I am atheist and i want to tell some answers

I am Egyptian and I live in Belgium and  was born as muslim in a muslim Egyptian family.I listen that in Egypt muslims and Christians aren't friendly with cosmic people and that Egypt don't have atheists.I want to learn more about christianism and if ''Coptic'' is religion or ethnic.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    What does "cosmic people" mean?

Egypt does have atheists and I think there's an increase in atheism, but it is true that it is frowned upon in Egyptian culture from what I understand.

What would you like to know about Christianity? The word "Coptic" is ethnic. It literally means "Egyptian". So from a native perspective, the Coptic Orthodox Church is an ancient Church founded by St. Mark (one of the four gospel authors) in 42 AD, about a decade after Jesus Christ was crucified. So it is an ancient Church, which grew and spread over all of Egypt and other areas of Africa as well. This is the Church of you and your parent's ancestors.

To learn about Christianity, pick up a New Testament and read. You can start with anyone of the gospels. We have four gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. You can start with Matthew and if there's any questions, we can answer them for you. :)

Matthew: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+1&version=NKJV

By the way, you can change the version. I don't know how good your English is. This website has some French versions you can read for ease, and if there are any problems, we can compare what we know with what you read.

God bless you!
  • One very good introduction to Christianity also is the book "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis.
  • welcome to the forum :) here we are very friendly with atheists, muslims and everyone else.
    we believe in God because we experienced His love and we know He loves you also.
    it is true that most people in egypt don't understand atheism, they assume everyone follows one religion or the other.

i am in uk, here around 70% of people are atheists or unsure if there is a God or not.

i am Christian which means i follow Jesus Christ who was the Word of God who came to earth to show all the people how to live in love and forgiveness. He even forgave His enemies when they killed him, then He rose from the dead so that He could give eternal life to everyone in the world who accepts it from Him.
    i was born in uk, but joined the coptic orthodox church 8 years ago because here i found the depths of the love of God (more than in the church i was in before)
  • If you decide to also read some books about Christianity, I also recommend CS Lewis "Mere Christianity".  AFTER you finish this book, I would also recommend "The Orthodox Way" by Bishop Kallistos Ware

French versions: