Bible stories

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I was thinking...what your favorite bible story...besides...the story of our Lord...God bless you all!

Comments

• They are all beautiful, I really like how paul was changed, also the story of Esther is really nice. And of course Abrahaam, Issac, Jacob, and I really really like Joseph's. Also David's is nice...
  • its not really a story but my fav book is revelation
  • I never read it so I wouldn't know...
  • they read it on bright saturday in pascha but i fall asleep sometimes lol
  • the dont read the WHOLE book...
  • ya they do its only 22 chapters. they put candles in oil and read it all then annoint the congregation with the oil
  • ya they do its only 22 chapters. they put candles in oil and read it all then annoint the congregation with the oil

well, i don't like thinking about it cos i always either i don't consentrate or sleep or even sometimes i don't go i feel guilty but 4 me it seems so boring!
  • NOOOOOOO, it certainly isn't boring!! It's one of the most beautiful services held in church man, with tasbeha and a mass and yup, it's also cool cuz it starts at midnight lol :P But really, you have to go, you will certainly benefit from the experience.
  • My favorite story is the sinner woman that washed Jesus's feet with her tears and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and then at the end it says, her sins are forgiven because she loved much, so it shows you that if you have great love in your heart, love covers a multitude of sins, and i like when they say in the agbeya in the midnight prayer the second watch, "give me o Lord many fountains of tears, as you gave in past the sinful woman...."..........

Also I like the story of the sinner woman who everyone was about to stone, in the trinity cd the song says "she stood there in the open, among a sea of hatred, filthy, wretched became her name, and on the stones they carried, were written her transgressions, she stood condemned until He came and wiped all her tears away and gave her new life", so it shows you that even if everyone hates you, God will never stop loving you, no matter how bad you are, He welcomes you with open arms if you will just come back to Him and repent
  • wow princessMary!
    u didn't just tell the name of the story, u've even explained it and yea i really like this 1

my favourite storyIES (yea they r 2) r Moses story with the Israelites cos it's showing us when god is always with us promising us with a new life but we r still afraid and we fear everythin. miracles r seen and heard around us but we r still not placing our souls in His hands nor lifting our hearts up 2 Him
    but i still don't know a lot about the meaning of this story!

and my second 1 is David's cos it tells that even the King was in afflictions and weakness sometimes and so we shouldn't complain about our lives when facing any kind of troubles or temptations.
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2430;start=0#msg37726 date=1125975627]
    the dont read the WHOLE book...

no one can read the whole bible!!
    i never did and i will never do!!
  • My favrite story in the Bible is of St Stephen...

Imagine giving a speech so that everyone who was listening was "cut to the heart" and that they killed him even though his face was shining like an angels... I can never stop reading this story...I love St. Stephen

• Sandra,

There are many people who have read the whole Bible, and not just once, but many times. If you are convinced that you will never be able to read the whole Bible, then you never will. If you read about 3 chapters each day you can read the entire Bible in just one year.
  • it's not about just reading u know it also needs understanding and that's y ppl read a certain book many times
    i knew that cos like when i was about 10 and i read jesus' story it's sooo different when i read it now! i understand more and i accept more!
  • There are many people who have read the whole Bible, and not just once, but many times. If you are convinced that you will never be able to read the whole Bible, then you never will. If you read about 3 chapters each day you can read the entire Bible in just one year.

maybe older people!!
  • not neccesarily! wen i was in fourth grade, a girl in my class was given an award for reading the whole bible! the comprehension like mnc_hnn mentioned might not have been there but she finished the whole bible
    its possible lol dont lose confidence in yourself ;D
  • r u serios...in 4th grade!!okay i didn't even get to finish the new testement!
  • neither did i lol but that doenst mean i'm not going to ;D
    how about we pray for each other to finish the bible before 18? sound good? ;)
  • not neccesarily! wen i was in fourth grade, a girl in my class was given an award for reading the whole bible! the comprehension like mnc_hnn mentioned might not have been there but she finished the whole bible

oiy, oiy who said that i've read the WHOLE BIBLE !!!!

I HAVE NOT

anyways:

how about we pray for each other to finish the bible before 18? sound good?

FANTASTIC IDEA!
    so i'll pray 4 u 2 so would u plz pray 4 me?
  • ok, count me in too! lol, hopefully we'll all finish it before 18

P.S. My dad read the bible a couple times...
  • lol ok then sounds like a plan ;D

• Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.”
    But He answered her not a word.
    And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.”
    But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
    Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!”
    But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
    And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”
    Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.(matt 21-28)

From there He arose and went to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And He entered a house and wanted no one to know it, but He could not be hidden. For a woman whose young daughter had an unclean spirit heard about Him, and she came and fell at His feet. The woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phoenician by birth, and she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. But Jesus said to her, “Let the children be filled first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
    And she answered and said to Him, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs under the table eat from the children’s crumbs.” (mark24-30)
    Then He said to her, “For this saying go your way; the demon has gone out of your daughter.”
    And when she had come to her house, she found the demon gone out, and her daughter lying on the bed.

• “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
    And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”

i don't get this bit! :(
    plz some1 explain ??? ::)
  • I think it means that Christ came as a light to the jews to fulfil their prophesies...while at the same time bearing the sins of everyone jew and gentile. The jews are the children and the gentiles are the little dogs as the jews wre the chsen people of God. Therefore the works and miracles Jesus did were in part to help the jews believe that Jesus is the prophesied Messiah.

This gentile women tho by saying that even the little dogs eat crumbs from the table means that she is proclaiming her faith in Him...and because of this He healed her daughter.

I think its something like wen St. Paul was rejected by the Jews, he went out from among them saying "from now on I go to the gentiles."
  • Basically the children are the Jews, and the dogs are the Gentiles. When Christ said this, he was testing the woman's faith. To explain her response, she means that even the Gentiles get a part of God's mercy, which is why Christ healed her daughter, because that meant she had faith in him.
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2430;start=15#msg38659 date=1126826394]
    Basically the children are the Jews, and the dogs are the Gentiles. When Christ said this, he was testing the woman's faith. To explain her response, she means that even the Gentiles get a part of God's mercy, which is why Christ healed her daughter, because that meant she had faith in him.

now it is easier thanks christ4life!!
  • but above the gentile or jew... let us just examin how this woman was very humble... that she even compared herself to the dogs...
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=1;threadid=2430;start=15#msg38693 date=1126879832]
    but above the gentile or jew... let us just examin how this woman was very humble... that she even compared herself to the dogs...

• thanks for explaining :)

wow that's nice!