Why 41?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the agpeya readings in every hour...We have to say the 41 kirialison (Lord Have Mercy)..so was just asking what is the significance of the number 41?

Comments

• was it something to do with the number of times Jesus was wipped?
  • ya i think it does but jesus was wipped 39 times so the 2 left are for....i think spitting on his face and when they hit him with the reed on his head....im not sure...if im wrong, please correct me...pray for me
  • I thought it was 36 whips 3 nails 1 spear 1 crown of thorns= 41.
  • 39 whips
    1 crown
    1 stab
    ---------- +
  • Hi all,
    The website www.agpeya.org has very good info on this . I have been looking all this up these past few days and yes it also says 39 for the lashes + one for the Stab and one for the crown of thorns.

I hope this helps.

Peace

Geraldine
  • also the 5 holes on the orbana, 1 is for the crown of thorns, 1 for the spear, 2 for the nails in his hands, 1 for the nail on his feet
  • Thanks guys..makes sense

Related question thou....why 100 in every direction in Good Friday, does it have any significance?
  • i think it might have to do with the miracle of the moukattam mountain because they prayed keryalyson 100 times in each direction then too, or maybe they r not related im not sure?
  • 10 * 10 = 100
    Christ completed the law as we say in the Gregorian liturgy...maybe it has to do with the Salvation that was completed, and we do it in every direction cause the salvation is for the whole world. Just a thought, i'm making things up here lol
  • about the 41 times thing
    they say it 41 times because jesus fasted 41 days
    simon the shoemaker said it it 40 times ( when the mountain moved they said it one more time)
    moses fasted 41 times

--- others fasted 41 times too
  • great point John
  • i dont think it has to do anything with fasting, but 41 because jesus got whipped 39 times and when he got spat on and when they hit him with the reed so thats 41
  • [quote author=kiropidiakonos link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=0#msg33579 date=1122498075]
    i dont think it has to do anything with fasting, but 41 because jesus got whipped 39 times and when he got spat on and when they hit him with the reed so thats 41

this is the right answer!!
  • actually the right answer is the 39 whips... 1 crown... 1 hit with the reed... and the orbana... 5 holes... two for the holes of the feet... two for the holes of the hands... and one for the hole of the spear... thus 5 holes... in the body.... 5 holes... in the orbana
  • actually bishoy the orbana has 5 holes for-1 the crown, 2 for each of the hands, 1 for the feet, 1 for the spear
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33599 date=1122509300]
    actually bishoy the orbana has 5 holes for-1 the crown, 2 for each of the hands, 1 for the feet, 1 for the spear

so jesus had only one hole on the feet?
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33630 date=1122560326]
    [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33599 date=1122509300]
    actually bishoy the orbana has 5 holes for-1 the crown, 2 for each of the hands, 1 for the feet, 1 for the spear

Yes. Only one nail for both feet, over each other.

So...anyone else on why the 100 kirialision in every direction?
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33631 date=1122560885]
    [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33630 date=1122560326]
    [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33599 date=1122509300]

Yes. Only one nail for both feet, over each other.

sorry didnt answer your question... let not get in the nails... for that in itself is a long story... but what I am asking is did Jesus have two HOLES... or one... if one then okay one leg was just swinging... but as we mentioned the crown is already counted among the 41... thus in the orbana... its only the HOLES... which is two hole one in the left and one in the right hand... and two holes one in the left and one in the right foot... and one hole from the spear... thus five holes.... and five holes in the orbana... two on the top, opposing each other (for the hands)... one in the middle on the left sid (for the spear) and two on bottom... for the holes of the feet.
  • It is one nail through the two feet, go look at any cross, there is a nail going through the two feet, so there is two holes in each foot.
    ya, I guess for the orbana, they just count the holes, but in the 41, they mention the crown and the hit with the redd.
  • So...anyone else on why the 100 kirialision in every direction?

The tenth letter of Coptic… or rather every language except Arabic… is the first letter of Jesus, according to the language… so ten is Perfection… or blessedness…. Thus when Christ in an Icon has the thumb on the tip of the ring finger… it is an Icon of Christ blessing us. Now not the only number ten is the number of completion… but also 20, 30, 40, and on… and 100… so one hundred is a number of completion. Now by the time we do the 100 prostrations… Christ is dead on the cross… and going down to Hades, and saving the world… now we do it from the East to the West… and from the north to the south… so now we are declaring salvation to the whole world to all the four corners of the world…

Now this is only a meditation I have… I don’t know if the church’s view of it… but number wise… they are from the church view…

and I also dont know why the 12... towards the east.
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33634 date=1122564270]
    The tenth letter of Coptic… or rather every language except Arabic… is the first letter of Jesus

wan-nabee? are you sure?.......

But then again....if you wanna count the "R" in ar-Rabb Yisoo3 al-masee7, then it really is the first letter in His Name.
  • But then again....if you wanna count the "R" in ar-Rabb Yisoo3 al-masee7, then it really is the first letter in His Name.

lol.. I dont know which part is funny... you stating this fact... or you not even knowing how to say that sentance... LOL... you just make me laugh dude.... lol

but actually there is a special way of doing it in arabic... but it the formal arabic I think... the pope said it before...
  • I was just reading and realized yes its off topic but the gourban point i remember there was once a thread about this and everyone was saying the 5th hole is for the crown on his head and some people even cited it from books but the way i no it is that two for each hand (Two holes) one in chest (one hole) and TWO in FEET, Thus if you take the nail out and put the feet side by side you have not one but TWO holes, i dont think the nail has any significance to this because it is a cross that he is on no room for both feet and if it were the nails we would be counting the nails as one, two and three but than we wouldnt count the hole in the chest we would be couting the sword if this were the case, so the crone has nothing to do with this since there are MANY holes in the head............ this is how i no it srry in advance if i am wrong......... and as for the 41 kyrelisons, i think it is 39 whips, 1 for the crown, and 1 for the spear (not spitting because they did many other things along wiht spitting)
  • the 41 ya habibi is not 39 whipps and the crown and the spear...the crown and the spear were not yet till he got crucxified however u spell it lol...but the whipps and the spitting and the hitting with the reed were while he was tried so.... 39 whipps + 1 for spitting at his face + hitting him on his head with the reed= 41 and im sooooo sure of this....
  • no for the CROWN! for the reed! and for the 39 whips...
  • remember in the bible it says... THEY spat in his face.... thus more than one spit... so it would be more than only one if it was the spitting.
  • thas tru ya HABIBI :D recall how i said that the spitting happend more than once, and there were things thrown at him and many other things that happened, why arent these counted, spitting was a minor thing.......................
  • also don't forget the extra 50 for mother mary
  • MarMar91, please read the previous posts...

[quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=15#msg33760 date=1122680903]
    also don't forget the extra 50 for mother mary

wait... what?
  • On Good friday, after the 400 keryalison, there is 50 kerayilison toward the east for St. Mary...i think that's what she meant.