Death in Christianity

Hello,

What is the church's view on how a person dies? An immediate family member of mine died completely alone after suffering a severe illness for which nobody tried to help and he had no support from anyone. I work in healthcare and I have seen different types of deaths. To me, I do not believe his death was peaceful or pain free.

How do you think someone feels when they are dying completely alone? I cannot accept the general sayings of "death is rest" and "they went peacefully" because I am aware of how painful the process of dying can be. But is there anything the bible says about what happens to good people who are in the process of dying? Why would God make the righteous suffer horrible deaths (which are not for the sake of martyrdom)?

It sickens me beyond belief to even imagine what he would have been going through. I feel lost and I need answers that my brain and heart can accept. So many things that were said to me seem to be made up by people to comfort the living rather than reveal the facts. I want to know the truth. I am not scared of my own death, but I am grieving the suffering of a loved one and the possibility of similar suffering for the rest of my family. I feel inconsolable over the way he died.

Comments

• I am sorry for the grief you are through mnc_hnn. It sounds like he may of being alone and in distress and it was and still is a very emotional time for you, no doubt.
    Grief can be filled with sadness and anger and it is quite natural to feel this way and it can be because of regret and a deep feeling of hopelessness.
    I pray that are able to look forward because our God is a compassionate God whom gives life to the righteous like the dear one you have just lost, just like Lazarus, whom Jesus united HImself in the grief of those who were mourning Lazarus when He wept.
    He gave a glimpse of the future with Him when He gave joy to the mourners by bringing Lazarus to life. Our hope is in Him for this future joy and that we not to let grief overcome us. It hardens the heart and takes us away from our true joy that God wants for us.
    Also Job who was inconsolable with grief and no-one understood why, but he stayed with God even when he was with depression and in the end he was rewarded and praised God's Glory.

The world can be a mean and uncaring place, but it's not what we look to lest it hardens our hearts. But we look to the good and I'm sure you can remember all the good in your dear ones life and put away and hurt, not to forget but not to let it take hold where it's going to eat away at your good heart. Let our Lord Jesus Christ protect it in your prayers.
  • I am sorry for your pain mnc_hnn. Suffering remains a difficult concept for all, including Christians to reconcile with a loving God. The bible gives us many glimpses of what suffering means to God as Joshuaa quote above but also gives us more than mere explanations. If gives us a real, living, breathing, and historic person; our Lord Jesus Christ. No writings put it as profound as the words of the prophet Isaiah "He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our sufferingyet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." (Isaiah 53:3-5). In Christ, suffering has a meaning and a purpose. When the faithful endure suffering their faith "These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world" (1 Peter 1:7). May the Lord, of Calvary, with His wounds heal your and your family and friends' heart and give you peace, comfort, and grace and guide your beloved into his journey to the Kingdom and give him rest in the bosom of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, in the paradise of joy!
  • edited March 2017
    Psalm 73 may provide some answers
    He has a great reward in heaven. The righteous sometimes suffer more such as the rich man and Lazarus for the sake of rewards and to benefit others because they are able to endure it. Just like God said in the book of Job to satan test him only spare his life. If you can't endure your life it must be because of something you have allowed such as allowed yourself to remain on a drug that harms because a psalm says many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers him from them all. God accepted Job but he wanted to make him perfect. Job friends remained imperfect as proven by the fact they were self righteous thinking they are not punished because they are pure. But they also learned their lesson when God told them to go to Job for him to pray for them but only Job was rewarded

Paul said we must through many trials and tribulations enter the kingdom of God

I found it also very helpful to remember psalm 73 when I feel tempted to sin because our life is not supposed to be easy. In the world you will have tribulation. The way to life is narrow and difficult

Still there are those saved who suffer less such as Job friends though they still suffered

The crown of life is only given to those who overcome temptation

Paul said if we are without chastening we are not God children.