Why we study the history of the church?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi all

today I joined a discution about catholic and muslim persicuations to copts. So, I start medatating about why we study history?specially our church history. what is the spritual benifits from that?I myself love reading history because it amusing and good way to invist the time. But, is this enough?
may be I have some answers but I prefer to listen and learn from you.

Peace and love from our Lord be with you all

Comments

• hey
    i'm an american... and if ur american or egyptian or whatever, u often study the history of ur country
    why? so history doesn't repeat itself
    we're supposed to learn from the mistakes of others
    the Bible is considered the best historical book of all times
    y do we read it? (besides for spiritual benefit)
    so we don't fall as others have fallen:

"Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.
    Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play." Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer.Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

1 Corinthians 10: 1-13
  • more than history repeating itself...how can u know who u r if u dunt know ur roots??? Know ur roots and avoid the identity crisis later on
  • I agree with the Psalmist!!!!
  • There are so many reasons why you can read about history, whether it is your own culture's history or other culture's history.

If you're reading up on your own cultural history, you will see how people of your own culture, religion, etc. were faced with problems, and how they faced those problems with courage, faith, belief, etc. It shows us how it can mold us into better personalities and characters, for the world to see us and be very impressed by us.

There are many more reasons, but i won't get into too much detail..

[move]Peace[/move]
  • I agree with safaa for agreeing with me. lol :P...and I love the point you made Sinful Servant. Righteous to the bone.