PICK A POPE

What is the Way or the Recipe to pick a POPE? in Coptic Orthodox? does anybody no?

Comments

• All the Bishops gather in one liturgy and they write down all the names of the people nominated and put it on the alter, and then they pick a person out of hat, and in the picking of Pope Kyrillos, the youngest deacon picked it out i dont know if they still do that or not
  • if that is true.. that way is alot less stressful then the cathoilcs.. lol
  • How do Catholics do it?
  • smoke and voting and stuff like that.. i dont no the details
  • Catholics picking popes. Lets see, first of all its called conclave and all these cardinals gather together and vote. There is no connection to the outside world and they tell ppl outside by the color of smoke, i think if they have a pope its white and if not (meaning there is not a majority of 2/3rd's on 1 cardinal) the smoke is black, but I'm not sure about that last part.

I don't know that well how we pick popes but I know that there is always a sign from God.
  • i have no idea about both of them! ::)
  • I think that the way catholics do it is not right, becuz they are leaving the decision to man and not to God. 1 thing to add to what kyrillos said is that there is also a blank card put on the altar, and if it is chosen then God doesnt want any of those that were nominated.

-Pete
  • oh yeah i forgot about that....oops
  • ok im i didt totlly understand the thing about the smoke thingy can u make it clear plz :'(
  • bigmak...I think Christ4Life...was referring to was...they show white smoke if they have a pope...and if they have black smoke they have a cardinal was it right Christ4Life...how about you explain it...sorry for budding in!
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=board=4;threadid=2436;start=0#msg37938 date=1126114122]
    I think that the way catholics do it is not right, becuz they are leaving the decision to man and not to God. 1 thing to add to what kyrillos said is that there is also a blank card put on the altar, and if it is chosen then God doesnt want any of those that were nominated.

-Pete

yah... I agree w/ u
  • actually the way we, the orthodox do it, is by the bishops think would be the best person for the job. then the top three most voted for have their names put in to a cup, then they draw out of the cup. the name they pull out is the name of the person who will become the next pope.

irini pasi
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=4;threadid=2436;start=0#msg37958 date=1126125676]
    bigmak...I think Christ4Life...was referring to was...they show white smoke if they have a pope...and if they have black smoke they have a cardinal was it right Christ4Life...how about you explain it...sorry for budding in!

No you understood me wrong. The cardinals are the ones who vote for who becomes pope, and the person who becomes a pope was a cardinal before. You get it? Like all of the people that vote are cardinals, and they vote for one of them to be pope. If 2/3ds of the cardinals have picked a pope, they burn white smoke (I think). If they haven't, and they have to start voting again, they burn black smoke...
  • yeah i was like what is he talking about...thanks christ4life...
  • what i no about this is that in the coptic orthdox way yes the general bishops of the areas in there monasteries pick a bishop that they think is the "best" and ready and they pick it from the sign of god, this also reflects with the catholic priests when they are in the room someone mentioned that man is picking not god well you have to think that god is with them helping them make the decision. So when all the bishops are picked there names are written down on different pieces of paper and they are placed into a hat than the hat is plaecd on the altar and a liturgy is prayed than after the liturgy they get a young kid to pick a name out of the hat and it is siad that it is the holy spirit that picks the name out not really the kid, so than that name picked is our next pope. 8)
  • i agree with everything that ABasanti said except for one thing...u said they get names of Bishops..well they get monks as well..the Popes in the past were mostly not former Bishops but monks...Pope Shenouda was one of mayB 3 in History to have been a bishop before being a Pope. The requirements to be a nominee is that you are a monk or you are a GENERAL Bishop.

yah so then they pray on them on the altar like everyone said, then a young child picks it..nd it is aid that the right name is picked THREE times in a row !! so yah God definetly has part in it...actually let me correct myself...GOD IS THE ONE WHO PICKS ! lol yah well i hope i was of any help
  • Wow!
    Reading this thread, it is a lot shorter than 31 pages.
    How innocent we were in those days!
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=topic=2436.msg37938#msg37938 date=1126114122]
    I think that the way catholics do it is not right, becuz they are leaving the decision to man and not to God.  1 thing to add to what kyrillos said is that there is also a blank card put on the altar, and if it is chosen then God doesnt want any of those that were nominated.

-Pete

So Pete,  if the blank card gets drawn does that mean they start the whole nominating and election process again or what happens? & has that ever happen before?
  • Pete hasn't posted in over a year so I'm not sure he is the one I would ask...
  • [quote author=George_Mina link=topic=2436.msg156686#msg156686 date=1339598401]
    Pete hasn't posted in over a year so I'm not sure he is the one I would ask...

Just because someone doesn't go on the Tasbeha forums often, that doesn't disqualify him from discussing a topic.
  • [quote author=caji link=topic=2436.msg156688#msg156688 date=1339601883]
    [quote author=George_Mina link=topic=2436.msg156686#msg156686 date=1339598401]

Just because someone doesn't go on the Tasbeha forums often, that doesn't disqualify him from discussing a topic.

On most forums, there is a rule about resurrecting threads that died years ago.
  • Okay, in that case. Would anyone else know what would happen if the blank card gets picked out?
  • [quote author=caji link=topic=2436.msg156688#msg156688 date=1339601883]

I think his saying that its just going to take him a while to respond.. don't turn a spark into a fire
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=2436.msg156954#msg156954 date=1340174169]
    [quote author=caji link=topic=2436.msg156688#msg156688 date=1339601883]

I think his saying that its just going to take him a while to respond.. don't turn a spark into a fire

Thank you.