The Coptic church and Islam

Do you guys think that Islam influenced the Coptic Church over the ages? If so, in what ways? Positive? Negative? Examples? 
How different would the Coptic Church be if Islam never entered Egypt?

Comments

• if islam didn't enter egypt we would still be speaking coptic :) islam did influence us positively giving the church martyrs and many obstacles which made the Coptic Church very strong and affirmed in its faith and traditions. 
  • I was referring to traditions at church. For example, the isolation of men and women in church. Is that due to the Islamic influence or is that part of the Tradition (Capital T)?
  • edited February 2014
    ^It is a part of our tradition (lowercase t) and it is a historical practice within the Church predating the advent of Islam.

Some influences of Islam on Copts:

-Many Copts adopt a prohibitionist view of alcohol even though drinking alcohol is not banned within our religion

-Some Copts, lamentably, practice female genital mutilation (particularly in upper Egypt)

There are other examples, but I believe I have said enough for now.
  • Honestly, I think it was the Coptic Church that influenced Islam (always in positive ways). Egyptian Arabic is the most popular Arabic dialect with a large number of Coptic loan words into Arabic. The Coptic Church is a shining example of how a local church (the largest in the middle east) has survived alongside Islam, even during persecution. I wrote an article on how the Crusaders believed they had to war against the Mohammedeans because no church would survive in their lands, much less Jerusalem. Then there were many times when the Coptic Pope interceded for the Muslim ruler and another country (Ethiopia or Nubia). Finally, don't forget that one of Mohammed's wives was a Copt. We all know that behind every man (good and bad), it's a woman who runs the show and the man denies it. 

I don't think the Copts adopted a prohibitionist view of alcohol because of Islam. There are actual canons by Patriarch Gabriel Ibn Turiyak that forbid alcohol. There are also canons that forbid things that Islam doesn't do (like simony, sacrificing animals to Archangel Michael, etc). There is no evidence of correlation of rules that are borrowed from another religion, just a coincidental correlation 
  • I don't think the COC has been changed. That is the whole point of Orthodoxy; it remains the same, from Christ to His Disciples - to us!
    We allow our circumstances to change us. That is why we have this Great Time of Lent to repent and get ourselves
    in tune with God and His Will in our lives.

It is our constant battle until we meet our Lord and Savior in the End. The end of our days; or the worlds'.

It's funny, I was just thinking about Egypt and Copts and there situation yesterday when I read the scriptures about not living with people who are bad. Since we are only human we are liable to pick up on those bad traits; not even meaning too. It's like a contagious disease.

God forgive me a worthless sinner
  • Severian,

That's exactly what I am looking for. What about something like entering the church with your right foot first? ...etc.
    "There are other examples, but I believe I have said enough for now."
    The more the merrier haha

Remnkemi,
    That's a really interesting way to look at it. Where can I read your article?

"We all know that behind every man (good and bad), it's a woman who runs the show and the man denies it. "
    Haha

"There is no evidence of correlation of rules that are borrowed from another religion, just a coincidental correlation."
    Is there any correlations that are unique to the Coptic church?