Sharing the true faith

edited June 2017 in Faith Issues
How can we best share the truth of the Coptic church with the Protestants, Evangelicals, Pentecostals and similar groups?

Many of them are thirsty for knowledge and holiness, I hope we can help every thirsty soul who enters our life or is passing by.

Please share your knowledge, thoughts, experiences, relevant articles and what not

Comments

• Well, be a true witness in your life. Practice your Orthodox faith faithfully, and do not hide it, but let it be known to them.

Also know their beliefs, and be ready to answer any questions to them only when they ask. The key is to get them to ask you, not for you to introduce it to them.
  • Thank you Minasoliman for your answer,
    Its specially helpful your advice to get them to ask, I see how this will take away the pressure from them and they will recieve information while in a mode of curiosity and mode of wanting to understand - hopefully.

I will have to prepare more and always be ready, in this country im surrounded by all of the christians mentioned, so i know its very important to give them better understanding and knowledge about the church history and the orthodox faith, as it is now there is so much misunderstanding and misinformation. Hope to bring them to orthodoxy or at least closer.

They are often scarred by history class and also by confused propaganda, still they often have many strenghts in their faith, if they can see how they can keep this strengths ( specially the passionate and patient gospel spreading to all kinds of people and strong belief in Gods supernatural power that we can use to heal the sick) they can keep that and hopefully inspire us more in doing that too, but also have the true sacraments and the beauty of the mysteries and the richness and solid ground of the Fathers and the blessing of the examples of true christian life by the martyrs and saints and their loving intercession. Moreover they will become part of the strong church with the enduring truth and the doctrine that is not shifting by any current in the world not by the philosophies of man and not by the unknowledgeable misunderstandings.
    Really I hope they will see how the Coptic Church is guarding the truth and how it is a loving mother to its members

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong in any point, Im only a catechumen

• My worry is that those denominations whom you have mentioned effect the youth of the church to something that is less than the fullness of our faith. So instead, I would have it that to strenghten our own youth in the faith by knowing they are on the right road and to stay on it.
       1 Corinthians 16:13    "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong."

We are building a new church and it will be beautiful once finished, God willing, in the shape of the cross with five domes. I think those outside will want to see what the church is about so it will make it easier just to be humble and show the heaven and the liturgical life. 
  • Hi Joshua and thank you for replying and im happy to meet you!

Unfortunately im not sure what exactly you mean by your comment.

Do you mean we should leave these denominations to themselves ? even if/though we believe they have misunderstandingings and weaknesses that will affect them,their suroundings and their salvation ?

Or do you mean it is wrong to believe that?

Or do you mean that by focusing on those who are already members it will cause people from these denominations to be drawn to orthodox christianity?

And about the church that is being built; are you saying that the way to draw them is by beautiful churches? ( genereally speaking because for sure its a fact that is the case some times)

Please help me understand you correctly, as you can see i became confused

But congratulations with the new church! I hope it will be always full of happiness and praise

• Thanks Studyandlearn, I love questions but my environment is not conducive to this. Never mind please pray for me.
    I would like to some up your questions by saying that I think the best way to evangelize is to be who we are (Ideally) as in our Christian nature. Why? Because God is seeking the remission of sin which is a change of nature.

So in seeking to evangelize, we are seeking to change the nature of who we are seeking to evangelize, whether it's poor person; homosexual; or even a protestant, and the protestant because they if they see what our church is about and understand, then they may realize their own environment is not adequate for salvation ( some things missing). To show our nature I believe is one of being humble that reflects the liturgical life we have and that is one of prayer and praise toward God.

As for the church, I see it as part of God's Glory and it exemplifies His bride and that those on the outside would see this bride in her beauty and that they would join the bride in the wedding of the second coming of Christ when the church and Christ come together.
    Hope I've explained some Studyandlearn and if not please ask me more because it helps me a great deal when I can come into line with those I'm sharing with.

God's blessings on you Studyandlearn and I love your enthusiasm.

I have a question for you. How would a monk evangelize? I know it's a different situation than being out in society but ideally would it be the same way to bring someone to our church and Jesus Christ.
  • Thank you Joshua for your explations I wholeheartedly agree to that we need to be ideal and truly changed in all our nature to the christian nature. The ones who are seeking purity and truth will be reached in that way.

im a little bit confused by your mention of poor people is there any reason they was mentioned first? And why together with two groups regarded as confused or misled? For me its a strange array of examples, but maybe it was completely random

And yes truly i know people who are not christian and find peace and happiness when they visit a church and this makes them positive and even wanting to know more which is a great bridge to the faith

A monk can evangelize by being known for the way of life, many monks have written books or been written about, they truly inspire and they often reach deeper than others since they use all their time to contemplate and seek and practise Gods will. They stand out and even though they are withdrawn from society the society can be aware of them because of their sacrifice to abstain from wordly pleasures and for their extreme abd beautiful dedication to our God
  • Hi Studyandlearn
    I am reminded of the verse in the beatitutes; blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    The other two groups because they have being a recent topic.

I have a verse that I inspires me through weakness that I've used in the last month and that is Malachi 3:7 "Return to Me and I shall return to you.
    We all need to return to Him, for the spirit of salvation is such that it lifts those whom see it into the goodness of our Lord Jesus Christ and one that entreats a change in the nature to goodness and strength. So even if there is poor, they will recoqnise qualities in themselves with God and not be much worried of this world in seeking Him who gives the food of life.
    The remission of sin is the remission of self hate for sin gives self hate and it dulls the conscience to it. I pray that people can enlighten their hearts and consciences in repentance so the Holy Spirit can do its work and sensitise them in unity with God and man.

I was asking the question about the Monks because of the criticism from the protestant in not being social. Which is wrong.
    The monks are a good example of evangelizing because they set themselves as an example of the power of prayer, humidity and self-discipline. Good conduct before God representing the church and God's goodness and the praise in God's Glory as in Revelation.
  • humility**
  • Hi Joshua!

Im always happy to be reminded of the beautitudes, and thanks for your explanation, now i understand.

Quote: "I have a verse that I inspires me through weakness that I've used in the last month and that is Malachi 3:7 "Return to Me and I shall return to you.
    We all need to return to Him, for the spirit of salvation is such that it lifts those whom see it into the goodness of our Lord Jesus Christ and one that entreats a change in the nature to goodness and strength. So even if there is poor, they will recoqnise qualities in themselves with God and not be much worried of this world in seeking Him who gives the food of life.
    The remission of sin is the remission of self hate for sin gives self hate and it dulls the conscience to it. I pray that people can enlighten their hearts and consciences in repentance so the Holy Spirit can do its work and sensitise them in unity with God and man."

Amen, i pray with you

And i agree, the monks are a great example of evangelizing.

Thank you so much for all the answers Joshua, they are truly a blessing! And i thank God for His help through you.