Divisive Language in Papal Decree 10/2018

Reference: Papal Decree 10/2018
Bishop David of New York & New England is to be the Papal Exarch of the Archdiocese in New Jersey, to shepherd with full spiritual, financial and administrative authority over any Coptic orthodox church that is not under the care of any of the bishops of the established dioceses in the USA, and blessings will be on those who obey.
——-

My two cents:

(Disclaimer: I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NO DISRESPECT TO THE WISDOM OF THE CHURCH AND FATHERS, I’m just stating an opinion)

What’s the deal with the divisive language in this decree ? “Blessings will be on those who obey”? It has a negative connotation to it. It hints that we, the flock, are under a supreme rule and divine blessings are being utilized to enforce administrative appointments. I think it would serve everyone better to be mindful of how the church communicates a simple message moving forward. I’m simply saying no one wants to feel they are under subjugation, rather the language should of expressed a flock ready to embrace their new bishop. Anyways, just an observation. No disrespect whatsoever to anyone.

Comments

• So here are my two cents:
    - Language of this decree is no different than when Anba Angelos was assigned to us, or any other papal exarch being assigned to any other diocese...the last bit about "church not under a diocese" is new since now most of the church are in diocese...the minority is what's still considered part of the Archdiocese.
    - Concerning the "Blessings will be on those who obey"...while it was originally used to calm people down and just abide to the decrees...this days its just mentioned everywhere and on almost every decree. Not to say that people will go against the Pope and he needs to say this in advance...but it just became the norm considering how distrustful people at of the bishops and their decisions now. 
  • edited May 2018
    Thanks Mina, yeah I understand church politics with bishops and congregations could be a messy and sensitive subject. But I felt the Church’s communication language in this decree negatively feeds into the political bickering with that “ obey and get blessings “ line.
  • The “ibn el ta3a” proverb has become quite the catchphrase these past few decades. Some people might think it’s a verbatim bible verse.