how to become a monk?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
How do you become a monk, im Coptic and everything,also, what age do you start?

Comments

• When you finish school... and get a job
  • I had a discussion with a bishop before and he explained to me that in order to be a monk you have to have a valuable thing in life to give up. Im not talking about items but talking bout leaving all your treasures up and your job(which your suppose to like) and go with Christ. The pope has himself disapproved many people that wanted to be monks because they didn't have degrees and didn't have well-lived lives.
    When you go to a monastery and give your life and devote it to god you should be doing it because you want to be with Chirst not because your sick of how the living is going for you now.
    The Father of All Monks St. Anthony has his saying from Matthew 19:21 "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in Heaven: and come and follow me"
    This saying is just the same for wanting to be a monk it tells us to give all our earthly possesions away go and follow Christ.
  • i couldn't of said it better myself!!! ::) :P
  • Becoming a monk is an honor. Only a select few are allowed to join the monastery. You must leave the whole world and all the treasures that it gives you. If you need help with this matter, you should try to contact Abouna Anastasi St. Antony. Pray for me.
  • abouna anastasi is the greatest!!!!!
    if you EVER get the chance to see him, dont let it pass! he serves in hawaii now, but he was a monk in the monstary of st. Antony in california!
    jus a lil bibliography on him lol

regarding monasticm, its a calling. its not somthing you can apply for and hope to get in.
    as mentioned before, you have to want to leave this world completely.
    this world has to be less than grabage for those desiring monastcism. everything you do in this world (school, work, service, etc) has to be somthing that you use as a tool to get to monasticsm, and you have to be doing it all for the Love of God, not to simply get by in life.
    your heart and soul has got to be in this, and you cant value anything over the idea (such as success in life, etc).
    talking to your FOC is a great start, and he'll help you prepare for the path, and if it's your calling, God will send you a message somehow to let you know that this is what He wants for you.

take care and God bless
  • I ADORE abouna Anastasi :) He's the coolest
  • he's just a monk... lets not talk about these people too much... please.
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=0#msg21161 date=1109206088]
    he's just a monk... lets not talk about these people too much... please.

May I ask why? :)
  • Monastic life is a calling as well as a love for God on a greater level. Be aware that the closer one gets to God, the more the devil tries to tempt us and pull us away from God. Just as many said, you love God so much that you deny yourself and leave your job, family, friends, and everything behind. Many monks and bishops were once doctors and engineers, but gave up every worldly possession they had to be with God and serve His holy name. Those are the only ones that can truly survive the narrow narrow path of monasticism.

After talking to your Father of Confession, i would also recommend spending more time at the monastery if you have one near you..God Bless :)
  • Abouna Bishoy Kamel in a sermon once said, "The life of monasticism dwells within a person, before they dwell in a monastery."

Typically, those who leave the world to spend it with Christ have been living the life of asceticism way before they have entered the monastery. They do what they must to live life, (go to work, shopping , etc.) but they always return to their homes to be in seclusion with Christ.

Also, it is very very rare that you will find a monk who has not lived a very successful life (many made good salaries, and had good jobs). This is for spiritual reasons. My priest told me that he knew several monks who were only high school graduates and they lived very bitter lives.

If you are interested in monasticism, you should speak to your father of confession and read the book about the monastic fathers.

Please pray for me
  • [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=0#msg21162 date=1109206161]
    [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=0#msg21161 date=1109206088]
    he's just a monk... lets not talk about these people too much... please.

