What church are you from?

Comments

• i'm from the Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark in Jersey City, NJ (USA). Proudly, the first church in the United States.
  • i dont know if i have replyed to this yet but here goes The chruch of the virgin Mary and st athanasius! the canadian coptic center as commonly known in mississauga ontario canada :)

Maria
  • SAINT ABANOUB AND SAINT ANTONIOUS, BAYONNE NJ, THE BEST CHURCH IN THE WHOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • the Coptic Orthodox Church of saint Mark, Rochester, NY..

hopefully having the second monastery in the USA... called saint Shenouda... i can't wait!
  • hay guys i am probally thefurtherest 1 from u guysi am in ST MARKS coptic orthodox church in auckland New Zealand for those of u who dont no where that is it is south east of australia
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=board=6;threadid=620;start=75#msg18226 date=1105904782]
    i'm from the Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark in Jersey City, NJ (USA). Proudly, the first church in the United States.

I don't know about that. St. Mark Church is the first in the East coast, but not in the United states. there was one in CA and one in Canada before that one. Sorry, thought I would tell you.
  • o my gosh i am so0o0o0o0o0o embarresed im am like the onli 1 from my church st maary and st minas in sydney australia bye da way peepz from st marks lets share da title of cathedral like dont fight it dusnt mean dat ne of us are betta dan de oda (lmao ma whole family migrated from st marks ) but that dusnt change nefing.

servant of christ,
    Justin Abssss
    (cant be bofad to type da rest)
  • Yes guys, I too believe St Mary's and St Marks are both Cathedrals..... lol, St Mark's was the original but was HH came in Dec 2002, he christened St Mary's one too! ...so confusing....

Your churches are down the road from each other, stop fighting....lol

Btw, I'm from St Mary & St Merkorious Abu Sefein's also in Sydney.
    We got a bigger church congregation out of all of yas!
    http://www.abusefein.org.au
  • yes yes we can share
    BUT
    when the Pope changed , it was all happy and agreed on,
    then came tha council and sed
    what the, the reason arncliff is a city is coz of this church as cathedral....u cant just change ur mind and say its not cathedral no more...so officially by law its not changing
    therefore we are still cathedral!
    woooo
    ok
  • Copticboy is incorrect.

The registered paperwork shows specifically that St. Mark in Jersey City is the first church in the United States. I have copies of that paperwork which I have presented several times over. The conjecture by people that St. Mark in Los Angeles is unfounded in any fact. It is a fallacy that is being perpetuated, and a perversion of the facts of history. It is no different than the Egyptian Government denying the effectual presence of Coptic history in the timeline of Egypt. Where is your proof Copticboy? Is it some fable from some writing, from a fabled remembrance?

To be exact: St. Mark in Toronto is the first Coptic Orthodox Church in the Western Hemisphere.

I await your proof, and please don't send me some excerpt from some book or magazine by a given person. Show me the registrations and the signatures. I can produce that from my side.

His Holiness, Pope Shenouda, has that paperwork and out of politeness to this debate has made those comments to try to be amicable to both sides in that 'one is first on the east coast and the other on the west coast'.

Please do not try to change history.
  • As a note, a "cathedral" is defined as the seat of the bishop. This is regardless of the sizing of the edifice.

People often mistake this nuance with the physical size of the church.
  • The conjecture by people that St. Mark in Los Angeles is unfounded in any fact. It is a fallacy that is being perpetuated, and a perversion of the facts of history. It is no different than the Egyptian Government denying the effectual presence of Coptic history in the timeline of Egypt. Where is your proof Copticboy? Is it some fable from some writing, from a fabled remembrance?

You know...ive personally lost it a few times on this forum, when certain persons decided to attack the faith, sound Orthodox doctrine, and the church in general...but dont you think you're taking this specific matter a bit too far? Who really cares what the first church was, thank God there's many churches all over the world - i think your analogy of Coptic Boys comment to the governments denial of Coptic church history is a rather crude one to make...I dont think he was trying to challenge you to a debate on the issue. Anyways, take it easy - God Bless all the church's in America, and all over the world.
  • Ilovesaintmark,
    I didn't mean to offend you. That was not my intention, and I agree with Iqbal, no need to get so defensive. I am also not planning on having a debate over which was first. I am just glad that they are there.
    I appologize if I offended you. Please forgive me.
  • Thank you Copticboy, that was very kind of you.

