A Discussion With An Atheist

edited May 2005 in Faith Issues
How can we trust God during difficult times, trials and suffering??? There is a friend of the family who was raised Coptic all his life. In the last ten years he has completely denied God. I have gotten in many discussions with him on the matter. What can I say to make him believe that we as humans did not evolve from singled celled organisms millions of years ago but rather were created by God? Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• you can't force it down hia throat. But you can show how science was never able to contradict Biblical testimony...rather it only strengthened them as fact not myths. Npw there is also a philosophical theory called Wager's theroy. it goes like this:

Assume no GOD:
    1. If I believe then I didn't lose
    2. If I didn't believe I still didn't lose

Assume God exists:
    1. If I believe I go to heaven
    2. I donèt believe I got to hell.

letès just say Wager didnèt like gambling with life after death ;)
  • It is hard to encounter "hardships" on earth..and due to our human nature we tend to blame God. But we should always refer back to our book of reference, the Bible. Jesus himself said "In the world you will have trials and tribulations, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world!". How then can we deny Christ, when he himself warned us about these kinda stufff, and promised us he'll remain by our sides regardless. Perhaps, you can explain to your friend that if God did not give us obstacles in our life, we would never turn to him! I'm sure we are all guilty (some time or another) of only praying or turning to God when we are in desperate situations, and are in need of help from a higher power, someone Almighty that can do ANYTHING! God knows that, and thus he puts trials in our life so that we turn to him! But always rememeber God gives us only as much as we can handle, and besides if he didn't give us sorrows, how then will we know the true meaning of being happy! :)