Catholic Church Communion

I grew up going to Catholic School and we would periodically go to mass in a nearby church. Me, being Coptic, was confused as to why they [Roman Catholics] have the choice to take the Body alone or take both, the Body and the Blood. I heard that some people don't like the wine, but I don't think this is an excuse to not receiving our Lord in full. Christ said whoever doesn't eat his Body and DRINK HIS BLOOD has no part in him. I don't get how they can believe the same thing but don't partake of Both Holies. Can someone please explain this to me in a way where I can understand it.

Comments

• Sounds like hearsay to me.
    I went to Catholic church bible studies before I was baptisted by our church and I went to a mass ( also tried to confess but wasn't allowed ) and they were fairly observant in their rites.
    I can't believe you can choose to have the bread and not the wine. Could be wrong but I don't think so.
  • It'a usually kids and teens that don't drink the Blood, however I have seen many adults not have both. Usually there's a Eucharistic minister off to the side with a little bit of wine in the cup and not many people go to him/her to drink the Wine. I don't know if this changes your view on it at all. I have been to many Catholic masses and have seen this happening in many churches.
  • It begs the question of why are you attending their masses? It seems a bit casual. The partaking of the Eucharist I mean.
  • Catholics believe that in transubstantiation there is blood in the flesh (which we know flesh does have blood), therefore it is not essential to recieve from the chalice also. As far as I am concerned, this is so far down my list of priorities to be worrying about
  • > Joshuaa > It begs the question of why are you attending their masses? It seems a bit casual. The partaking of the Eucharist I mean.

The reason I attended these masses is because I go to Catholic School and we sometimes go to mass. It is not in my best interest to attend these masses but it's one thing I must do to attend Catholic School. However, I am happy that I have noticed these changes and have had a deeper appreciation for our Coptic Traditions.

sirlanky1990 > Catholics believe that in transubstantiation there is blood in the flesh (which we know flesh does have blood), therefore it is not essential to recieve from the chalice also. As far as I am concerned, this is so far down my list of priorities to be worrying about

This is by far not one of my priorities, I was just really curious as to why there are these differences occur. I now have a better idea of why they have a choice between both Mysteries. Thanks for everyone's responses and God Bless you all!
  • edited February 2017
    It is common in the West for that to occur. My mother, who is in her 70's and has seen a massive transition in the Catholic Church during her lifetime, won't take the Blood from the Catholic Church because she fears it will spread illnesses.

Studies have shown, even in the Catholic Church, this is not true. When she was allowed to commune at my Coptic Church, she initially wouldn't take the Blood until my Abouna explained that you must take both as was instructed by Jesus Himself.

Sadly, it's an awkward Westernized misunderstanding that it IS the Body and Blood of Christ. Meaning, Catholics tend to underestimate the importance of communion, due to lax rules instituted by the second Vatican council in the 1960's (You can hold the waffer in your hand and take it yourself) and the implementation of "Eucharistic Ministers" who may pass communion and are not members of Clergy.

I have some kids in the Sunday school class I teach who go to Catholic school and desribe what you say almost word for word wondering why they don't take the Blood. I never did after my first communion in the Catholic Church.