Saint Dimiana.. Bride of circumcision?

In the doxology to saint Dimiana, it refers to her as the bride of Circumcision... why is that? 

Comments

• Simple. The translation is wrong because it is based on Arabic. νυμφίος means "bridegroom" not circumcision. Circumcision in Coptic is ⲡⲓⲥⲉⲃⲓ (pisebi) and in Greek it is περιτομή (peritome) for males and ακρωτηριασμός (akrotyriasmos) for the ritual of circumcision. However, all three are translated as الختان in Arabic. The Coptic word for bridegroom is ⲡⲓⲡⲁⲧϣⲉⲗⲉⲧ (pipatshelet) or the Greek loan word ⲡⲓⲛⲩⲙⲫⲓⲟⲥ (pinymphios). The latter is the Coptic word used in the doxology.

I cannot find any liturgical text that use the phrase "bride of circumcision". I don't know what it could possibly mean. Hopefully, someone smarter than me can offer a possible interpretation of the phrase.

In English the correct phrase is a little awkward. "Bride of the bridegroom" seems redundant. However, it is an illusion to the 5 wise virgins in Matthew 25. It is meant to say St Demian is the Bride of the Christ the Bridegroom (not any bridegroom). It also explains why St Mary is not called the Bride of Christ but the bridal chamber that holds the bridegroom (again not any bridegroom). 

I hope this helped.
  • Ohhh that makes a lot more sense! Thank you! 
  • I am not sure what the text on the text library is, but someone who doesn't know arabic that well can make this mistake, specially when the word is rarely used in arabic anymore.
    - ختن =  khatan = bridegroom.
    - ختان = khetan - circumcision. 
  • St Demian's doxology in Arabic does say الختن. I apologize for confusing ختن and ختان in my previous post. Thank you Mina for educating me in my weakness.