the 'unforgivable sin'!?!?!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
heey guys,
so i was in sunday schoool, and my teacher tells me that blasphemy is unforgivable ??? ??? ???...is that true!?....i always thought if u do ANYTHING and truly repent,. . ..then ur forgiven

anyone know anythinggg bout that!?

Comments

• Luke 12:8

I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Blasphemy against the Father and the Son is forgiven. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit isn’t. I’m not really sure what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit means. However, I know that it’s not something you want to do… so if you think you’re on thin ice, just don’t do it.

Also, committing suicide is an unforgivable sin. Those are the only two things you can do that will guarantee you a one way ticket to hell.
  • What's blasphemy...?

sorry if I sound stupid, but I have no idea what is it...so if anyone could clarify.
  • blas·phe·my (dictionary.com)
    A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

So blasphemy against the HS is 'a contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning the HS'

• blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is continualy reject the grace and work of the Holy Spirit in u. What does the Holy Spirit do in the first place...convince u of sin and get u to repent. IF u refuse that throughout ur whole life there's no repentance, and no repentance means no forgiveness and no forgiveness means dying in sin, and we all know where that leads to.
    hope that made things clear ;)
  • Makes sense...Thanks ;D
  • like hos erof said, blasphemy against the holy Spirit is rejecting it, which leads to hell.
    But if u repent then your sin is forgiven. For example, St Paul tortured and blashemed against Christ but turn away from his sins and to God.
  • Just a quick comment on some of the things others have said, and then I will repaste an article I wrote on this topic ages ago (which im pretty sure I typed up for this website in the first place).

However, I know that it’s not something you want to do… so if you think you’re on thin ice, just don’t do it.

A lot of people have this false conception of “blasphemy of the Holy Spirit”; that it is some sort of a sin you can commit at a point in time like other sins. However, the unforgivable sin is not just some monster-like sin that you can commit tonight for example, such that there is nothing you can do afterwards to get out of it.

As I will explain more elaborately later in this response; blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a process; and one that can be negated by repentance.

Also, committing suicide is an unforgivable sin. Those are the only two things you can do that will guarantee you a one way ticket to hell.

The reason that suicide is an unforgiveable sin, is because it is an act which falls under the category of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. They are not two separate or independent things. The Holy Spirit works in all of us, guiding us towards a particular path or direction, and never does the Holy Spirit convict us to take the easy way out by calling us to take our own lives. We can accept His calling or we can reject it; however even if we reject it at particular moments during the course of our life, we always have the chance to repent of our sin and accept the new calling of the Holy Spirit, as long as we are breathing. If however, someone chooses to end his life; this is a sign that he has rejected the Holy Spirit’s calling permanantly.

blas•phe•my (dictionary.com)
    A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

So blasphemy against the HS is 'a contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning the HS'

Youstina S,

I understand you had good intentions, and simply did that which you thought was the logical and sensible thing to do i.e. consult a dictionary, but this easy way out has lead you to a false interpretation regarding this verse.

We are dealing with a text that was written in a foreign context; culturally, historically, linguistically, and so consulting a 21st century english dictionary is not going to help us understand the true intent and meaning behind this verse. I advise you and everyone, to consult the works of the Orthodox Church fathers when considering the interpretation of a verse. Fr. Tadros Malaty has written many patristic commentaries of the books of the Bible which I recommend. I also recommend “The Orthodox New Testament” Volumes 1 and 2 which also provide a great patristic commentary on the Gospels (Volume 1) and the rest of the New Testament books (Volume 2).

Here is a slightly modified and very short article which I typed up on this subject a while ago:

Blapshemy of the Holy Spirit:

Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is blaspheming against “the divine activity of the Spirit- the accusation that Jesus healed by demoniac power” (Orthodox Study Bible commentary on Matthew 12) and thus in essence a rejection of the Spirit's testimony to Christ as Lord (“for no one confesses that Christ is Lord but by the Holy Spirit.”) Such blasphemy is simply “willful hardness of the heart. It attributes the saving action of the Spirit to Satan and refuses to accept God's forgiveness and mercy.”

