All Christian Sects have salvation???

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Do Protestant Christian sects, not Christian cults and stuff, have a good chance at salvation. What does the church believe about people from other Christian sects? Any ideas?

Comments

• i think the only thing we have to rely on is the fact that our God is a Just Judge... what He chooses for those that aren't Orthodox is out of our hands.
  • I agree. I guess it's just hard to understand why people would reject so much tradition (Sacraments, Fasting, etc.) I think these are gifts from God to develop a bridge to him. It's possible you don't need all these special tools God gave us, but isn't better to get the job done using all your tools then not? In the case of the car mechanic, sometimes the best mechanic is the one who utilizes all his tools. I suppose you could fix a care by hand, but it would be more difficult and you probably won't do as good a job.
  • Yet guys you have to understand that there are speific verses determining how a person can enter the Kingdom of Heaven and sadly they do not follow it for example:

1.Baptism by water- they have baptism by confessing Christianity
    2.Holy Communion-they are strongly against it

Plus, there was a thread posted that said, there is no salvation outside the Church and I agree with it, I will try finding the link

Defender
  • Hey Defender, I think most protestants believe in baptism. They also have communion, but don't give it the same meaning. In my opinion, they lack the faith to believe in what we do. But I think we all make up the body of Christ. I view the protestant church as a weaker church, perhaps who have a different role in Heaven. There are different levels in Heaven I hear, maybe there are different roles also?

• God doesn't judge us based on what Church we are members of. There are good protestants as well as good Catholics and Orthodox. Just as there are good muslims and jews. GOd judges us based on what was available to us in this life, for us who have access to the sacraments, God judges us at a higher standard. The protestants and non-Christians will be judged by what was available to them, lets leave the judging to God. We show our faith first by example, secondly by words. St. Francis of Assissi used to say, "Lord, make me to be a witness for you, and use words only when necessary."
  • Hey Smessiah,
    I see what your asking. The church believes that in order to achieve salvation, you must partake in all the sacraments. Nonetheless, I'm not sure that someone who partakes in the sacraments at church, but not outside of church, should recieve salvation. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that salvation might be based your deeds and actions.
  • Salvation is a free gift, but how do we accept that gift? By participating in the Sacraments, and being a good person. Faith and Good Works.
  • quick verse(s)...
    "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2:14-18

you truly need both.. faith and works.. just wanted to make sure we all agree on that..
  • Awesome verse Mary,

Another verse to show my teacher...WOW! But guess I have to give it to her after exams or she'll fail me. lol

I'm saving all of these in a booklet, thanks!

Defender
  • Yeah, I don't like saying religious denomination determines your salvation. Everyone is judged based on their faith and good deeds. Christian sects worship God from different angles and take different paths to Heaven. Some paths shorter, some longer. For me, I feel the shortest path is in the Coptic Church. For someone else, that might not have similarly beliefs to myself, they might find their shorter path in a different church. Their church might not be the best path to God, but for them it is.
  • Yet there is no other way than Jesus Christ.

Defender
  • HG Bishop David gave a reply to this question recently.

His Grace referred to these verses:

Then one said to Him, "Lord, are there few who are saved?"
    And He said to them, "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. (Luke 13:23-24)

Our Lord's response was not a numerical answer but it was directed to the individual who asked the question, and He tells us to "strive to enter the narrow gate" and focus on our own salvation, rather than worrying about the judgment of others

Please remember me in your prayers
    David
  • That is an awesome reply, and awesome verse.

And guyz u have to remember that God speaks to us through those annointed to guide us, so no need to ask 1000 times, coz u'll always get the same answer.

Defender