Apparent contradiction in the story of resurrection.

edited September 2018 in Faith Issues
Hi there,

It's me after a long absence. I've missed you all!

I want to ask a question about the apparent contradiction regarding the story of resurrection, if you allow me. 

First let's have a look at the verses:

Luke:

On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had preparedB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25993B" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.C)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25995C" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightningD)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25996D" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee:E)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25998E" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> ‘The Son of ManF)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25999F" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”G)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25999G" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> Then they remembered his words.

Mark:

When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spicesB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24875B" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”C)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24877C" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robeD)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24879D" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.
“Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene,E)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24880E" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him,F)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24881F" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> just as he told you.’”G)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24881G" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

Comments

• Matthew:

After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary MagdaleneB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24197B" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and the other MaryC)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24197C" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> went to look at the tomb.

There was a violent earthquake,D)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24198D" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> for an angelE)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24198E" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stoneF)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24198F" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and sat on it.His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.G)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24199G" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid,H)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24201H" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.I)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24202I" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee.J)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24203J" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”

So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them.K)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24205K" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothersL)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-24206L" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”

John:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary MagdaleneB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26869B" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.C)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26869C" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved,D)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26870D" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”

-The story of the two disciples running to see the empty tomb-

• Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tombM)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26879M" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> 12 and saw two angels in white,N)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26880N" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.

13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?”O)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26881O" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">

“They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.”P)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26881P" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there,Q)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26882Q" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> but she did not realize that it was Jesus.R)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26882R" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">

15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?S)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26883S" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> Who is it you are looking for?”

Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”

She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic,T)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26884T" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> “Rabboni!”U)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26884U" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> (which means “Teacher”).

17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothersV)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26885V" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my FatherW)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26885W" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

18 Mary MagdaleneX)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26886X" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> went to the disciplesY)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-26886Y" style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.

• So from the highlighted passages I see a couple of contradictions:

1- What time was it? Before sunrise or after sunrise?
    2-Were there two angels or only one?
    3-Did they meet him/them before or after entering the tomb?
    4-Did they find them in the tomb sitting or suddenly appeared standing?
    5-Did Mary Magdalene Jesus or not?
    6-If she met him, is it before or after she notified the disciples? 
    7-Did she touch Jesus or not?
    8-Did Mary see the stone being moved as implied by Matthew or not as implied by the other gospels?
  • Hello Raafat,
    Sometimes when we look at something it can depend on the way you see it to understand the truth of it. The way we see things could be what they are as we see them, or they could be taken as was intended. If we take them as we see them then this gives it a face value to us. But if we take it as intended, then this is something deeper.
    If we have good manners and intend on keeping them and when when an arguement comes upon us, do we keep our good manners and desist from arguements or do we respond and buy into it?
    The points which you have made I would suggest asking yourself different questions and search for the intend through what church Fathers says.
    If there was one angel or two, does that really matter but there was at the very least an angel giving a message and that the message is the focas. Would you expect 12 apostles to give all the exact wording word for word or would it be close as possible carrying the intent that this gospel is for our salvation.?
  • I would like to stress that these are mine own reflections and that I've given them honestly, but what church Fathers or abouna says or those in authority give a righteous answer then it comes by way of inspiration from the Holy Spirit for which it will always be righteous.
  • I’ve dealt with this so called contradiction before during my arguments with Muslims they’d bring up this verse as a biblical contradiction, taking time to conduct some research proved them wrong though. I’d just like to remind you there are four Gospels not s single one with a single account and each is essentially telling the same story albeit with the different perspectives of four different authors who chose to tell a part of the same story which they felt was more important to include. Each supposed contradiction can perfectly be sequenced into a logical event which proves it’s not a contradiction, see here:

https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/resurrection/christs-resurrection-four-accounts-one-reality/
  • @Joshuaa

Hi, Mr. Joshuaa. I'm glad to hear from you. 
    I'm a human who goes to everything critically and want everything to make sense, if it has to. This to me has to make sense. Because, if they are contradictory it means that they are not eyewitnesses. I mean, not just different. But contradicting each other at face value as it seems. 
    So the number of angels is not that matters in theology, but what makes me convinced there was any angel?

The intention was to make a proclamation that the Christ is indeed risen, but does it reflect history or only Theology or Myth?
  • @Masihi

From reading, I don't know whether the aforementioned verses are really dependent on perspective or flat out falsehoods spread at the time. 9I'm not saying it is either, I'm asking here)

I'll have a look at the link.

