Let your women keep silant in the churchs!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Let your women keep silant in the churchs;, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. 1cor 14:35-35,36.

Can some onle please explain what this verse is about? Because it greatly distresses me (imaginewhat girls would think of this).

Has the poe said or written anything about it and if he did can some one name the book?

As far as I know females are enourage to sing and participate in the church, nit just during the masses but also in other things concerning the church. I am comfused I really need an answer to this.

for extensive answers please e-mail to:
[email][email protected][/email]
else please post on the forum.

Comments

• thats kinda of funny becuase most of the girls at my church dont sing....maybe thats what it means ;D
  • hi peet
    an orthodox priest who's very knowledgable on st. paul's writings told our Bible study once that this verse, and others like it, were meant for 2 main things:
    1) st paul wrote the epistles to specific churches with specific problems. therefore, he was addressing a real problem in the church of corinth concerning women and their role in the church. it was probably getting to the point where they were having women standing and preaching in the churches, or taking on the role of men in the church. this may not seem like a real problem, however this leads me to number
    2) the reason this was a problem is because God created us fully equal. very true. it's 100% indisputable that men and women are completely equal and cherished in God's eyes. anyone who tells you otherwise is tainted with severe cultural ignorance; they speak from a cultural point of view, and not a Christ-like one. the only thing that's difficult for us to understand sometimes is the definition of this equality: we are equal through our differences. we all have been given different ROLES in our christian lives; both as individuals, and as males and females. males are given the role of preaching and reading in the church etc; females are given the role of giving birth to, nurturing and raising their children in a christian home. take any other example you want. the point is that both roles are necessary, and both are equal. but we cannot confuse the roles. if all people were priests or preachers, who would simply love and serve? if all people were only serving the poor, who would teach us and give the spiritual food we need? all these parts are needed in the Body of Christ, and each one is just as unique as we are.

hope that makes sense..
    h
  • peter ya fool i already posted that, although u got more repies than me, is there a conspriacy goin on here...
  • to tell u the truth guys, that verse has been used against me when I am arguing with guys about anything like this. but I always said that if that was the case then y do the preists at my church and Bishop David always encouraged girls to be active participants in the church. I for one, have a loud voice, which I often use when singing hymns. I don’t try to overpower the decons or anything, its just that is the way I like to participate, and I don’t there is anything wrong with it. ;)
  • in my opinion there isn't a thing wrong with it, and if girls aren't meant to use their voice and participate, then why are they also encouraged to learn alhan and a lot of that stuff. but i don't think the verse was referring to singing hymns and stuff like that. i think it was more referring to meetings and church gatherings to discuss certain issues in the church. I think it was things like that that the women weren't supposed to speak in. "Let your women keep silant in the church" doesn't literally mean that they have to stay shut, i think its saying more that they have no word in what happens in the church. Thats why in something like The Holy Synod, the members are only men. 71 Bishops and 6 Metropolitans to be more precise, but you never find a non in there. This is just an my opinion tho, maybe somebody could shed some more light on this
  • hi there
    i have to disagree. "raise their voices" refers to women preaching in the church. more specifically, this refers to women taking on roles as priests or deacons. this has nothing to do with church organisational committees or the like, because some women are gifted in these areas and contribute greatly to the logistics of the church. what it's referring to is the roles of serving in the Liturgy specifically; otherwise women would be considered subordinate in christianity, which is totally and completely untrue.
    h
    ps-it's also not referring to women singing in the church. some orthodox churches have choirs and cantors which consist of both men and women.
  • yep!! and monastary's for nuns [i don't remember what they are called right now] only have one deacon and one priest. then you have the rest of the ENTIRE church with only nons singing all of the hymns the deacons usually sing, and the deacon inside the altar only replies inside. so its deffinetely not referring to them singing hymns and all that. but what ur saying does make sense about women trying to take roles as priests. but the role of a priest [excluding the fact that he prays in the liturgy] is pretty much the same role that the bible gives everybody else. the only thing that he does that other's aren't allowed to do is be our leader in prayer during the liturgy. Besides that is preeching, which there are women that do, and helps families solve their problems which we alll do. wenever somebody comes to us with a problem we help them, and we've all seen our parents fighting and people getting involved to try to help. so what other role is there for a priest that women were trying to take?
  • i have a question now. wat r women's role in the church? (besides deconess and nuns)
  • This is what egyprincess said:
    to tell u the truth guys, that verse has been used against me when I am arguing with guys about anything like this. but I always said that if that was the case then y do the preists at my church and Bishop David always encouraged girls to be active participants in the church. I for one, have a loud voice, which I often use when singing hymns. I don’t try to overpower the decons or anything, its just that is the way I like to participate, and I don’t there is anything wrong with it.

I totally agree with her.
    I also have a VERY loud voice, and I'm always encouraged to use it for alhans and hymns and for giving presentations because it's a "public speaking voice" if you know what I mean.

I think that if there were something wrong with it, then I wouldn't be encouraged by so many people including priests, and yes, anba david. when he hears that you know coptic and you have a talent for it, he encourages you regardless of sex.