I have been very sensitive over this issue because there has been a systematic approach for the changing of these facts. You may not be privy to them, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I believe in facts, especially historical facts, to remain factual and not wishful. Moreover, if your comments were related to the repetition of hearsay, it underscores how things are repeated for the sake of propaganda and its dissemination.

I find that misinformation, if it is repeated enough times, becomes the truth. There are too many examples of this in everyone's life and in the workings of politics, etc.

You show good character for that retraction, I am humbled by your message.

God be with you and with His Love in your heart every day.
  • [quote author=jono link=board=6;threadid=620;start=75#msg18319 date=1106006741]
    Yes guys, I too believe St Mary's and St Marks are both Cathedrals..... lol, St Mark's was the original but was HH came in Dec 2002, he christened St Mary's one too! ...so confusing....

Your churches are down the road from each other, stop fighting....lol

Btw, I'm from St Mary & St Merkorious Abu Sefein's also in Sydney.
    We got a bigger church congregation out of all of yas!
    http://www.abusefein.org.au
    yes yes we can share
    BUT
    when the Pope changed , it was all happy and agreed on,
    then came tha council and sed
    what the, the reason arncliff is a city is coz of this church as cathedral....u cant just change ur mind and say its not cathedral no more...so officially by law its not changing
    therefore we are still cathedral!
    woooo
    ok

hay jono isnt abouna yohanna the best i luv him soo much and also abouna mikhail he is sooo cool as well i sumtimes go there its a really nice church i lyk it
    hay sherry get over it and stop arguing with people ok st mary and st mina is a cathedral as well as st marks ok stop fighting farout who really cares which 1 is a cathedral or not no affense its just u wont let it go and its getting very annoying
    thanx
    o yes if i didnt mention i am from st marks but also st Anba Abraam in Maq. fields hay guys from sydney whatever age u r cum to our church on Feb 19 u will prob hear it announced by your church father there is gonna b an open day its gonna b full maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad and also cum to my church now since its the competitions its very cool i hope to c u guys there :) ;) :D ;D

GBU ALL
    FROG
  • Who is the bishop in Australia, and what church is designated as his headquarters?

That defines which is the cathedral church. There can't be two cathedrals. Not to belabor the issue, it has nothing to do with size.

Cathedra--is properly the bishop's chair or throne in his cathedral church

Cathedral--the church which contains the 'throne of the bishop' or official seat of the bishop of the diocese.

In the Roman Catholic Church, when the pope wants to honor a certain church (cathedral or otherwise) they use the term "basilica". This is a title bestowed in regard to the importance of the function of that church in the overall life of the given diocese and the Church as a whole.

We do not specifically have this tradition, and I would assume that H.H. was pronouncing this favor on both churches for the beauty in all its regards of their services and ministry.

You cannot truly have two cathedrals, although you may have the honor of two "cathedrals".

Anyway, on the joking side, St. Mary, as a mother to us all, takes honor and privilege over St. Mark. So I guess St. Mary's would be the true cathedral. I have no idea about the locales of the two churches, but I thought I would stir up the fire a little bit. It's cute to see you all argue about this point. It means you care, and have pride in your churches. You should build a third cathedral and have that as the common for all of you.

The Armenians (our sister church--The Armenian Orthodox Church--with which we have full communion) have a joke about the fact that they have two jurisdictions to govern their church: The Mother Catholicosate See of Etchmiadzin and the Minor Catholicosate See of Celicia. They have been trying over the centuries to unify and have only one jurisdiction. In the process there have been many fights, angry brauls, murders, and even jokes. There has been even a rage on both sides not to enter each other's churches despite the fact they are in full communion. Here is one that I like: An Armenian was stranded on a desert island, and was devout. He built two churches as a symbol of his devoutness to worship God. A rescue ship discovered him and came upon his encampment and the two churches that he built. They were puzzled when they found out that he was the only one ever on the island, and questioned why he built two churches. His reply was that: 'this is the church I attend, and this is the church I don't attend'.