It is ultimately hardness of the heart and a rejection of the Holy Spirit's testimony, the very Holy Spirit which enables man to confess the truth, as He is the revealer of the truth, which is the very blasphemy spoken of – and the very blasphemy committed by the Pharisees upon their denial of the divine origin of Christ’s miracles, due to their willful hardness of heart.

Professor Keener comments on this verse saying “...a heart can become so hard against God's evidence that conversion becomes impossible” (A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, 1999, page 365) He then goes on to mention, that such a hardness of heart as shown by the Pharisees, constitutes a blasphemy and unforgivable sin because they were “on the verge of becoming incapable of repentance”. The hardness of their heart is their determination to reject any proof of Christ’s divine mission, to the extent that they will attribute God's attestation of Jesus to the devil.

Some of the early Church commentators such as Origen, read this verse in light of Hebrews 6:4-6, interpreting it as the deliberate rejection of grace, as distinct from falling into error. St Augustine makes the point that blapshemy was forgivable if followed by repentance.

Peace.
  • this is confusing to me. i mean if you confess and god will forgive you,right????? ??? god bless your heart!!!!
  • i don't think there is unforgivable sin!! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
  • [quote author=basketball link=board=1;threadid=1828;start=0#msg28145 date=1118533427]
    this is confusing to me. i mean if you confess and god will forgive you,right????? ??? god bless your heart!!!!

How are u going to confess if u commited suicide..meaning u killed urself..u are no longer able to live and go to abouna and confess the sin...so NO there is no forgivness in that one.

i don't think there is unforgivable sin!!

As was said above...Suicide is an unforgivable sin.

• But cant u also blasphem against the holy spirit, without actually committing suicide?. . . like by constantly 'rejecting' its 'guidance' kinda....
  • Yeah...but this is one of the UNFORGIVABLE sins...because there is no way u can repent after u commit tht sin.
  • i just want a 1 word answer pleezzee ;D... Blasphemy against the holy Spirit... repentable?
  • as said by the pope.... an unforgivable sin is a sin that you commit, and you die doing the sin... like a wrong marriage... he mentioned sucide... but I am psych. major, and I disagree with it... lol... but I still LOVE the Pope... so sins that you commit... and die in.... also herecies... if you a heratic, and die as one, that is unforgivable...
  • he mentioned sucide... but I am psych. major, and I disagree with it

May I know the reason that u disagree with it, because that's only sin that I can see is unforgivable because u have no way of repenting once u do it...Any of the other sins mentioned are forgivable if u repent it, not that one thou it's not forgivable because there is no repentance.
  • what if you insult the holy spirit, is that forgivable?
  • May I know the reason that u disagree with it,

for a person to kill themselves... they have to be very mentally ill...
  • I heard that the only time it's allowed for prayer on people who commit suicide is if they are mentally ill...not all people who commit suicide are mentally ill thou...there are those who have extreme depression and can't carry their cross so they just get rid of it by killing themselves.
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=1828;start=15#msg28189 date=1118611222]
    I heard that the only time it's allowed for prayer on people who commit suicide is if they are mentally ill...not all people who commit suicide are mentally ill thou...there are those who have extreme depression and can't carry their cross so they just get rid of it by killing themselves.

a major depression is an extreme mental illness.
  • ,he mentioned sucide... but I am psych. major, and I disagree with it... lol...

Hello socoolbishoy,

It is O.K. for you to disagree with H.H., but this is public forum and many teen-ages are reading it and you may convey unintentionally a negative influence on them. So I will try with God's help to explain why suicide is a mortal sin that will a person to perdition.

1- First do not mix wine with water " Isaiah 1:22 ", what you learn it at school or university is not the truth or the whole truth.
    We are not suppose to apply the knowledge of the world to the Kingdom of God, “
    19- “ For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
    20–where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
    21- For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe “. 1 Cor. 1:19-21

2- “Life and death is in the hand of God “, life is a gift from God, He gives it to us so that we invest it in the Kingdom of God “ Church “ for the glory of His Name. We do not own it and have no right to take it out. .In the Parable of “The Owner and the Talents “, Luke chapter 19, the Lord came back to reclaim the talents He gave to His servants.

