Newbie to Coptic Church and Need some Help :)

edited December 2014 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Hello all. This is my first post. Also, I am  a new (serious) inquirer, and have attended a small mission parish near my house since August of this year. (Sadly, the priest can only come once a month for divine liturgy).

First, allow me to say that by the second visit I was smitten. (The first visit was too new and confusing for me to enjoy the liturgy). Well, it has been 3 months and I have asked Father M. if I could become a catechumen. He did not say anything definite, but has given me some books to read until he returns this month.

I'm writing to this forum because, sadly, my husband wants to move back to Japan after he finishes his degree after 2 or 3 years. The move I can accept, but I will be heartbroken if there is not a Coptic Church in or near Osaka, Japan. I do not want to go through the catechumenate and holy baptism if I cannot participate in church life. I know....this is selfish.

Thanks for reading this, dear forum members. :)

Comments

• as far as i know there is currently only one coptic church in japan.
    it is in the middle of tottori province, north of okayama, it looks like around 200km away from osaka:
    http://www.hisvine.com/church/59/directions
    (the web site seems to be under development)
    there was also a website in japanese, but that link no longer works.

there are other orthodox churches (eastern orthodox) which may be closer:
    http://orthodoxwiki.org/Protection_of_the_Theotokos_Church_(Osaka,_Japan)

or, if you speak japanese (recommended for living in japan!):
    http://www.orthodoxjapan.jp/
    japanese is not too difficult, i learnt 14 words and 2 symbols in 2 weeks (the word for seaweed!),
    so it would only take me about 40 years to learn it...
    ;-)

history here:
    http://www.mesogeia.net/orthodox/orthodoxchurchjapan_en.html

the most important thing for you is to come closer to God and learn His will for your life.
    don't worry! He knows you are married and also where you will end up living.
    so do come to the church and come closer to God and then leave the details with God.
    He always provides spiritual nourishment for His children.
    may He guide you in all your plans.
    :-)
  • God bless you, Mabsoota!

I found comfort in your words. You are right...I am not in control of my life and nobody else is. If it's the Lord's will that I make occasional trips to Tottori-ken (prefecture) then so be it...if it's going to an Eastern Orthodox church, so be it....I was in the freaking out stage while writing that post. :) You are right...I will continue going to my mission parish (I already call it mine! :D) and praise God with the patience he has given me. 

By the way, I took Japanese classes in college, but much has seemed to slip away! LOL. (I do know that "nori"= seaweed, haha. Don't ask me for the kanij though.) I am better at conversing than reading.

I have a general question though: what do people do when they do not live anywhere near an Orthodox church? I would welcome anyone's comments on this question. 

• Germex said:

I have a general question though: what do people do when they do not live anywhere near an Orthodox church? I would welcome anyone's comments on this question. 

Sorry for the late response. When someone does not live near an Orthodox Church, you speak to the closest bishop and ask what to do. Since you will be in Japan, the closest bishop accessible by internet is Bishop Sourial of Melbourne Australia. Usually, a bishop will allow you to attend an Eastern Orthodox Church or a Roman Catholic Liturgy if necessary. But recently, most of these bishops setup additional missionary services where they come to you or send someone to you. I know this has happened in many Latin America countries there is one Coptic family and Bishop Youssef or Bishop Agathon travel frequently. 

God bless you on your journey to the Kingdom of heaven.
  • edited December 2014
    Remnkemi said:

Germex said:

Since you will be in Japan, the closest bishop accessible by internet is Bishop Sourial of Melbourne Australia.
    Not correct.  The closest bishop is Bishop Daniel of Sydney Australia.  Actually, I believe Japan is officially under HG's jurisdiction.
  • Goodness gracious. Forgive my really late reply to your help, Remnkemi and Qawe. Thank you both for your help. I will contact Bishop Daniel when the time comes closer. God bless you all.