Selah

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello everyone, I have a little question that has been on my mind for the longest time. How come in some of the Psalms it has the word "Selah" at the end of some verses? If it is possible that maybe someone can explain this to me. When I looked it up in the dictionary it said, that it is for musical direction (Oxford Dictionary)..... but I would like a clearer explaination.
By the way some examples where you can find the word is in psalm 63,82,84,85
Thank you in advance and God Bless.

Yours in Christ:
Avvaantoni

Comments

• I don't see any :-\..could you specify a verse?
  • This is a monster stab in the dark, but... aren't Psalms songs? Maybe we don't sing them, but they were once sung, or intended to be sung. So, I guess it is actually musically oriented. That’s my guess...
  • you know, thats a really good question.... i've been wondering about that too....
    anyone here got an idea?

salam

take care and God bless
  • i've always thought that selah means "pray" .....isnt that what it means in hebrew and arabic.....yea im not positive about it...this is really a good question by the way :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  • Here are the specific references....
    Psalm 62 end of verse 8
    Psalm 82 end of verse 2
    Psalm 83 end of verse 8
    Psalm 84 end of verse 4
    Psalm 85 end of verse 2

there are more, but I cannot recall all of them.

By the way, you might not find it in the Agpeya, you have to look in the NKJV of the Bible.

Thank you and I am awaiting a response.

Your brother:
    Avvaantoni
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=984;start=0#msg17140 date=1104725108]
    This is a monster stab in the dark, but... aren't Psalms songs? Maybe we don't sing them, but they were once sung, or intended to be sung. So, I guess it is actually musically oriented. That’s my guess...

Mark, that is what I am guessing too but I would like a better explaination if anyone had one. Thanks

Agape
  • I was told that some of the psalms are songs. They have directions for instruments and so forth...At least that was what I was told. Hope that helps.

GBU
  • :)

Selah, [celah], is from the primary Hebrew root word [calah] which means 'to hang,' and by implication to measure (weigh). This is readily understood because in Biblical history, money, food and other valuables were 'weighed' by hanging or suspending them on a type of balance (the equivalent of our measuring scale) to determine their value. We find an example of this word [calah] as it is literally translated 'valued,' in the book of Job, indicating that which is measured.

Whenever we see this word in scripture, we should understand that the Lord is exhorting us to 'weigh' these things thoughtfully, and to reflect and consider in good sense judgment, what is 'really' being said.

And despite claims to the contrary, there is no substantive Biblical evidence that Selah is an interrupter to pause the music while voices continue, nor is there sound evidence that it is for the pausing of voices while the music continues. These ideas are based upon the conjecture and theories of it being a music stop. It is a presupposition rather an well researched conclusion. But what we do know is that it is a word which means to weigh or measure. And in these contexts, to weigh the preceding Word of God and wisely consider them. It is a signature exhortation from God for our thoughtful reflection and weighing of what we have just read.

:)

To weigh,to meditate,to reflect upon,to take it to heart.
  • Selah means end of a musical tone to start different a tone as these pslams were singing by musics.
  • Selah means end of a musical tone to start different a tone as these pslams were singing by musics

As I stated in my previous post there is no evidence that Selah is used as a music stop.This is pure conjecture,nothing more.The word actually means to weigh or measure.Used in the context of scripture it most probably means to weigh,meditate,reflect etc..Whenever you read a portion of scripture that contains the word Selah,God wants you to stop,reflect,pay close attention to that Word of God.

To simply say that Selah refers to a music stop is incorrect and misleading.
  • Thank you all for your contributions. I now have somewhat a clearer understanding. May God bless you for your time.

Yours in Christ:
    Avvaantoni