3- The body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit “ Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?. If any man destroy the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is Holy, and that what you are. 1 Cor. 3:16-17

May God bless you
  • safaa, please forgive me... you dont know how much I LOVE the pope... he is my hero... you dont know how much I love everything about him...

what you learn it at school or university is not the truth or the whole truth.

This stuff is studied by doctors, and could be proven... and as I mentioned before, I am a psych. major, so that is all I talk about. I also talked to my prof. about things of these sorts... and it is medically proven, if you commit suicide, you are sick mentally. But there are the ones that do it for attention, so they tell people what they are up to, and they would try it , but not be successful, but in a few cases it becomes successful... and that is minor depression, or they are just feeling like they are not wanted... but ones that commit suicide, and don’t tell anyone, they are mentally ill... and they would to go to a psychiatrist for medications, and lets not forget schizophrenia … imagine a voice in your head telling go kill yourself?

So I feel sympathy for these people that kill themselves… but, God has more sympathy than me… and I am sure God will not forbid a person from entering heaven, when that person belongs there, just because the church didn’t pray for them…
  • God has more sympathy than me… and I am sure God will not forbid a person from entering heaven, when that person belongs there, just because the church didn’t pray for them…

No it's not because the church didn't pray on them...it's because they took what's not them and destroy it...They took the alter of the Lord (body and life) and killed it.

This stuff is studied by doctors, and could be proven...

Sorry but The Word of God is proven by God Himself better than million of doctors...and suicide is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
  • socolbishoy,

Suicide is a mortal sin that has no forgiveness according to the view of the Coptic Church that bind or loose by the promise given to her by the Lord Himself.

If the church dose not pray over the person after death, asking God to recieve him in His Kingdom, I do not know how you say that God would accept such person.

God is an absolute merciful God, but at the same time He is also the Righteous Judge who does keep His words. " Heaven and earth shall pass away but not a single word from God shall pass away ".
  • I think this topic is one of these topics, that go unanswered...
  • I think this topic is one of these topics, that go unanswered..

I think Marianne87 and my weakness try to answer the suicide issue from the point of view of the Coptic Church, whom the Almighty entrusted her to manage the Kingdom of God on earth.

“ Who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches.” Rev.2:7   
  • Bishoy,

Psychology is a very ambiguous “study”. What you said about it being “proven” is impossible. Not to take away from your major, but I believe very very little in psychology. If people like Freud can become masters of this subject, it goes to show you that it doesn’t have much solid fact. In general, its based on “what ifs”. I read something in a magazine when I was on the subway that was written by some apparently famous psychologist that said humans “are the way they are” (whatever that means) because of the trauma they undergo during labor. COME ON MAN, isn’t that the stupidest thing you ever heard? Like Safaa said, don’t mix religion and psychology. And if possible, don’t mix anything with psychology.

Back to the topic. You mentioned that people were depressed. You know what depression is to me? Dala3. No matter how you slice it, suicide is a cowardly act. Nobody is predisposed to it nor is anybody forgiven for it. If you have the right mind to figure out a way to take your life, you will 100% be judged for that.
  • Mark423,

You have said it the best!!!!, psychology is not a science, it is a pseudo science. Sorry for anyone who major or have a course in psychology. I did not mean to heart anyone's feeling.

" For the tree is known by its fruits. " Matthew12:33

May God bless you all.
  • Let me tell you one of my favorite quotes, it’s by Albert Einstein, and I think it answers your comments... "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

In the bible, there is a lot of science… and psychology is a SCIENCE… sorry if you don’t think so… but it is…

if possible, don’t mix anything with psychology.

Mark, you don’t know me, if you ask anyone about me, they will tell you how much I love psychology and how I put it in almost everything of my life. Psychology goes on in your life, not because you ignore it, does it mean its not there.

Whoever says you psychology is not a science… Prove it.
  • i thought all our sins are being forgived!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

• EXCEPT suicide because there will be no time to repent and our time in the flesh is the one chance we got so its best not to blow it by being stupid...

I find this comment highly offensive… I know many people, who attempted suicide, but thank God they did not succeed… and now they are cured… because they were in a major depression… which is an illness… so to me this comment is offensive… sorry to sound rude… but we never went through what these people go through… so you cant just judge them …