Can we listen to Music?

2»

Comments

• [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=4;threadid=463;start=15#msg8125 date=1091374787]
    i really really like what u said, i think i heard it somewhere before

I think we heard that at ECCYC. lol

sleepy
  • I agree with you guys, as long as the song is clean, not tempting you or affecting you in a way that is bad.. then i guess it is ok.. but it is different with every person.. everyone's FOC should be able to determine what is right for every person..

[quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=4;threadid=463;start=15#msg8109 date=1091299050]
    i dunno egyptsangel16. i dont like other christian religions songs. they usually say things that we dont believe in, so i try to stick to coptic orthodox hymns.
    i think we r forgetting something. one reason we <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&amp;k=listen to music&quot; onmouseover="window.status='<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&amp;k=listen to music&quot; onmouseover="window.status='<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&amp;k=listen to music&quot; onmouseover="window.status='listen to music'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">listen to music</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">listen to music</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">listen to music</a> is because it is always changing. Our hymns although they r great r the same. youth sometimes look for change.
    many priests and bishops said as long as u balance and the music u listen to is clean and doesnt influence u it is ok.
    i mean, come one, realistically speaking, r there many pple that dont listen to music (besides CS ;)). as long u as u do it in moderation, i think its fine.

I disagree, i listen to christian contemporary music like almost all the time, along with coptic hymns, and they are reallly encouranging and sometimes they just want 2 make ya just fall on your knees and worship.. and as far as I know the songs themselves don't teach anything different, its not like they're hindering your relationship with Christ, rather, encouraging it. They're bringing glory to God in their songs.

So that brings me to another question, is it wrong to listen to music all the time, if its praising God? Is music like being an idol or another god becuase you are listening to it all the time? just a question i had for some time..

GBU all! :)

----------------------------
    pray 4 me, a sinner,

laura
  • I believe LostEgPrincess was talking about secular music. If the music doesn't influence you in a bad way then you're good to go. There's a story that I heard from Bishop Sourial at ECCYC and it's about a frog in a boiling pot. Has anyone else heard it or remembers it? You sticka frog in a pot with water at room temperature and it'll feel comfortable. Raise it one degree and it won't feel a difference, keep raising it a degree and it won't feel a difference, eventually, it'll feel that it's too hot, but by then it'll be too late. Be careful and check the temperature before you go for it.

sleepy
  • yea most music is not suposed to lissened to music .. my father of confession told me that not listening to music willl make u calmer .. he told me to do an experiment lol .. he sed not to lissen to music nd u'll be a completely different person .. it worked.. :)
  • all kinds of music??
  • Hi! this is not a complete answer to ur question but just few thoughts....

I think there r 2 types of music (I mean songs) to consider here: spiritual and non spiritual.

The spiritual type has roots since ages (like Psalms) and follows some general rules since long time.... it usually expresses God's glory, prayers, praises, hymns etc and the style is usually transmitted from generation to another with little changes here and there but remains with this spiritual feeling.

Every culture can be different from the other, but u can still feel it moves the spirit or it's sung for God and respects some rules.
    The song words are always spiritual in meaning and you usually find little use of drums and beat, instead it's using tempo instruments that are smooth or not too tough and using smooth and nice sounding acoustic instruments.

This is important I think: spiritual music is not meant to move your body at all but can really move your soul towards God. It is not revolting and can give you peace not anger and do not arouse your body sensations such as physical love etc

I think one should at least start by not listen to profanatory or lusty worded songs and dark or gothic style or too crazy kind of music....

to be continued!
  • nice.... :D
  • music is music. the more u label the more u confuse yourself about wat is right and wrong. let the holy spirit be your guide and u will simply know without having to prove it. just a thought
  • I personally think...music is wrong...like rap (swearing), R&B (there is not point), but the blues are fine...I mean most rap...swear...I hate rap...From my point of view...I don't listen to music...why is that?...well, because I used to listen to it when I was young...and I got rapped up with it...and that was when I was like 9 or 10...and plus...I'm in my teens now...and younger children look up to you...if you give them the wrong message of listening to music...there going to listen to it day and night...night and day...it's wrong...I don't like listening to any music...besides if it's like the blues on my piano (electric piano that is) or anything on my piano or in my room...and 1 question,
    WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    Is this your answer: because I love rap? because I like the rhythm...well, that's not the answer...I listen to hymns...I listen to hymns on my computer...or at church...or from any songs book...from the orthodox church...I only listen to Disney Music...If people think that is funny...well, laugh your heads off...because I'm following the word of God...and not getting the wrong message...Disney music...like mickey, and the gang (meaning the characters) or The theme songs of Disney Shows...I'm sorry if you thought this was harsh, but I wanted to show you all the right path...and not the wrong one!
  • arabic music is just as innocent as disney music...
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=463;start=45#msg38765 date=1126966607]
    arabic music is just as innocent as disney music...

true!
  • music it self is not wrong its the song or the words cause i actauly play the piano and it makes me calm either to play egyptian or hymns music

some people think music is the word but its the way the music goes and im serious rab somtimes makes u angry wantin to do somthing diffrent and stuff but if u play it on a keyboard its all bass and word not actual music ;)
  • hey now that my oppinion :D
  • In all the music I listen to I try to find the meaning to me, the message, the one not necessarily intended by the band. I don't listen to a lot of rap beacause to much of it is as shallow as a puddle and in looking for a meaning, you just get your feet soaked in mud... not worth it, although Kanye West (like Marmar said) is awesome, he's like the lone activist/reformist/rapper out there. Personally, I like bands like Coldplay and U2, whose songs to me have some meaning.

However, all these things are number two for me and this point is very important. I think that if you feel that you care more about a type of music or even just listenening to music, than the Church than something is wrong. All music is supposed to do is supplement to the Church, point you in the right direction with ideas of morals, values, and a strive to help others. And no song I've heard is perfect, compared to every song I've heard in Church which are all flawless. However, to each is his/her own Cross to carry. +
  • [quote author=Luke90 link=board=1;threadid=463;start=45#msg38894 date=1127020234] Personally, I like bands like Coldplay and U2, whose songs to me have some meaning.

;D I love you man
    loved every word
  • listening to the new damian marley album, encourages you to start war!

what a feeling it is
  • [quote author=MasrII link=board=1;threadid=463;start=45#msg39721 date=1128138319]
    listening to the new damian marley album, encourages you to start war!

what a feeling it is

what??!! ???
  • Huh? ??? What do you mean?
  • i think he means it just pumps him up
  • yeah it pumps you up neek,