May I ask why? :)

ithink i know y?
    i was told the same about another certain person
    like we sholdent talkk bout them and say all this good stuff bout them coz then the devil understands who he needs to attack ...and yeh
    do u get me?
  • cant he just like read our minds or something.... i would like to take this time to say that its snowing and school is still not canceld >:(... bye
  • I think that no one should talk about ho to become a monk because becoming a monk is an invation of God to the person to leave and be dead from the the world and give his life to serve God.
    And if someone discovered that God is sending him that invation,that person will know what to do ,and God will guide him to His holy way.
  • I disagree, you're absolutely right that it is a calling however, that does not mean we should not ask.. It's good to know your church..
  • Fr. Anastasi is still in school too....just imagine taking care of church and being a student....man thats tough
  • i was told the same about another certain person
    like we sholdent talkk bout them and say all this good stuff bout them coz then the devil understands who he needs to attack ...and yeh
    do u get me?

i think the devil already knows who is good, and who they need to attack regardless of what people say. i dont think there is anything wrong with talking about them or admiring them, as long as your not worshiping them or nething....just my opinion :-\
  • the devil does not read our minds... you could keep a person very close to you, in your heart, like I love many living saints, but if I talk about them so much, and the devil sees me talking about them to everone, he will tempt them much more. that is why I would like when we talk about a living saint, we need to not mention their names, when they are dead, say their name all you want.
  • Gotcha

Since abouna Anastasi's currently going to school, and you have to have a good degree, how'd he become a monk?
  • Wow, Mina, that is very true. The concept of monstacism is very hard, if you feel you want to become a monk are that you will "defienietly" become a monk then the devil will bombard you with ideas that will change your mind and make you immune to that...live a chaste life, doing whatever you would do if you will become a monk later on and when the time comes for you to be ready to make the decision, let God make it for you, give Him the upper hand.

Mike
  • ABSOLUTELY correct mike
    good stuff guys

GBU ALL :) ;) :D ;D
    +FROG+
  • do u no how much i am DYING to bcum a monk its not funny its killing me

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • i heard that u have to have some sort of high degree...which is like totaly devistating bc il never be a doctor
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=15#msg23536 date=1113227533]
    do u no how much i am DYING to bcum a monk its not funny its killing me

GB ALL
    +FROG+

I thought you're a girl?
  • [quote author=awad link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=15#msg23537 date=1113233495]
    i heard that u have to have some sort of high degree...which is like totaly devistating bc il never be a doctor

it is not required... many monks didnt even have a degree... it depends if God want you to be a monk or not.
  • hi

wat if you are a really good person, and you don't sin or you rarely sin near, priests or in a monestary. but outside the monestary you are a weaker fighter against the devil. can you still be a monk
  • I'm glad to see so many people thinking and knowing about monasticsm. There are some points I would like to make.

1. It is not a calling, it's a decision you make and you have to be guided by the Holy Spirit through your spiritual father. Priesthood on the other hand is a calling, cause you are chosen. In monasticsm, you're the one that makes the decision, you're not picked.

2. I know Abouna Anastasi very well and he would get very upset at us for speaking so nicely about him publically. A father once said if what ever you're saying doesn't benefit the person you're talking about, you shouldn't speak of them.

Monasticsm is an amazing life and blessing. Take care of your studies, graduate college and then worry about it. Most youth change their mind about monasticsm after they get older, I know many who have.

Steve
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=15#msg23553 date=1113259441]
    [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=4;threadid=1231;start=15#msg23536 date=1113227533]
    do u no how much i am DYING to bcum a monk its not funny its killing me

GB ALL
    +FROG+

I thought you're a girl?

well bishoy, you thought right i am a girl but i am still dying to, and no im not interested in bcuming a nun.
    hay steve good stuff, do u have to be called to become a deaconess??

thanx

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • not everyone is called to monastism, some choose it for their great love to Christ - back in the 3rd and 4th century wadi el natrun had about 50 000 monks - this show that monastism became another way of life. Monks are refered to "angels on earth."
    the word monk is derived from the greek word monakes which means lonely - a monk is a person who is dead from the world.

for more info about monks there is this brochure about monastism buy his holliness and i think there is a book too.

God Bless
  • hay thanx aloot bishoyattia and welcome to the forums
    u no what its called by any chance??

thnx alot
    GB ALL
    +FROG+