Saint Macarius in modern English

it's here!

the most eagerly awaited book of the 21st
century has just been published!

(i have mentioned it here before, as old tasbeha lovers will remember)

it was written by my friend,
but this is not why i am recommending it. 

it is actually this is a wonderful retranslation and paraphrasing of half of saint macarius' homilies in modern english, suitable for readers of all
backgrounds and all ages (well, maybe the 5 year olds will struggle with a few long words, but you can read it out to them).

if you would like more refreshing times of
prayer and great advice in spiritual warfare, this is for you. reading this
book helped me immensely and i am delighted to announce that it is now
available.

it is also good for people with no church background, as there are little explanations through the book and a lovely summary at the end.

if you hate reading really horrible translations of arabic books, this is for you!

;-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Communion-Holy-Spirit-Spirituality-Contemporary/dp/1950831116/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Communion+of+the+Holy+Spirit:+Ancient+Spirituality+for+the+Kingdom:+a+Contemporary+Portrait+of+the+Fifty+Homilies+of+Saint+Macarius+the+Egyptian&qid=1602836479&sr=8-1

and for our friends outside uk:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1950831116/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=the+communion+of+the+holy+spirit&qid=1602606304&s=books&sr=1-2.

Comments

• Amazing! Thanks very much for sharing!
  • did you look at it?
  • I was finally able to buy this a bit ago. It's pretty great! I will second Mabsoota's good recommendation. I hope that Agora will be working on more works in this vein in the future. I would love to see more affordable alternatives to, e.g., the Fathers of the Church patristics series published by CUA. For the price of one copy of the volume from that series on St. Gregory Thaumaturgus (which I would still love to have, of course), one could buy almost three copies of this book on St. Macarius. Also, not to be rude about it, but it would also be very nice to stop semi-depending on Chalcedonian publishing arms (SVS, CUA, etc.) to get anything published at the level of quality our saints and our people most definitely deserve. I only have three books published by AUP so far, but they've all been quite good (there's this one, the one by Fr. Mikhail Sorial called "Incarnational Exodus", and another about the Church in the time of Coronavirus, the exact title of which escapes me right now), and none have been marred by the ESL problems found in a lot of the translations of HH Pope Shenouda III's many writings, or any of the many other little booklets I have on various aspects of Church ritual or Coptic Orthodox spirituality that are connected to publishers in Egypt. 

Don't get me wrong, I cherish these works too (their English is certainly a million times better than my Arabic!), but it is thankfully more and more the case these days that at least as concerns the Coptic Orthodox Church in particular, there are native English speakers among you, O Egyptian-born English-degree holders.

Not that I am volunteering for anything, mind you. That'd be your domain as a speaker of the Queen's English, right Mabsoota? :D
  • american english is fine by me.
    (as long as spoken outside of uk!)

:P