Songs of Solomon

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everybody!
I'm gonna start reading the Songs of Solomon soon and before i start reading it i want to get a good understanding of its history.
I was going to a site called answering-islam (I had gone on it before and it was a christian site talking about Christianity & islam) (I heard and sort of got into a little debate in the school bus about islam..and this debate sparked some interest) Neways..when I went on this web site the 2nd time, it was an islamic web site talking about how the bible is wrong...one of the things it said was that there was some dirty things in the bibe and when i went to check out the verses that the writer refered to...what he said was actualy written (most of these verses were in songs of solomon)...but I'm sure there must be an explanation which most likely has to do with the books history etc....(and it's interesting to note that the way the writer wrote.......he was convincing....he spoke with authority...but he was just rambling....he never got to his point and he just repeated himself in fancy words)
so if neone could give me somthing to go off of that would be really great ....just what is basically going on in the book...the history behind it etc...
Thanks!
God Bless

Comments

• one of the things it said was that there was some dirty things in the bibe and when i went to check out the verses that the writer refered to...what he said was actualy written (most of these verses were in songs of solomon)

Song of songs/Solomon, is actually a great book in the Bible and it has really beautiful verses. It is basically a love poem or song, so for one that doesnt understand the true meaning behind it, they will be mislead. It shows Gods love towards us, Gods love for His people (Israel) in the old testament and the church is God's precious bride in the new testament, (this is seen in the love between king solomon and the shulamite).

God loves us so much and has loved us with an everlasting love, He will never leave us nor forsake us and will always be by our side "His left hand is under my head and his right hand embraces me" Song 1:6

We are God's precious children and His love for us, is beyond all other love, it surpasses all love, He even calls us His beloved children "my beloved is mine, and I am his" Song 2:16

"It is the voice of my beloved He knocks saying, open for me my sister my love" Song 5:2 a lot of times God is always there knocking on the doors of our hearts, waiting for us to come back to Him and be with Him, but sometimes we dont heed His voice

"Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; for LOVE IS AS STRONG AS DEATH" Song 5:6 Because God loves us so much He put us as a seal upon His heart, His love for us is far greater than anyone elses love in the world, it is stronger than we can imagine, it is love that never ends, love that lasts forever, love that is stronger than death
  • The Song of Solomon’s is beautiful romantic love poetry written by King Solomon concerning his beloved, and is allegorically interpreted by the church as an expression of the intimate and beautiful relationship that Christ - the bridegroom - has with His church - the bride. Period.

Get out of Islamic websites, and do not get into debates. Don’t try to be a hero so prematurely. Just because the verses Muslims point out actually exist, it doesn’t mean that their false interpretation of these verses, is how such verses are approproately or reasonably to be interpreted or how the church has understood it for over 2 000 years. Im pretty sure the church knows how to interpret the Bible better than some Islamic ignoramus.

You’ll see Muslims trying to force sexual interpretations into this book, and point out references to sexual organs which simply DO NOT exist. Why do they read dirty/sexual interpretations into verses which speak about mature love? Well the bible tells us why in Titus 1:15 - "To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."

Muslims who are nothing more than stupid when they misinterpret the Bible, are doing so because they are corrupt as a consequence of their prophet who himself was a sexual animal; and so they feel the need to look at everything in a sexual and perverted way, because of their sexual and perverted minds, corrupted by sexual and perverted Islamic teachings.

We, the Church, have the pure and Holy Spirit of God, so we read the inspired word of God in the pure framework that was intended. I repeat, do NOT try and be a hero, do NOT concern yourself with these matters, you are wasting your time.

• Iqbal, I love you. YOU ALWAYS have the right answer. geez...are u ever wrong?!? lol
  • I agree with you Dany all the way, :) but I hope Iqbal is never wrong.

It's really sick how people can read the bible and get dirty interpretations out of it, May God open their eyes so they can see how pure Gods words are and may the prince of prince forgive them, and forgive us all.

"Behold, you are fair, my love! Behold, you are fair! You have dove's eyes." Song of Solomon 1:15

Now that’s beautiful stuff

In his name
  • yea
    wen i first read the book - i took one look an was like wat?? but i sat down with my foc an he expalined it 2 me- its so bootiful
  • in my bible, there is an interpretation of the sos, and the book is looked at as a romantic relationship as well as a metaphor like you've all previously mentioned. Just because its about sex, doesn't mean its dirty. God never said sex was dirty! Its people that make it corrupt because they abuse a good thing way too much. kind of like how kids love ice cream and have so much of it that it becomes bad for their health and they get dependent on it...etc. Its something that was meant to be kept pure, to be cherished, adored, and celebrated. ultimately, it should be seen as the major wedding present from God. All i'm saying is don't listen to people when they distort something that should be so pure. and not just muslims, but the atrocious media, and sometimes parts of society.
  • good words cremendelescremes good stuff, full of wisdom

GB AL
    +FROG+
  • Just because its about sex, doesn't mean its dirty.

