Patriarch Eutychius

Does anyone know anything about this patriarch, and what the view of the Coptic church is on him? Im writing a 6 page research paper on him.. thanks!

Comments

• There is more than one person in history named Eutychius? Which Eutychius and what class is this for? Why him?
  • Its patriarch Eutychius who lived during the reign of Emperor Justinian. Its for a class called Emperors and Patriarchs
  • He's a Chalcedonian patriarch of Constantinople. I'm pretty sure he's considered in a negative light historically.

Come to think of it, the other Eutychius, Chalcedonian patriarch of Alexandria (because he's closer to home) is most definitely seen in a negative light. Usually at around this period from henceforth, our anti-Chalcedonian polemics have been usually confined to refutations of the Chalcedonian Alexandrian patriarchs.
  • I know this isn't who you're looking for, but this is the reason why I asked.  Bishop Severus ibn-Muqaffa (al Ashmumein) wrote a refutation against the Chalcedonian Patriarch Eutychius of Alexandria:

It gives you an idea that any Chalcedonian really is not look upon in a positive light really.
  • For Patriarch Eutychius of Constantinople, I find him mentioned only in the entry of Pope St. Timothy III (Coptic) in Bishop Severus al Ashmumein's "History of the Patriarchs of the Coptic Church", where he mentioned him in the opposition camp of the Chalcedonians along with the "evil Justinian":

Then Timothy took his seat as patriarch on the throne of Alexandria. And Anastasius the believing prince died; and they raised up after him an evil man, a heretic, whose name was Justinian, that he might govern the empire. When Justinian took his seat upon the throne, he employed all his efforts to make the orthodox believers return to the faith of the Chalcedonian council; and the first thing that he began with was that he seized the holy patriarch Severus. And Justinian assembled a council in the city of Constantinople, on his own initiative, at which were present Vigilius, patriarch of Rome, and Apollinaris, whom the prince had made patriarch over Alexandria, and Eutychius, patriarch of the city of Constantinople, and the bishops who were under their jurisdiction. Moreover Justinian sent to fetch the Father Severus, the patriarch, and the bishops of the East; for he thought that he could conciliate the mind of the holy Severus, and incline him to his doctrine, so that all the bishops might obey him, because they firmly believed in Severus and in his faith, and so they might acknowledge the prince's evil doctrine. But the great Severus paid no heed to the prince. And Severus, with his bishops, went to Constantinople that he might confirm the faith; for he thought that that unbelieving prince would be converted from his corrupt doctrine. So when the Father Severus arrived at Constantinople, then the prince at first honoured him greatly, and exalted his rank, and spoke good words to him, seeking from him that he should make concessions to him with regard to the Tome of Leo, by adopting his faith. But Severus, God's champion, had placed in his heart the words of Peter the Apostle to Simon the Magician : «Let thy gifts perish with thee, for I see that thou art full of bitterness, even more than the serpent.» And Justinian the prince was like Nestorius; and one day he commanded that the bishops, falsely so called, should assemble for that council. But neither the Father Severus, the valiant one, nor any of his bishops would be present with them, for he said : «If they will not first anathematize the Tome of Leo and the impure, contemptible council of Chalcedon, I will not consent with them to the doctrine of unbelief.» Then things were done by the prince which this book is too small to relate, lest the narrative should grow too long by recording them. So when the command of the prince reached Severus, and yet he did not meet the bishops in council nor go to join them, they brought trials upon him, and persecutions came upon him.

So even though mentioned only once, it's clearly in a negative manner.  Notice, very interestingly, how in this entry under Pope St. Timothy, we know very little about St. Timothy, and the story is centered around St. Severus of Antioch.  He held such a huge position of authority, where it seemed St. Timothy simply asserted everything St. Severus taught and fought for.  It wasn't until St. Severus passed away when the next Coptic Pope St. Theodosius becomes popular.

I'm not sure whether the entry seems to make a mistake concerning the Council of Constantinople II, which took place in 553 AD, long after St. Severus and Pope St. Timothy died, but when Pope St. Theodosius was alive.
  • thanks you so much!! i greatly appreciate it