First Miracle......

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
I have a question for all...

The bible said "don't drink" (not exact quote) then why was Jesus' first miracle turning water into wine?? ???

Comments

• Drinking is iight as long as u dont abuse it
    Get wat i am sayin?
    Peace
    Marina
  • What i ment was that thew bible practicly said getting drunk is bad, although Jesus himself turned water into wine, and as usual probably at least 1 person got drunk that night (don't u agree)

Anyways
    Peace..sry to bother everyone....

Bishoy
  • that is a good question... i mean god did it for a reason... lol sorry i really can not explain... in a sad mood :'(
    batikha-basketball :'( :'(
  • U are like an answering machine..i post it then a minute later u answer it.

P.S God be with u in ur sad mood... :'( :'( :'(

Peace

Bishoy
  • thanks

Peace

Bishoy

• I think Abouna gave a lecture on this a while ago. He said drinking in itself wasn't wrong, yet getting drunk is wrong. You said ppl during the wedding of cana got drunk right? Just because at least 10 ppl today get drunk at weddings doesn't mean they did in Christ's time. Plus water wasn't that clean, wine was probably healthier
  • Ya ur right thanks a lot cause that was confusing me..lol...
  • great job everyone... lol thanks!!!!! ;) god bless you all!!!!
    batikha-basketball :)
  • i guess that the link helped!
  • [glow=red,2,300]yet getting drunk is wrong[/glow] that is what one of the lectures we had at the convention and it was true one of the priests said the same exact thing!!!!!! great job!!! lol
    batikha-basketball :)
  • but some people use it as a madisen(sorry for spelling)is that still wrong? :'(
  • sandrahanna-if they use it for medicine they drink a glass which is not enough for someone to get drunk. but like basketball said that drinking in itself is not wrong but getting drunk is. That doesnt mean that you go and drink because that can cause addiction which in turn a sin because its like "worshiping" something. You cant have 2 masters as the bible says. Any way the point of the reply is to say that driniking with your doctor's supervision or advise for medicine is not bad but also the person has to let their father of confession know.
  • hey but they are some people that drugs as a medicin let them tired is that wrong??i mean is it still used as a drug???
  • If people will use drugs or alcohol as medicine it would be under the supervision of their doctor. It is not wrong but again your father of confession has to be aware! ok I think I just misunderstood ur question...I answered in general but ur asking if they use drus to make themselves tired as in sleep aids? Sleep aids should be used under the supervision of a doctor! Im not gonna say if that is right or wrong because I would personally advise against it. Let me know if I answered your question and if I didnt then what did u mean by let them tired?
  • as long as it's prayed on then it's perfectly fine
  • ok.....Thx for the replies

Peace
  • but guys memba that the water jesus turned into wine wasnt alcoholic so i think its totally different
    - i dunno jus my view

• but some people use it as a madisen(sorry for spelling)is that still wrong?

let us remember that alcohol is never mentioned bad by the bible... yet drunkenness is... many medications have some percentage of alcohol.... even in the bible it is prescribed... "No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities." so Alcohol is not bad... drunkenness is!

but guys memba that the water jesus turned into wine wasnt alcoholic so i think its totally different

Wait… who said that… it was alcoholic… if it wasn’t alcoholic then it would be grape juice… which would be less liked by the guests…
  • Saying that its okay to drink as long as you don’t get drunk is the same as saying you can have sex as long as you don’t get/get anybody pregnant.
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=13;threadid=2031;start=15#msg33461 date=1122321154]
    Saying that its okay to drink as long as you don’t get drunk is the same as saying you can have sex as long as you don’t get/get anybody pregnant.

lol... well I am stating church rules... from the mouth of the pope... and anba rewes... and a few priests...
  • is it a sin to cut urself bcuz of depression... yes
    is it a sin to tatoo ur body... yes
    is it a sin to destroy ur body in anyway... yes
    is drinking not harming ur liver... or kidney or w.e.... yes

drinking is rong... there is a verse in the Bible... ill try to find it but it goes on the lines of... "if alcohol ever touches your lips you shall not enter heaven..."

Why doesn't abouna drink if it isnt rong?
  • Why doesn't abouna drink if it isnt rong?

I've met priests that drink...

is drinking not harming ur liver... or kidney or w.e.... yes

too much would do that... but really its healthy... like a glass of wine...

remember the bible never said alcohol is bad... but drunkeness is!

