Blasphemy

edited January 2005 in Faith Issues
"Therefore I say to you, every sin snd blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men." Matt. 12:31

What exactly IS blasphemy against the Spirit?

Comments

• as far as i know, it's when you give up on God and no longer have hope in Him or His salvation. when one thinks there's just no need for Him or anything else...
    i dont mean those who dont believe in His existence or are in another religion, because that's not giving up on Him.
    an example would be suicide. suicide is taking one's own life because they are desperate and hopeless. they lost all hope in life, thus loosing all hope in God, the giver of life. this is a reason as to why suicide is an unforgivable sin.
    blashpamey is completely, purposely, willingly and siptefully giving up on God (and the Holy Spirit) and denying Him fully.

i hope this wasnt wrong, if i am, feel free to correct me

take care and God bless
  • Many people nowadays will say blaspeming the Holy Spirit is rejecting Christ.While this may be true the context of the above scripture makes it clear that the pharisees had blaspemed the Holy Spirit by saying the works of Jesus{miracles,healings,etc} were done by the power of Satan.If we ever attribute to the Devil the good works of God then we are in danger of blaspeming the Holy Spirit.Let us not call evil good or good evil{as the scripture sayeth}but rather be careful,slow to speak,slow to judge,examining everything in the Light of God's holy Word.If we ever say this group or person does so and so by the power of Beelzubub{the Devil}we better be careful! We better be sure!
  • Many people nowadays will say blaspeming the Holy Spirit is rejecting Christ.While this may be true the context of the above scripture makes it clear that the pharisees had blaspemed the Holy Spirit by saying the works of Jesus{miracles,healings,etc} were done by the power of Satan.

Ive never heard anyone interpret blasphemy the Holy Spirit as a rejection of Christ; if they say so, they are probably simply not being careful with their wording.

They are correct in a sense, for blaspheming the Holy Spirit is blaspheming against “the divine activity of the Spirit- the accusation that Jesus healed by demoniac power� (The Orthodox Study Bible, page 35) and thus in essence a rejection of the Spirit's testimony to Christ as Lord (“for no one confesses that Christ is Lord but by the Holy Spirit.") Such blasphemy is simply “willful hardness of the heart. It attributes the saving action of the Spirit to satan and refuses to accept God's foirgiveness and mercy.� (ibid, page 35)

If we ever attribute to the Devil the good works of God then we are in danger of blaspeming the Holy Spirit.Let us not call evil good or good evil{as the scripture sayeth}but rather be careful,slow to speak,slow to judge,examining everything in the Light of God's holy Word

This interpretation is too narrow and literal and misses the bigger picture as described above. It is ultimately the hardness of the heart and a rejection of the Holy Spirit's testimony, the very Holy Spirit which enables man to confess the truth, as He is the revealer of the truth, which is the very blasphemy spoken of – and the very plasphemy committed by the pharisees upon their denial of the divine origin of Christs miracles, due to their wilful hardness of heart.

Even reputable evangelical scholars like Proffessor Matthew Keener agree with the traditional and Orthodox understanding of this verse, he comments on this verse saying “...a heart can become so hard against God's evidence that conversion becomes impossible� (A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, 1999, page 365) He then goes on to mention, that such a hardness of heart as shown by the Pharisees, constitutes a blasphemy and unforgiveable because they were “on the verge of becoming incapable of repentence� (ibid., page 366).� The hardness of their heart is their determination to reject any proof of Christs's divine mission, to the extent that they will attribute God's attestation of Jesus to the devil.

Some of the early commentators such as Origen, read this verse in light of Hebrews 6:4-6, interpreting it as the deliberate rejection of grace, as distinct from falling into error.St Augustine makes the point that blapshemy was forgivable if followed by repentance.
  • I heard that blasphemy is the only sin that cannot be forgiven. Is this true.

What if someone all of a sudden changed there coptic religion to another christian religion that dosent belive in the holy spirit wich is blasphemy, but later they swiched back in faith storger than ever. Can they still coffess and there sins be forgiven.
    (note i am not talking about myself lol) :)

Thanx!
  • Susy - Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply the wilful hardness of the heart, which rejects the Holy Spirit who who teaches and reveals God to the hearts of men. Such a hardness of heart may last till one's death, and such people will not be forgiven for their conscious wilful rejection of the truth when they stand before the Lord on judgement day.

Repenetence, which involves confession, is generally one turning his back on an ungodly life, and following the path of God. Obviously then, the very act of repentence is a sign of acceptance of the Spirits testimony, and hence there is no blasphemy.
  • Hi to everyone:
    In general. every sin is forgiven, by repentance and confession, except the sin without repentance. What dose this mean? , It means as long as you live in the age of grace( our live on earth), whatever sin you commit, even denying the Lord, you will be forgiven if you sincerely repent from the heart. But if one"s heart is harden, as Iqbal put it beautifully, and continualy live the life of sin till the time of death and does not repent, then that person wil lbe damned to hell and everlasting death. The Holy Spirit always leads us to the life of repentace during our life, that is why our time on earth is called the time of grace, because Our Lord does not wish death for the sinner but to repent and to live, calling all men to salvation for the promised forthcoming rewards.
  • when the holy spirit tells u ur wrong and u go against it

u deny christ in urself.
  • Hi awad:
    Remeber the story of Ananias and Saphira,mentioned in the Book of Acts, they both believed in the Lord Jesus Christ very well to the point that they sold their belonging and brought portion of the money and laid it at the Apostles" feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit" Acts 5:3. Holy Spirit is the Person of the Holy Trinity Who dwells in us after the Sacrement of Myron or the Confirmation. "Do you not know that your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit....." 1Cor1:16, 6:19. That is why St Paul several times said do not lie to the Holy Spirit, do not grieve the Holy Spirit, do not quinch the Holy Spirit.