Arabic Names

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
So what's is a name?

If we are given our names at birth when we have no say in the matter, then do you think it is right that we should continue to use say Arabic or Islamic names? particularly when those that enter the priesthood (the church) change their names and adopt a Christian name?

I mean "Peter" is a Greek name meaning stone/rock. Do you think it is acceptable that we should have say the name "Mohamed" as a Christian.

This is a true life issue of great concern. Perhaps many of you are aware the we have Islamic people from other faiths that convert to Christainity. These people although have been touched by God they feel that somehow they would anger their family, community etc... if they knew - something that is quite common back in Egypt.

What's your view? What's the Coptic Orthodox Church's view?

Comments

• Usually when people convert to our religion or vice versa, we adopt a name that goes with the beliefs. Once you convert, you'realready abeliever and you could care less about the change. Actually, you'd like it because you become a new person completely.

sleepy
  • A name says a lot about you, though people shouldn't use it to judge you. Lets say someone's name is Mohammed. Obviously no Christian name their kids Mohammed because he is a heretic. And no muslims name their kids Anthony because they are not Christian.

Now if you truely believe in Christ you will love him enough to declare it to the world. And if you still want to your family to have respect for you you can do 2 things: 1) Talk to your priest and do what he tells you. 2) Pick a name that both religions agree on, such as Sherif.
  • Whoa, good one. Sherif....lol
    That's my cousin's name. lol

sleepy
  • my favorite name is "Steven" since its after St. Steven the 1st martyr and im a deacon so thats why
  • Isn't that a coincidence (even though I don't believe in them...lol), but that's my favorite saint, and I was practically named after him. lol

sleepy
  • lol probably....but ya him and st. john the baptist been helpin me out alot lately...GBU
  • Usually when people convert to our religion or vice versa, we adopt a name that goes with the beliefs. Once you convert, you'realready abeliever and you could care less about the change. Actually, you'd like it because you become a new person completely.

I just wanted to say that thats not always the case, because anba Sarabamon, bishop of Sudan, came to our church 1 time and was telling us how they forced people over there to have muslim names even if they r christian, but they stopped doing so lately, so now they can name kids christian names but its funny because he said there are kids that are named Peter Muhamad or something like that :), so a lot of them are christian with muslim names ;D
  • anba basanti??? isnt that bishop of 7elwan in egypt? cause anba sarapamon, bishop of sudan was here in the southern diocese last month...lol i dunno maybe im wrong or somethin
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=2176;start=0#msg33318 date=1122163989]

Usually when people convert to our religion or vice versa, we adopt a name that goes with the beliefs. Once you convert, you'realready abeliever and you could care less about the change. Actually, you'd like it because you become a new person completely.

I just wanted to say that thats not always the case, because anba Basanti, bishop of Sudan, came to our church 1 time and was telling us how they forced people over there to have muslim names even if they r christian, but they stopped doing so lately, so now they can name kids christian names but its funny because he said there are kids that are named Peter Muhamad or something like that :), so a lot of them are christian with muslim names ;D

Well, I was just talking about things in general. I mean, obviously, there are always going to be things that stand in the way of us geting closer to God, but at the same time, in most cases, people converting over will usually change their name to suti their new beliefs. Thanks for the info PrincessMary. I didn't know that.

sleepy

P.S. Sure glad I'M not Peter Muhammed. lol
  • well i kinda think its wrong to try to hide ur name and anything related to religion..cause to me it sounds like theyre ashamed or something and jesus himself said whoever accepts me i will accept him infront of my father and whoever denies me i will deny him infont of my father and the angels....something like that...thats just what i think...
  • sry i got a few other examples...like in egypt if ur wearing my cross their like omg hide it under ur shirt...why??? whats gonna happen to u??? or if u have a cross on ur wrist they always hide it...then whats the purpose of it? didnt they have it in the early centuries to be known as christians by it??? i wouldnt try to hide anything...like the apostles they were happy and joyful because they were beaten for the name of christ as its said in the acts i think...
  • That's a great way to look at things, but at the same time not everyone is ready to confess their faith.

There was this story ( I don't know if I got it off here, but anyway...)
    Two armed men walked into a church full of people. They said, "anyone willing to take a bullet for Christ remain in your seats" after that everyone scrambled for the door to leave. In the end about 20 people, including abouna, were left. Then the two men turned to abouna and said "alright, we've gottne rid of all the hypocrites, you can keep going, have a nice day." They walked out and the mass continued on.

sleepy
  • sorry i meant anba sarabamon, i have all the names mixed up :-[
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=2176;start=0#msg33331 date=1122168385]

There was this story ( I don't know if I got it off here, but anyway...)
    Two armed men walked into a church full of people. They said, "anyone willing to take a bullet for Christ remain in your seats" after that everyone scrambled for the door to leave. In the end about 20 people, including abouna, were left. Then the two men turned to abouna and said "alright, we've gottne rid of all the hypocrites, you can keep going, have a nice day." They walked out and the mass continued on.

sleepy

Nice! I've never heard that before. :o

Ps. Sorry for going off the topic, do continue...
  • lol. I liked it a lot too. From that day, I always thought to myself, would I be one of the people who ran (hypocrites) or one of the people who stayed (true worshipper).

sleepy