The Apocrypha

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
What exactly is the apocrypha. i have never even heard of it. i have a new study bible with the apocrypha but i have no idea what it is. maybe u can tell me.

GBU ;D

Comments

• The Apocrypha, or deutero-canonicals, are the books of the Old Testament which only exist in the Greek Septuagint and don't exist in the Hebrew (correct me if i'm wrong). Protestants consider these books, for reasons too ridiculous to discuss, to not be inspired. But the Church has always considered these books to be inspired.

They include (just a select few): Maccabees, Tobit, Esdras, Bel and the Dragon

Also, interesting enough, the Ethiopian Bible includes the Books of Jubilees and Enoch.
  • Just A side notw i believe we reject the book of enoch
    aghape,
    chris
  • The Deuterocanon
    Old Testament - Holy Bible

The Deuterocanon books are a part of the Holy Bible.. The Protestants removed them from the Bible saying they were not the word of God, Although there are many evidences and historical proofs to verify them! The Orthodox and Catholic Churches believe in them.. .

It was not until 1519 that there arose a huge uncalled-for controversy about how many books the Bible contains. Is it 73, as Orthodox and Catholics claim, or 66, as Protestants hold? In other words, do the books of Tobit, Judith, 1+2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch, indeed belong to the Bible, or are they not inspired and should not be contained therefore in the Sacred Scriptures? These disputed books are referred to as the "deutero-canonical books" by Orthodox & Catholics, and as the "apocryphal books" by Protestants.

You can read the rest of the article on:

http://www.st-takla.org/pub_Deuterocanon/Deuterocanon-Apocrypha_El-Asfar_El-Kanoneya_El-Tanya__0-index.html

• That was a cool link to St. Takla's in Alexandria. I get on that website sometimes, but I haven't noticed this before. There is a lot that is beneficial spiritually to the deuterocanical books! 4 Maccabees is very instructional on how reason has the potential to be much stronger than the flesh. It gives many examples of martyrs and what they went through, and therefore proved their point. Also, there are some of these books, or fragments of them that have been found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. I find it very foolish to throw these books out the window as most of protestantism has done (and I used to be protestant, and was baptized into the Coptic Church).
    Great link!
  • I find it very foolish to throw these books out the window as most of protestantism has done (and I used to be protestant, and was baptized into the Coptic Church).
    Great link!

Welcome topper to tasbeha website,

I am very happy for you choosing the Orthodox faith and being baptised into the Coptic Church, I am so exited to see the work of the Holy Spirit how He can make such profound miraculous change.

I like too this St. Takla website. By the way they got the first place in competition among the churches in Egypt. They are so friendly, that when I need any thing they help.