The Chronicles of Narnia

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey guys,
I was just about to begin reading for the first time in my life The Chronicles of Narnia. I've heard from more than one person that the author, C.S. Lewis, who is a Christian writer, wrote the whole thing in a way where you can see very many Christian symbols in the text. Is this true? And if so, can anyone give me any insight as to what these symbols are?

Thanks,
Dany

Comments

• The main symbol would be ASLAN the lion. He represents Jesus Christ---the lion of the tribe of Judah.

Aslan is the son of the great emperor(God the Father)who lives across the seas(Heaven).

The whole book is full of christian symbolism and most are pretty obvious....especially the ones relating to Jesus sacrifice on the cross(I wont spoil it by telling you...lol).

Faith,water baptism,etc,etc are all symbolized throughout the book.

You may be interested to know that there are several Narnia movies out there(one animated))and a brand new one coming out this summer or fall.

God bless and enjoy these great books! :)
  • Thanks Jfranklin! I'd knew you'd come to the rescue! Yea I've heard about the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe coming out december 9th, and it looks REALLY good! But yea, thanks! I was just asking cause I usually don't catch on very quickly, so hopefully I'll be able to figure them out. Thanks for telling me about them without spoiling the books though! You rock.

Pray for me,
    Dany
  • Yea I've heard about the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe coming out december 9th, and it looks REALLY good!

Yeah,it does look really good,especially the "special affects"....But I didnt know I'd have to wait until Dec. 9th to see it...lol....

I hope you enjoy the entire series....my favorite was ," A horse and his boy"...lol... ;)
  • This is kinda off topic, but my cousin was telling me that Lord of the Rings was somehow 'Christian' too..she even has a book thats called Finding Christ in LOTR.. :-\

what do you guys think?

• Yeah.....J.R.R. Tolkien (the author of "The Rings" series) was also a Christian....though the symbols in that seriers are not as obvious as in the Narnia Chronicles.
  • This is kinda off topic, but my cousin was telling me that Lord of the Rings was somehow 'Christian' too..she even has a book thats called Finding Christ in LOTR..

Yeah.....J.R.R. Tolkien (the author of "The Rings" series) was also a Christian....though the symbols in that seriers are not as obvious as in the Narnia Chronicles.

I really like "The Rings series" but I really dont see the christian symbolism....Actually alot of J.R.R Tolkiens work is based on Norse(Viking) mythology. I guess the christian symbolism is there,I just cant see it...lol ;D
  • Wow!!! :o I never knew that!! Thx for pointing it out! Now I'm inspired to read them
  • Actually....if I remember correctly, I believe J.R.R. Tolkien was actually a friend of C.S. Lewis.
  • Actually....if I remember correctly, I believe J.R.R. Tolkien was actually a friend of C.S. Lewis.

They were very good friends and were both members of the same faculty including a group that met weekly to discuss literary projects.They would read their manuscripts critiquing each others work.Supposedly Tolkien didnt like the Narnia stories because they werent "realistic" enough...lol...He didnt like the style...lol...But God blessed the work of both men....and as they say--"the rest is history". ;)
  • I love that book we read it in the 6th grade and now the the movie is coming out I really want it on dvd, but it's a good movie and C.S. Lewis has great sense of writing I loved how he when you read it you can actually picture it!
  • oh i remember that on a site of roman orthodox there's an artical about 'finding Christ in harry potter'