Questions on Kiahk

edited December 2014 in General Announcements
Dear all,
We may have discussed similar issues over the years but I need deeper answers this time to two questions:
first, HICS recorded the sharat in the following format: first verse long, second semi-long, third mohayer, fourth regular Kiahk tune. Now I listened to danwah cantor Gad and found him doing the first three verses long, fourth semi-long, fifth mohayer, and sixth regular.. is that right?
secondly, HICS recorded allelujah of psalm 150 in a slightly different manner to allelujah of the Kiahk hos. I know @minatasgeel once said both are the same thing but I am double-checking lest I may have misunderstood.. I know that a monk in Anba Bishoy monastery sings it like the HICS Do but cantor Gad does it similar to Fr Matthias Nasr on this website..
enlighten me please
oujai khan ebshois

Comments

• for (1) There isn't really a specific order of which parts to say in which tune. I learned the Sherat from Wagdi and he only records one tune for each of the first 3 paragraphs and and than the damg for the rest. M Ibrahim and Gad constructed the rest (probably). This is exactly like aretenthonti: the source only recorded the first part (as well as ti-galili-a) and then in newer recordings, more paragraphs were recorded in that same long tune probably to be more complete of a set. I think the main person who started doing this was M Tawfik. He used to say 'ommal el-ebli ye-olo eh?!' = 'what would the south [side] say?!' referring to each side would say a long part. That's why he has Fay etaf enf recorded long as well as the 2nd paragraph of Afsholem....i bet you didn't think i'll say that many words on this question :-)

for (2) I don't think they are the same fully but i think they are only same in the 1st two. I am basing this on the fact that I learned it at the Texas Monastery and i believe M Hany from Tennessee (if he is still there) taught it to them. So ignore what i said before and learn it from HICS or M Gad.

• @minatasgeel,
    great responses Mina thank you very much. Cantor Towfik's reasoning is not perfect because we have in tasbeha dehey enhikanos, hos arof, and big hoses, to name a few in addition to the vast number in the liturgy that one verse is chanted long but not the rest. HICS for danwah ensok too then
    oujai khan ebshois
  • Habibi, nothing is perfect....hymns are just another way for us to be closer to God if we care too much about the hymns instead of their effect on ourselves than all of our services and chanting and learning is in vain.....
  • Habibi, nothing is perfect....hymns are just another way for us to be closer to God if we care too much about the hymns instead of their effect on ourselves than all of our services and chanting and learning is in vain.....

That's true, but that doesn't mean we should discourage research and critical thinking.
  • I am not discouraging research but i am disapproving of biased critical thinking that is applied to that research and destroys relations among deacons and the unity of spirit--that is while leaving all the care towards the unity of chanting hymns.  
  • @minatasgeel
    very surprised Of your stance.. you've always been the one telling me to search and research.. cannot understand how this destroys the unity and the spirit of unison. Did somebody complain to you of me?
    oujai khan ebshois
  • Hehe....read the entire sentence again carefully.