Donating your body

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys, I've recently read a story of a little boy who passed away because of a certain disease and there was no cure for it. His mom loved him dearly and it pained him to see her crying even more..so to prevent any other mother from losing her son to that disease he donated his body for study. This in essence is a kind deed but again, our bodies are not our own. So what would the church say about this situation? God bless. ;)

Comments

• was the little boy alive or dead when his body was dontated 4 research?
  • he wasn't alive.
  • oh, then i guess it's ok, because the body is going to be put to good use. but it's just my opinion
  • awwwwwww how adorable.. omg.. i think i'm gonna cry now.. :'(.. but WOW!!.. umm well in my opinion.. i think thats not wrong... but sweet.. and WOW.. i'm speechless :-X.. its very touching :'(.. :D

Rina ;)
  • I've heard it was wrong before but I don't know..
  • hey you noe on ur license where you check off an organ you would like to donate...is that right....donating an organ to save some else's life...because lyk u said servantofjesus....our bodies arent ours to give
  • does anyone know?? :) I'm lost ???
  • me 2...lol...thats a cute face > ???..lol
  • as mentioned before, our bodies are not ours, they belong to God....however this applies more to when we're alive.....

when we leave this earth, what belongs to God is now our spirit, not body... God has no use of our body because our spirit is now (hopefully) with Him... our body was just a temporary habitat for our spirit to live in until we're finally re-united with our Lord.....so it should be ok to donate a body/organ for good use to save a life.
    after all, God encourages doing good...

as long as it doesnt take us away from our focus on God, and our ultimate goal... it should be ok... i mean, why would it... we'd have no use for it......

just my lil opinion though...

take care!
  • Makes sense..
  • i just thought of the craziest thing, what if sum1 donates their body and then scientists see something that wasnt the same in any other body and then it finally strikes them that WE ARE NOT MONKEY-RELATED!....ok sorry, this theory get sme so angry >:( lolx....i refuse 2 agree that i evolved from a monkey... thats just mean! lolx...ok sorry guys, didnt mean 2 go off topic... :-\

But in all honesty, if i thought they could actually discover something in my brain other than nothing, i would def. donate it to science. But my body... ionno i'd b scared, i kno i'd b dead and all but still, that hurts, lolx. I kinda want it to be in one piece so when ppl visit my grave they only have 2 visit one not 70. Ok woee, its the weather, ;D Idk, i'd just b scared thats all, but i dont think thats all wrong, as long as ur not abusing ur body then it shouldn't be so bad... :-\

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • I don't know where I heard it, but I heard it is wrong. Just like God wouldn't allow the relics of the saints to be distroyed after thier death. I could be wrong though. Guys, if anyone can ask an abouna and get back to us, that would be GREAT!
  • i think i read the Pope's answer to this question in one of his "So many years with the problems of people" books. IF i remember well, he said it's ok, because ur offering a part of urself to save others.

I'll re-check and get back at u ;)
  • but its ok to like donate a kidney when ur alive right?
  • yea i thinks okay cuz i noe mother's that have done that for their childern....and its not like they're doing to die afterwards....they're saving a life :) :)
  • Would JESUS GIVE HIS BODY TO SOMEONE WHO NEEDED IT?
    Jesus love us and Hhe gave His life for us. In return, we should do the same.

Luke 11:8
    I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness [ Or persistence] he will get up and give him as much as he needs.

Matthew 10:42
    And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.�

Mark 3:4
    Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?�
  • Hey guys,
    I plan to donate my organs after I die, I think donating your body after you die is something really really good. I dont see a problem with it at all. Since you're already...well.. dead.. you wont be using ur body and instead of it just rotting in the ground u can help someone live a little longer...

God Bless,

Mariam
  • i think that donating ur orgins is a good thing, that is if its not to science, bc theres a difference, we should take care of ourself as its not ours, and how many of us appreciate our lungs or kidneys like someone who is dying withought them? However when u donate ur body to science what ur realy doing is giving urself away, u wont be appreciated very much by a student ripping through u, not even giving u a second thought, ur just sample a or specimine whatever, not a special creation.
  • i dont see a big problem with donating organs to science. u might be helping a doctor discover a treatment for a disease or a student that may eventually become a doctor learn how to treat ill patients.
  • see science doesnt have morals, thrs no right or wrong, u can argue and say it can be used to help make cures, but then some ones else intention is to help clonning
    id stay away from science, yah theres good, but not because its good, thr just happen to be pieces we agree w, and i dont know but it is there a little form that says "circle the above" and u choose cancer? well there may be one, but still ur bodys not going to be loved and cared for as a creation or a being, ur just like an animal to be disected, noone is going to refer to u and Jhonny or lizzy, ur just that project, lab test, whatever. whether we die or not its the same, how would god feel if we sold our bodies? not for sin, just sold it. no its not ours who r we to give it to someone?
    this doesnt contradict what i said about

donating organs bc we know we are helping, that person with every breath will praise god.
  • well i dont know about that but personally in my opinion, i dont think science is bad... in fact mostly anything they do with ur organs is used so they can reach a more sophisticated level of technology that people can benefit from. I dont agree with the cloning of whole organisms but if u have a very good kidney for instance and there are alot of people who are in desperate need of one, then i think thats alright to clone it. and about the moral part... ur dead so it wouldnt matter much i guess, but if they killed a fetus for research thats just inhumane.
  • cloning in essence is wrong..wether you have an excellent kidney or whatever you can't play god and make another excellent kidney. I'm sure it's great helping and all but I think cloning is completely wrong.
  • clonning is absolutely wrong
    mankind should not play god.
    like i said science is not a safe area
    be careful where you choose to have
    your body.

donating is one thing, but to cure a disease or not,
    clonning is out of the picture, and so is stem cell research etc.
  • i just want to add that mariam304 does have a good point
    it is a good thing donating ur body, even to science
    it can be used for good, however i would do research before hand so everything runs as planned...

i also want to note that if God wanted to cure all cancer and disease he could, so y doesnt he? shouldnt we give up our science and tech and just leave it to God?
    but then..i dont know, dont ask