Candles

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does anybody know where i can get information on candles?
it would really help me alot. thank you and may God bless you

Comments

• google.com
    type in candles, but say what kind so they don't give you a site to buy candles
  • sorry i wasnt really clear. i mean does anybody know like where i can find information on candles like symbolism in church and what they represent.
  • ya you can go to askjeeves.com
    and then ask them about symbolism of candles
  • aren't candels a symbolism of light in the church...i am just giving a wild guess...more information would be welcomed...
  • here is a lecture by anba youssef on the use of candles
    http://www.suscopts.org/messages/lectures/misclecture7.pdf

+ Lights & Candles in the Church:

The Church was likened to a Lampstand, “the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.” (Rev 1:20)

The Church is also called the congregation of the faithful about whom it was said; “the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.” (Mt 13:43) and our Lord said, “let
    your light so shine before men …” (Mt 5:16).

Moreover, the Church is the house of God and “God is light
    and in Him is no darkness at all” (1 Jn 1:5). – Thus lighting candles and lamps in the Church reminds us of all the above and it is no surprise to read in the Holy Book of Acts that, “there were many lamps in the upper room where they were gathered together” (Acts 20:8).

Likewise, we light candles during the reading of the Holy Gospel because it was written, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Ps 119:105) –

We also light candles in front of the icons of saints in accordance with the words of our Lord that the saints are the light of the world (Mt 5:14) and to acknowledge that they sacrificed their lives and carried the cross in order to give us light and guidance the same way the candles melt away to give light.