HELP

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
My friend needs an answer to the question

Why do we eat jesus every sunday ????
thats his question
hope u can help
THANKS

Comments

• beshoyrm, We eat the body of Christ so that He can dwell in us and purify our sinful souls. He served as a living sacrifice on our behalf so that there can always be a link between Heaven and Earth. Sorry, I don't know much..
  • Hi Bishoy:
    We eat the Holy Body of Jesus and drink His Holy Blood for many reasons, among them:

1- Our Lord Jesus Christ is the living bread, giver of eternal life "Then Jesus said to them, Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh (the body) of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eat My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:53-54). Also read John 6:51,55-58, Luke 22:19.

2- To be united in His body, so the many members of the church are one in Him. Thus our Lord Jesus is the head of His body which is the church. "Now you are the body of Christ" (1Cor12:27).

3- To fulfill His commandments: For every time we eat His Holy Body and drink His Holy Blood, we proclaim His death and confess His resurrection, and remember Him until He comes. (1Cor11:26) & the Liturgy anamnesis hymn.

4- To have power to fight sin and evil in this world as St. Paul the apostle said in his epistle to the Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things (in) through Christ who strengthens me" so how can we be in Christ if He is not first be in us. The only way for this unity is through baptism, chrismation and communion with His true Body and true Blood.

These are just brief points of what came to my mind, but when you study the bible, you'll find more reasons why we should have communion of the Holy sacrament of Eucharist. Also there are many symbols of it in the old testament.

God bless
    remember me in your prayers
    Ibrahim