Again... these teachings are not from my mouth...
  • ok let's look at it from another prespective...when u just drink one glass or whatever...aren't u putting urself in temptation of drinking more than just one glass...or are we just too strong that we know it will only be that one drink and tht's it...
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=13;threadid=2031;start=15#msg33486 date=1122336975]

Why doesn't abouna drink if it isnt rong?

I've met priests that drink...

Priests that drink...then they don't really believe in God
    And by the way I am 100% sure that it wasn't a Coptic Christian Priest

Correct me if I'm wrong but I know that Coptic Christian Priests don't drink
  • ok let's look at it from another prespective...when u just drink one glass or whatever...aren't u putting urself in temptation of drinking more than just one glass...or are we just too strong that we know it will only be that one drink and tht's it...

we are talking about drinking. (period) is it wrong no.... one glass will pull to the other, when in weddng or what not... but while at home drinking a glass of wine with the madam... nothing wrong at all... and you have to be the legal age of the country you are in to drink... than nothing is wrong....

Priests that drink...then they don't really believe in God
    And by the way I am 100% sure that it wasn't a Coptic Christian Priest

Correct me if I'm wrong but I know that Coptic Christian Priests don't drink

that is a wrong statement for this priest, brought me closer to God, just by talking to him... he is egyptian, and he is coptic... I am not going to mention his name... but I can pm it to you... so again I repeat my self... alcohol is not a sin... but drunkeness is...
    oh yeah the priest is COPTIC ORTHODOX!
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=13;threadid=2031;start=15#msg33425 date=1122302050]

but some people use it as a madisen(sorry for spelling)is that still wrong?

let us remember that alcohol is never mentioned bad by the bible... yet drunkenness is... many medications have some percentage of alcohol.... even in the bible it is prescribed... "No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities." so Alcohol is not bad... drunkenness is!

but guys memba that the water jesus turned into wine wasnt alcoholic so i think its totally different

Wait… who said that… it was alcoholic… if it wasn’t alcoholic then it would be grape juice… which would be less liked by the guests…

i believe sorry i dont have a refewrence but i remember it being sober wine

aghape,
    chris
  • sorry guys, but whoever thinks Jesus turned water into alcoholic wine is wrong.

take this verse,

Joh 2:10 And he said to him, Every man at the beginning sets forth good wine, and when men have drunk well, then that which is worse. You have kept the good wine until now.

In various lectures I have sat, the explanation is thus... GOOD WINE is sobering wine, when they drank the good wine, people woke up. They didnt get more drunk, or else they would have not noticed it was good wine.

cool?
  • actually the verse says... And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

and to me that sound as if they were talking about the taste. because you would get the bad stuff, bad tasting to the drunk people. who are already drunk to notice the less alcohol... or the less taste.
  • (Talk about a late response amirite)
    Hello everyone from 11 years ago.. I'm updating this so other people can find it.

Personally, I have been taught that a- deacons should not smoke or drink *much*. I put stars around must because this was an old PDF and it was translated, so I believe the Arabic meant that deacons should not become drunk. So deacons, try to avoid alcohol. And priests are deacons too, so any priest drinking is most likely doing so in moderation and carefulness.
    To the non-deacons: I asked a priest about this, and I got this answer.
    Just because it's -mentioned- in the bible doesn't immediately make it right. The Pharisees judging and testing Jesus was not right, yet it is in the bible. So be careful in your questions and justifications.
    The wine Jesus made from water was most likely alcoholic, because it would not be wine if it were non-alcoholic- it'd be juice. Humans all have free will, the choice between good and evil. It is just like how having a nice phone and using it doesn't make it bad- the second it is used for sin (illegal actions, talking to people you shouldn't, etc.) It is a problem. In other words, if it doesn't take you away from God and your life with him, its ok.
    Drinking a glass of wine is ok (if its legal- St. Paul says in Romans that all law and authority is from God) isn't a sin, but getting drunk is because being drunk directly leads to many other sins (cursing, rudeness, maybe even death, etc.) So having a good time at a wedding with a glass of wine? Sure! Just don't drink 20 and get drunk- God first.

RECAP:
    Deacons? You ESPECIALLY don't get drunk- You're examples to the congregation.
    Everyone? Drink responsibly, don't get drunk, and make sure your Godly life comes first.

God Bless,
    Daniel.