The definition of Christ!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys I looked up the word Christ in the dictionary last night (don’t ask me why because I have no explanation for my strange behavior…it was late!) and I cam upon something that kinda surprised me so see what you think

Christ: n.1.title also now treated as a name, given to Jesus.2.Messiah as promised in the OT-int slang expressing surprise or anger etc.

And then I looked up dogma!

Dogma: principle tenet, or system of these especially of a church or political party. Arrogant declaration of opinion

Dogmatic: asserting or imposing personal opinions; intolerantly authoritative, arrogant

Okay so the purpose of the post does anyone find these definitions slightly off??

Maria

Comments

• I agree with you... kinda off, but the dictionnary is only stating different perspectives and definitions of the word. As Copts we know that Christ is the Messiah and Saviour, and that Dogma is our faith. As long as you know this, which you already do, there is no need for further complications.
  • here is Christ...

anointed, the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered "Messiah" (q.v.),
    the official title of our Lord, occurring five hundred and fourteen times in
    the New Testament. It denotes that he was anointed or consecrated to his great
    redemptive work as Prophet, Priest, and King of his people. He is Jesus the
    Christ (Acts 17:3; 18:5; Matt. 22:42), the Anointed One. He is thus spoken of
    by Isaiah (61:1), and by Daniel (9:24-26), who styles him "Messiah the Prince."
    The Messiah is the same person as "the seed of the woman" (Gen. 3:15), "the seed
    of Abraham" (Gen. 22:18), the "Prophet like unto Moses" (Deut. 18:15), "the
    priest after the order of Melchizedek" (Ps. 110:4), "the rod out of the stem of
    Jesse" (Isa. 11:1, 10), the "Immanuel," the virgin's son (Isa. 7:14), "the
    branch of Jehovah" (Isa. 4:2), and "the messenger of the covenant" (Mal. 3:1).
    This is he "of whom Moses in the law and the prophets did write." The Old
    Testament Scripture is full of prophetic declarations regarding the Great
    Deliverer and the work he was to accomplish. Jesus the Christ is Jesus the
    Great Deliverer, the Anointed One, the Saviour of men. This name denotes that
    Jesus was divinely appointed, commissioned, and accredited as the Saviour of
    men (Heb. 5:4; Isa. 11:2-4; 49:6; John 5:37; Acts 2:22). To believe that "Jesus
    is the Christ" is to believe that he is the Anointed, the Messiah of the
    prophets, the Saviour sent of God, that he was, in a word, what he claimed to
    be. This is to believe the gospel, by the faith of which alone men can be
    brought unto God. That Jesus is the Christ is the testimony of God, and the
    faith of this constitutes a Christian (1 Cor. 12:3; 1 John 5:1).

DOGMA: An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true

THESE ARE ALSO FROM THE DICTIONARY
  • Okay so the purpose of the post does anyone find these definitions slightly off??

It just shows you how secular humanism twists and distorts concepts within christianity.They're trying to be politically correct and not offend anyone.Well anyone except christians that is.When it comes to christians and the christian faith they suddenly become very intolerant.Something they claim to despise in others.Dogma is a nuetral word simply meaning "accepted belief".But in the hands of godless humanists its meaning is changed into something signifyng evil,cruel,intolerent,etc.

Christ{the annointed one}becomes a blashphemy,a joke;instead of a blessed title given to our wonderful Lord and God. This world and the present "world system" is truly a crazy place.

hey guys I looked up the word Christ in the dictionary last night (don’t ask me why because I have no explanation for my strange behavior

Your cool! ;)
  • thanks for the defintion of Christ Guys, i know what we copts believe, the point of the post, is that when someone who has never heard of Christ before and is looking through the dictionary and then comes accross that what do you think his or her reaction is gunna be?? they are going to use Christ in that exact manner slang and an expression of surprise or anger?? its just wrong that it is in there!

Maria
  • christ
    from christos
    meaning
    anointed one

aka messiah
  • i think the reason u got that is because those words are derived from other languages, making the enlish translation in the dictionary innacurate
  • its not the same in all dictionaries!
  • :)

What she was trying to point out was that instead of sticking with the age old accepted definitions, dictionaries are now listing "slang" and "politically correct" usage,definitions which are actually offensive to christianity.In some cases they're trying to impose their own liberal bias and secular humanist understanding.The Devil is trying to infiltrate every strata of society using any means necessary to keep people from coming to Christ. :)
  • jfranklin! you make my life easy cause i dont have to explain it was obvious in my last point that had no patientc (homework has taken its toll) but you are understanding what i am trying to say ! so YAY!

Maria
  • maria i understand wa u mean...prolly cuz ur my sister anyways yea yea but still its a dictionary. Sumone who hasn't heard of christ before and who saw that in a dictionary would prolly look into it a lil more and see wa it really is. Plus the dictionary aint that wrong its jus that its secular jus like society. It has to be in this society jus like they say holidays instead of christmas u noe wat i mean..cuz i seriously lost my point rite now
  • ..cuz i seriously lost my point rite now

LOL...We all have moments like that... ;D