Psalm melody

Hello All,

Is there a melody/set of melodies that one may chant when praying from the Agpeya? I know there is a melody for psalm 150, but that's a special melody, so I'm wondering whether there's a 'general' melody for all psalms. 

Comments

• I like the one that's here:

Other recently take that tune and make it longer and stretch it and make it "sound good" in recordings. I don't believe it makes it anything more than just  recording for show. 

But, if you have the ability to sing it in a simple tune, sure, why not. If you don't, that's also ok since these are personal prayers--the heart is what matters since that's what God will be looking at. 
  • Ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲁⲛⲉⲥⲧⲏ
    Some people argue that the arabicisation of the services and the prayers lost us the special tunes of psalms, which leads me to think that each psalm had its own tune one day..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • Well, i wouldn't say "each psalm" had a tune, but i can definitly agree with you that we lost a couple of tunes. The entire rank of Psaltos was mainly to just chant the psalms in liturgical services. 
  • Ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲁⲛⲉⲥⲧⲏ
    Thanks @minatasgeel, I didn't know that before.. I agree with you that perhaps not a particular tune for each psalm as such but I have a feeling that they were more than a couple..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • I have also heard many times that each of the psalms had specific tunes,
    I also hear that "Doxa si o Theos emon" was the introduction to certain psalms...
    What I have heard that seems far-fetched is that Ni ethnos is one of the tunes, I think the person who said that may just have been trying to back up or "credibilize" what they were saying though..
  • Ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ ⲁⲛⲉⲥⲧⲏ
    Yes @Jojo_Hanna I think I heard the same comment probably it's in one of the books on ajbeya by Fr Tadros Yakoob but I can't remember exactly. He said that Copts, in their great awe of the Holy Trinity used ⲇⲟⲝⲁⲥⲓ ⲟ Ⲑⲉⲟⲥ ⲏⲙⲱⲛ as the introductory statement of the psalms and finish them by ⲇⲟⲝⲁ Ⲡⲁⲧⲣⲓ ... ⲡⲓⲱⲟⲩ ⲫⲁ Ⲡⲉⲛⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲡⲉ.
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡϭⲥ
  • That is exactly what I heard, I believe I also read that in Father Tadros’ works!
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts, @ophadece