Rites History

Hi all,

Was hoping to crowd-source a quasi-definitive list of books and manuscripts related to Coptic Orthodox liturgical rites, historical and contemporary. With each title, a short summary including its authorship and date of writing would be helpful. If possible, it would be nice to describe where to locate each text, whether in electronic format (preferred), or physical format.

I'll start with some titles. If those more knowledgable than me could fill in details and where to locate, as well as add more titles, that would be great.

• Tarteeb el Bay3a
  • Misbah al-Zulmah fi Idah al-Khidmah - Shams al Riyasah Abu al-Barakat Ibn Kabar
  • Ibn Sebaa

Thanks.

Comments

• Abouna Athanasius el Maqari has written several volumes on this topic.  It is only available in Arabic, and while I have not read it, I am told it is a scholarly work which identifies areas where the Coptic rite has been changed/'corrupted' in recent times.  I don't think a proper study of the Coptic rite can be done without these books.
  • Mina, You are asking for something way bigger than it may seem. This is a huge field that only a few (who must possess the ability to read in a few key languages) can really benefit from, enter into, or contribute to.

At any rate, here is a document compiled by Mr. Hany Takla, President and founder of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society. This is far from up to date or comprehensive, but you can find some of the titles mentioned online.
  • RamezM said:

Mina, You are asking for something way bigger than it may seem. This is a huge field that only a few (who must possess the ability to read in a few key languages) can really benefit from, enter into, or contribute to.

At any rate, here is a document compiled by Mr. Hany Takla, President and founder of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society. This is far from up to date or comprehensive, but you can find some of the titles mentioned online.

Thanks Ramez.

You're right, I lack the knowledge to really make use of 99% of this information, despite my desire. I appreciate your sharing nonetheless.

You mention some can be found online. Do you happen to have links/PDFs/that you'd be willing to share of any of the texts in question in a language I may be able to understand or decipher? (English, Arabic, Greek, or Coptic).

God bless,
    Mina
  • Mina,

While I do have a large digital library, it is mainly for my personal use. I only share items with others for specific reasons, usually those engaged in research and academic writing of their own, or with whom I may be collaborating in some capacity for a specific short term project/goal. Sorry.....I've noticed that many out there have heard of some resources and would just like to acquire them for the sake of acquiring them without any serious plan to use them, and I find sharing books for this purpose time consuming and uncontrolled.

But I tell you what I tell everyone....ask for something specific for a specific reason and you shall receive :)
  • @RamezM: I have nothing but respect for you, and have learned much from you over the years. But I must say, I'm not sure I entirely understand your reluctance to share and make widely available such treasures of our church.

In any case, I was able to find much of what I was looking for here: http://coptic-treasures.com/

I hope this great resource helps others with similar interests.

God bless,
    Mina

• RamezM said:

Mina, You are asking for something way bigger than it may seem. This is a huge field that only a few (who must possess the ability to read in a few key languages) can really benefit from, enter into, or contribute to.

Are you one of the few?