This joke was told to me by the Dean of the Armenian Orthodox Seminary of St. Nersess in New Rochelle--New York. It illustrates quite a bit in its humor.
  • Hello! I'm Athanasius, and I'm new to the Coptic church, and I go to St. Mary and St. Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Louis, Missouri. I used to be Presbyterian, but there was a lot that was missing there, that I enjoy at an ancient church. I grew up Watchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses), and I hold to the doctrine of the Trinity, and this I appreciate very much at the Coptic church. I was baptized this past November. If anyone has any questions, just let me know! Take care! ::)
  • Hey Topper!
    Welcome to the Coptic Church! I hope you find much peace, comfort and love through here. Congratulations on your baptizm!

Also, welcome to this site! Be careful, it can get quite addicting! ;)

Hope you grow to enjoy and love this site as much as I do, if not more!

Take care and God bless!
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=board=6;threadid=620;start=90#msg18479 date=1106184057]
    Who is the bishop in Australia, and what church is designated as his headquarters?

im 4rm new zealand and i can tell u there r 2 bishops, one for sydney and affiliated regions. which cover nsw, queensland, singapore ( i dont realy know the rest). and there is melbourne and affiliated regions, which covers vic, wa, sa, act, south pacific islands, and last but not least, nz.

cheers
  • oops, sori, i forgot 2 say that the sydney and aff......... is bishop daniel and the melbourne one is bishop sourial. ;)
  • Hello All! I go to St. Mark in LA, Cali.
  • [quote author=whizz link=board=6;threadid=620;start=90#msg19176 date=1106745707]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=board=6;threadid=620;start=90#msg18479 date=1106184057]
    Who is the bishop in Australia, and what church is designated as his headquarters?

im 4rm new zealand and i can tell u there r 2 bishops, one for sydney and affiliated regions. which cover nsw, queensland, singapore ( i dont realy know the rest). and there is melbourne and affiliated regions, which covers vic, wa, sa, act, south pacific islands, and last but not least, nz.

cheers

bishop D is in charge of singapore, thailand, china, japan and all the other stuff u sed
  • St.Bishoy in Canada... Stuffville
  • St Mary's, CHICAGOOOOOOO!!!!!!

1. HGB Suriel - Also for Fiji!!!! HG just came to WWF - teh southern diocese convention!!! AWESOME!!!!

2. Paris - Cool - Do you know anything about the "French Orthodox Church?" can you tell me about it (maybe on a different thread?)

3. Anyone from Adelaide, Australia???

4. Portland!!! Im going there in April - just for a business conference....is there a website for the church? Up to date with weekday activities? Thanks!!!
  • Elshamaa,

Do you know who constructed/carved the iconostasis for St. Mary--Chicago? Are you able to get a contact name for this?
  • Ill try to find out this weekend...
    Its awesome isnt it!!
    Are you at a new church?
    IN Christ,
    me
  • So heres how the story goes....
    Hi uncle, do you know who made the iconstasis here?
    Yes....[pause]
    Can you tell me who made this iconstasis?
    yes...[pause].....Maged...
    Maged??
    Yes....[pause]
    Who's Maged?
    He From Egypt.
    Maged who?
    Maged from Egypt.
    Do you know his hast name?
    I can get you his phone number.
    That would be great, but do you know his last name?
    no... [pause]
    OK...Thanks.

I thought you would appreciate that story!!! Anyway, Another uncle told me it was Maged Macramalla. Ill work on a number if you need it. They told me everything including granite was imported cheap from egypt, and some guy from Ohio helped put it together here or somethiung./ I hope that helps..
    IN Christ,
    me
  • ok Thankyou soo much marmar91 i also thought iwas the only 12 year old well i thought me and my Friend Laura were but yeah now i don't have to worry about sharing my age ...and yeah i'll go to the topic um i'm From St.Mark's Church in Troy MI. and also St.Mary and St.Philopateer in Troy MI. ;D :)
  • hey im marina , im 16 soon
    im from st abraams and st marys church in sydney, australia
  • I go to St. Mary's in Los Angeles, California.