*New Release* The Presentation of the Lamb: The Prothesis Rite of the Coptic Liturgy

edited April 2020 in Hymns Discussion
Recently published:

This may be of interest to some here: 

The Presentation of the Lamb: The Prothesis and Preparatory Rites of the Coptic Liturgy, Studies in Eastern Christian Liturgies 2 (Münster, Aschendorff, 2020), 487 pp.

From the back cover: The Coptic eucharistic liturgy begins with a public ritual known as the prothesis rite, in which oblations of bread and wine are chosen and placed on the altar. While preparatory rites of this kind are common throughout Christendom, it is only in the Egyptian tradition that this rite takes center stage as a public activity involving both clergy and laity. 

In The Presentation of the Lamb, Ramez Mikhail traces the evolution of the Coptic prothesis from its simple late antique origins to the middle ages, focusing on liturgical practices in Northern Egypt. Drawing upon a wide array of textual and material evidence, Mikhail provides the first study charting the evolution of any part of the Coptic Eucharist in such detail. The result is a fascinating glimpse into liturgical change in the Coptic liturgy in Islamic Egypt. In addition to a meticulous analysis of the Coptic prothesis, this work is an essential resource for the study of the Coptic liturgy generally, representing an indispensable reference for a host of primary sources, most of which are provided here for the first time in English.

Comments

• wow, this is my kind of bedtime reading :)
    the local bookshop in my area is good at ordering books that it does not have as stock (had to wait only 2 weeks for the orthodox study Bible), so i may pop down there.
    i have made a note of the isbn already.
    now i just need to find an excuse to spend a lot of money on a book, maybe i can move my birthday forwards to the resurrection feast!
    did you get your PhD in this?

• Thank you for your interest! Yes, this is the edited version of my 2017 PhD dissertation at the University of Vienna. 

I wonder why this discussion does not appear on the homepage. 
  • Hello Mr. Ramez

I am from community of Coptic Church in Indonesia, while we are Indonesian (not Egyptian).
    Today in Coptic Seminary school we are being prepared by our Abouna for future servant. Our Abouna is from Sydney. We need resources to complete our understtanding especially in the prothesis and preparatory rites.

I am trying to order this book online from the bookstore mentioned, unfortunately they have limitation to the payment method, our payment declined by their system. 

Do you have any suggestion other bookstore that I can make an order? 
  • welcome, iansetiawan!
    may God give peace and grace to all his church in indonesia.
    i hope to order this soon and i hope you can too. 
  • Dear Iansetiawan,

Sorry to hear that ordering from the publisher has not been successful. My book is also available in some Amazon stores, such as the US store. Depending on how it works in Indonesia, you may be able to order from the US:

The book is also available on Book Depository: 

You may also want to contact the publisher and see if another payment method can be arranged. If all else fails, please contact me directly.