The worst problem is, that many of these verses don't even have anything to do with sex in the first place.

Take for example Chapter 7 verse 2:

"Your navel is a rounded bowl that never lacks mixed wine. Your belly is a heap of wheat, encircled with lilies." (Songs of Solomon 7:2)

As St Paul states in the Titus verse i brought forth above - to those with corrupt minds, everything seems corrupt, and hence some people wish to interpret the word "navel" as a reference to the woman's vagina. This is absolute rubbish - the navel is simply the belly of his bride (the fact belly is mentioned later proves this, since in the hebrew poetic parallel form, the fact navel is set up in that position before belly, means that theyre basically synonyms), and the context clearly shows that this passage is in reference to His beloved's pregnancy (wine and wheat are symbols for fertility) and hence Solomon is praising his bride's belly for this is the place where his child will be conceived.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=1449;start=0#msg23781 date=1113692958]
    and hence some people wish to interpret the word "navel" as a reference to the woman's vagina.

wait, i thought everyone thought of bellybuttons when they heard navel?
  • Well yes - look up navel in the english dictionary and that's what you get. But I've heard Islamics try and argue that it should be translated vagina; because theyre sick in the head. Even the Hebrew lexicons define the Hebrew word "sho-rer" as navel.
  • Iqbal, I really consider you a very trusted source and always look forward to see your point of view on things...May God bless you and keep you in His Name forever...God bless...Mike
  • omg does it realli matter
  • What are you referring to?

I realise many will perceive that we are making a big deal out of nothing, but really we aren't. We are living in the age of skepticism, and as such we all as Christians (according to the Bible) have the duty to answer to objections, from the challenging to the downright stupid and crude (as the one ive brought forth regarding 7:2). So awareness is obviously the first step.

I know some might find it disturbing to hear these crude objections for the first time, but is it not better to hear it from your fellow Christians first so you can be aware and prepared? Or to be caught off-guard by a skeptic from whatever background he/she may be?

I hope you understand Mazza, and everyone else who approaches this with a "who cares, it doesnt matter" type attitude.
  • What are you referring to?

I realise many will perceive that we are making a big deal out of nothing, but really we aren't. We are living in the age of skepticism, and as such we all as Christians (according to the Bible) have the duty to answer to objections, from the challenging to the downright stupid and crude (as the one ive brought forth regarding 7:2). So awareness is obviously the first step.

I know some might find it disturbing to hear these crude objections for the first time, but is it not better to hear it from your fellow Christians first so you can be aware and prepared? Or to be caught off-guard by a skeptic from whatever background he/she may be?

I hope you understand Mazza, and everyone else who approaches this with a "who cares, it doesnt matter" type attitude.
  • Woops I pasted that message twice.
  • thnx iqbal but i dont think mazza was talkin bout that so plz dont b that harsh on her

GB ALL
    +FROG+

• Some Muslims have corrupt mind, while they searching our Holy Bible, They will take any verse and look at it in sexually perverse obstinate dirty mind.

They did that in the parable of the ten virgins, Matthew chapter 25. A very famous Sheik in Egypt EL- Shaarawy, used to interpret the chapter as sexual act on the national TV.

WE can not change that, but we are not suppose to go to Islamic website to know their view about the Book of Song of Songs before we read it.
  • how ironic that moslims comment on passages from the bible as being about sex, geeh let's think, what was written in their books and hadiths again ::)
  • haha lol Hos Erof...
    how true... lol

take care and God bless
  • Hey Everybody!

Thanks so much for your replies..I especially liked what Iqbal and PrincessMary said in thier responses.

however on someone's reply..they made it seem like i was going to an islamic website on purpose...i didn't mean to...I typed in the wrong address and ended up there by accident...
    Neways..that just kinda bothered me...and I felt like I had to say something... I wasn't going on an islamic website to know thier view about the song os songs before I read it...that would be just asking for reasons to doubt my religion!

ok...that's it...my rant is over.....

if neone else has anything to add about the book and its interpritations ...please....add away!
    thanks again everyone!

God Bless