Je Avsaji

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could explain je avsaji to me. To my understanding it is the psalm for the feasts of the virgin St Mary yet how can it be chanted as the psalm if it isn't the actual psalm reading pertaining to the gospel of the feast? I also understand that the annual matins and vespers psalms are metrakebeen on je avsaji. If someone could please explain this I would greatly appreciate it.

ϣⲗⲏⲗ ⲉϩⲣⲏⲓ ⲉϫⲱⲓ,
Ⲕⲩⲣⲓⲗⲗⲟⲥ

Comments

• edited August 2022
    @kerlous I think when they say "the feasts of the virgin" they refer to her departure and assumption celebrated in January and August, respectively. If you look at the readings for both those days you will find both psalms are ϫⲉ ⲁⲩⲥⲁϫⲓ, and both of these feasts are related. She departed in January and St. Thomas witnessed her body being taken up to heaven. It was August by the time he came back to Jerusalem and informed the apostles of what he saw.

The psalm ϫⲉ ⲁⲩⲥⲁϫⲓ should only be chanted on the two feasts of her departure and assumption. All other annual vespers/matins psalms should be constructed on the tune. ϫⲉ ⲁⲩⲥⲁϫⲓ was just used as the standard to preserve the tune, just as the nativity psalm was used to preserve the singary, ⲟⲩⲟⲩⲱⲓⲛⲓ ⲁϥϣⲁⲓ was used to preserve the molakhas, and ⲕⲉ ⲩⲡⲉⲣⲧⲟ and the funeral psalm were used to preserve the mournful tune.
  • Yes as you rightly say Virgin Mary's departure is celebrated in the Coptic Church in January, and the assumption occurs 3 days later - the celebration in August is the commemoration of the assumption when St Thomas and the apostles fasted, meeting up on that day, 16th of Mesra, and the empty tomb was revealed in the presence of Christ and Virgin Mary herself..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲥ
  • thanks all of you for this useful information.
    the fast is very special for me as it is the time i entered the orthodox church (14 years today!)
    may God make us worthy to serve Him forever, through the intercession of beautiful saint mary and all the saints
    :)