Have a nice day! 
  • If the events can be sequenced properly and logically then there is no flat out falsehood.
  • Hi Raafat
    I think the link Masihi provided gives a valid explaination.
    I guess we're different on the acceptance levels. So if the church says there is no contradictions, then I accept it as part of faith and it is good when someone provides an answer.
    I tend to think on where we're at and where we're going. So I'd look at someone who is trying to make logic of something and how far that would them?
    Logic when it goes with too much thought can become sceptical. When we become sceptical we can lose sight of the very faith and hope that is inside us on some minor detail that we try and prove to make the whole thing less valid.
    The pharisees were always trying to trip Jesus up on points and would not change.
    How serious we treat something is how determined we are, so if we have faith and we incorporate it into our lives then our lives becomes the proof.
    Through faith how far can you incorporate logic in your life?
    Masihi had a vision like me and as Jesus asks follow Me. That takes us on a journey in our life that pertains particularly to us and the journey is found internally through church teachings about what God teaches us.
    We also need to approach things maturely. When we are young we mostly Males like to make things logical. Fare enough that's were were at. But if you got married your will have to be fare with your wife as she will see things differently and logic isn't the be all and end all. You're going to have to be sensitive enough to compremise yourself for the sake of unity. Not saying do away with your logic but be decerning. I am talking about logic so I am with you. From the veiw point of your wife, she may have been when she is young playing with dolls. What does that say? It says that she cares about the needs of someone else. In Genesis 2: 18 we find that man is not good to be in the condition of being alone: 2: 18 And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone, I will make him a Helper comparable to him." That little girl playing with a doll is learning to be a helper comparable to a future husband. If the husband was logical then he is alone in it and will not mature in relationship with his wife.
    It would be the same Raafat that you could be logical and not mature in faith if it all hinged on a sceptical view of scripture.
    Masihi is on his journey and Will mature all the time because he will do it on faith rather than logic.

• I'm not saying not be logical as it does have to make sense but the emphasis of thinking needs to be on faith and then it is a different light in which you see God.
    If you could see through faith then you might see Christ through the whole bible.
  • Joshuaa got it
  • What I'm saying is like since I'm adopted I born a stranger into the world is that I saw things as like a third party and that I saw people arguing and I'd think where has the manners gone the ones I was bought up with. If an arguement came upon me I would always be calm because of those manners and hold onto them. It is the same with virtues, if I gained them I'd try my best to keep them.
    So what the topic about is always important but the way you do is important as well.
    So my comments above are about can faith be approached by logic? To a certain extent but as God is a mystery only on His terms. And His terms to put it basically is that we love Him first then translate that to ourselves and then translate that to others. God is love, God is spirit.
    What does that effect? Our behavior.
    An interesting thing I noticed was that the three Synoptic gospels put forth a common veiw point of message of Christ in His life and ministry was that Mathew addressed his gospel to fellow Jews and that Luke shows the incarnate God and saves and heals humens and Mark speaks of Christ as a servant to all Mark 10:45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life for a ransom for many.
    You could imagine Saint Mark taking this message of service to Egypt and the church preserving this service in Christ and refrain from politics and that just recenter the leader of Egypt Sisi made the comment that the brother Christians did not involve themselves in politics.
    You can see the 'what we do and the way we do it message of serving (behavior) recoqnised and that it is peaceful.
    It might be better to veiw the scripture in the way we do things as apposed to nit picking by some logic as the early Christians were called The Way before they were called Christians.
  • Joshuaa thank you so much for these beautiful and blessed words God bless you. Although I do not understand what you mean by the last sentence, "early Christians were called The Way before they were called Christians".
  • Hi Paul
    St Paul said in Acts 24: 14 But this I confess to you, that according
  • to the Way, which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets.
    They were also called Nazarenes Acts 24:5
    They were called Christians in Antioch.
    Act 11: 26.
  • Christian is a Greek term meaning Like The Anointed. And Christ is The Anointed One.
  • Raafat I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable by your questions. But I commend you on knowing the bible otherwise you wouldn't have found what you think to be inconsistentcy.

Doubt is something the devil uses that causes us to be unsure of a truth or the truth.
    What you need to know is that God knows how important you are to Him. When we have doubt we lose our sense of importance. Not only that but the devil decieves us into believing we are superior to others, putting ourselves above them.
    If we serve, then we get a true sense of importance no matter how high our position. When we lose the sense of importance, then we lose our sense of worth. Matthew 10:31 So do not be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.

Also concerning our sense of where we are going or our destiny (destination).
    Are we not like a seed? A seed starts as a seed but in its time it will grow roots, branches and leaves. Do not humans mature in our senses, our minds and in our hearts? Not forgetting physically.
    We mature spiritually when we listen to the word of God.
    Luke 8: 4-15
    4 And when a great multitude had gathered, and they had come to Him from every city, He spoke by a parable.
    5"A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside; and it was trampled down, and the birds of the air devoured it.
    6 Some fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture.
    7 And some fell among the thorns, and the thorns spang up with it and choked it.
    8 But others fell on good ground, spang up and yielded a crop a hundred fold." When He had said these things He cried, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"
    9 Then His disciples asked Him, saying, "What does this parable mean?"
    10 And He said, "To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables; that 'Seeing they may not see, And hearing they may not understand.'
    11 "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
    12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
    13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.
    14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares; riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
    15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience."

Christ's resurrection is an example for our own resurrection if we mature bearing fruit from good soul, knowing that doubt prevents us from maturing without the word of God; without the gospel.
    If you search for reason to doubt, then you search for reason to 'not hear' or 'not see' the kingdom of God.

• a friend of mine lead a workshop with some young people (age around 12-20) and this is what we did: first we all watched 2 minutes of a film we already knew. then we asked the group of around 8 people to nominate 4 volunteers. these 4 wrote an account each of what they saw.
    then the other group members had to comment on the similarities and differences.
    we could easily see that each person saw that episode from the film quite differently.
    this is like the 4 gospels (matthew, mark, luke and john).
    if they had all been identical, it would actually be more likely that they sat together and invented the story.
    (sorry for late post, did not log in for long time)