killing animals

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
is killing animals wrong?

Comments

• well... is eating chicken wrong?
  • not if its for food and i don't think its wrong for clothes either..maybe? idk about the clothes part really but for food, its ok, like..yes..chickens lol. God gave us these animals for that purpose. Killing animals for sport though, in my opinion, is wrong.
  • In the Bible, when Jesus is speaking with Peter and Peter questioned Him about eating animals being unclean and all, Jesus told him that he gave us these things and they aren't unclean, but I think that it's not right if done for sport.

sleepy
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=1329;start=0#msg22222 date=1111092482]
    but I think that it's not right if done for sport.

wat bout killing it for sport and eating it? like Fish.
  • well most licensed fishermen who do it as a sport always let the fish back in the water. Sports i don't personally agree with, neither do i for clothing, because now we have so many other way to dress ourselves. But for food its definitly alright Biblically. I think its alright scientifically. I mean if i did a research on a rat, whats the point of u doing the same research to end up with the same result. But since they don't have a soul, As Genesis mention God breathed only in our lungs, I feel much safer that it'd be done on an animal rather thatn a human.
  • i think killing animals is fine but not just for fun !
    like as a game

like my granpa used to buy bunnys and kill them and eat them
    but he wouldnt do it for fun

that reminds me of the time i was at st.anthonies monastary i CA

i was with a abouna ( i dont remember his name )
    and we were trying to catch a duck (cuz the next day was christmas and the syam was going to b ovver )and i was too scared cuz there was like 20 of umm
    it was funny :P

any ways i think its fine cuz God gave them to us for a reason other than watching them ( eating them ! :P )

GBU

beshoyrm!
  • No.

I will give one bible verse, and a very opinionated however highly accurate statement.

Genesis 9

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs

And…

There is something absolutely wrong with vegetarians.
  • Concerning killing for sport:

I’m big on hunting. In my days I’ve shot a ton of animals and caught a ton of fish. All of which were EATEN. If you kill them and leave them; that’s haram. If you kill them and eat them; no problema.

• [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=1329;start=0#msg22235 date=1111114284]There is something absolutely wrong with vegetarians.

Being a vegitarian is a choice nothing worng with that. Fast is a choice, the church wont condemn You if u don't.
  • In the thanksgiving prayer we say "but those things which are good and profitable you do provide for us, for you have given authority to tread on serpants and scorpians
  • [quote author=Psalmist link=board=1;threadid=1329;start=0#msg22237 date=1111116826]
    Fast is a choice, the church wont condemn You if u don't.

Really? In my church if you aren't fasting you're told not to take communion.
  • Yes these are Spirtiual rules the Church Fathers implemted to maintain its sprituality. But Abouna wont sentence you to hell for not fasting. "But let everyone according to his abilities". Thats why if you don't fast You also choose not to partake of this blessed sacrament. Also if your sick, and your body can't handel the fast (i.e. diabetics) your still allowed to take communion during a fast even if your not, because your body requires a specific diet with high amount of protiens in it.
  • in our church abouna usually makes an announcement right before communion that anyone not fasting cant take communion, but if u want to take communion u have to fast from there on.
  • Abounaaslo acknowledges that if ur sick and you can't fast then you need an Absolution from your F.O.C. and then u can take Communion.
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=1329;start=0#msg22241 date=1111119897]
    [quote author=Psalmist link=board=1;threadid=1329;start=0#msg22237 date=1111116826]
    Fast is a choice, the church wont condemn You if u don't.

Really? In my church if you aren't fasting you're told not to take communion.

That's done in my church as well, however, the priests are quick to mention that if there is an arrangement between yourself and your father of confession, then you're absolved.

sleepy
  • i dont like how there are foundations for saving animals, when there are los of sick people that they need to cure their diseases, same with the poor.
  • i know i soo agree. Western people would sooner take their dog to the vet than their kid to te doctor. Its really sad.