Is Jesus God?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
are God and Jesus one (God in a human body which is Jesus)? or they are two separate?

Comments

• Yes Jesus is God, Jesus and God are one, they were never separated for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye, even though God sent Jesus in this world to take our human nature, yet at the same time Jesus Christ was complete in His divinity, 100% human & 100% divine, He being divine came by His pure, sinless nature, to offer Himself up for us a sacrifice for our sins, if He was only human He could not do so, yet at the same time He humbled Himself, and took our form, and became like us.

“ When Jesus came into the borders of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that you are John the Baptist: some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He says unto them, But whom say you that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living GodAnd Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed are you, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood has not revealed it unto you, but my Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 16:13-17

“I and my Father are one” John 10:30
    “Say you of him, whom the Father has sanctified, and sent into the world, You blaspheme; because I said, I am the Son of God? If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though you believe not me, believe the works: that you may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him. “ John 10: 16-38

“But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? And Jesus said, I am: and you shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. 3 Then the high priest tore his clothes, and says, What need we any further witnesses?” Mark 14:61-64

“Jesus says unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6

• i totally agree with Princess Mary,
    two books that really helped me out, when i was confused about this topic were:
    1.the divinity of Christ
    2.the nature of Christ
    both by H.H Pope Shenouda III
    plz i recommend u read these to amazing books
    im sure they will help.
    pray 4 me
    George the true sinner
  • Thank you guys :).
    but this is what confuses me, he always represented himself as the SON of God and not god himself... and in other section in the bible especially the letters that were sent by many ppl spreading the word of Jesus, he was represented as God himself.

• i guess u could try and understand it, but u neva will, i never will,
    our minds are of this world, they cant comprehend the mysteries of God.
    the church that say we understand God are lying
    God himself is a mystery
    and our church acknowledges that
    George
    all will be revealed in the last day.
  • Dear Godsinmyheart, are you Coptic?
  • Dear Godsinmyheart,

Try to think of it this way, if there is God the Father then Who or What is His Son? If I am born of my parents then you'll know that my being is made up of some DNA from my Dad and some from my Mum. Then you have a few external forces and your born and that is how your being is formed.

By Jesus saying He is God's Son, He is declaring 2 things, the first is that He is God also and the second is that He is equal with God.

Think of it like God the Father gave His Son His full Spiritual DNA so they are totally equal with regards to their attributes and abilities. The only difference is that the Father is a different person from the Son. It is like St. Athanasius wrote, the only difference between the Father and the Son is the Father is the Father and the Son is the Son. Sure the Son is taking His existance from the Father but part of that is that He is inheriting the ability or an equal right to be called God too like in Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not a thing to be grasped to be equal with God."

The term Father in its original language means 'source' and the term Son was meant to indicate something which is produced, the term we use in the creed for this is begotten. Its not a conventional Father to Son relationship as we know it in earthly terms, God created these titles as an example for us so we know that the Father is the Source of all things in existance and that He has an equal Spiritual entity in His image who is a product of His existance so He is called His Son. Its best not to get confused by thinking of these things as purly earthly terms God was being kind to us by describing the relationship as like that of a Father to a Son but we need to be aware of the hidden mystery that these simple terms hide!

These are important concepts because without the Son the Father's existance is meaningless. The reason I say this is because of the verse in the Bible that says God is love. Suppose there was no Son, just the Father. If the Father was love then who was He loving? The only conclusion is Himself, this makes Him self centred and by that criteria we could count ourselves or the devil as being the image of God because we love ourselves and not others. But there is a Father and a Son, the Father loves the Son and the Son loves the Father. The Son takes His being from His Father but the Father needs the Son.

In the Gospels there is one verse you should remember if this troubles you, remember how St. Thomas cried out My Lord and My God to Him when he touched the Lords side, if Jesus was just the Son of God and not God, he would have rebuked Thomas wouldn't He?

God bless you,

CS
  • Please keep your posts and responses to the topic...

You may respond to the comments of others, but please remember that everyone is entititled to speak their mind.

As Brothers and Sisters we need to be respectfull of each other.

Please keep that in mind... these forums are for the benefit of everyone.

• heymarmoora-barboora
    that was a bit harsh, im sure who eva asked it needed assurance.
    we all need answers and its betta to be upfront, rather then being afraid to ask, then wats the point of these forums.
    sorry to sound like im pickin on u, but we both know ive asked many terrible questions, but all the answers helpped me.
    in other words ask
    "wateva floats ur boat"
    george
  • Dear marmoora-barboora,

I don't mean to sound critical, but i was very dissapointed to read a comment like that...

There is NO QUESTION TOO "RIDCULOUS" that anyone of any age could ask when they want to learn...

Especially this question! This question is dealt with by all the clergy, priests, bishops and the Pope ALL THE TIME. It is a very difficult concept to COMPLETELY understand because: NO ONE ACTUALLY DOES, infact we will not actually understand it until God reveals His mysteries to us!

It is better to ask and learn, than to remain confused and have doubts...

The issues concerning the unity of the Holy Trinity are very deep and theological, and may lead us to be confused. What is important for all of us is to have the faith that, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the three 'hypostasis' of our ONE God.

Also, in response to your question, 'GoDiSiNmYhEaRt', Our Lord, GOD and Saviour Jesus Christ at many times in the Gospels, is seen: praying, fasting and doing things which we wouldn't think God would need to do. What we need to remember is that God didn't come down JUST to DIE for us and TAKE AWAY OUR SINS... HE came to Show us 'THE WAY', by presenting the perfect example of how we should live our lives. This proves His True HUMILITY and His great love for us all!!!

God Bless you all,
    Please pray for my weakness
  • [quote author=Peter Gergis link=board=1;threadid=186;start=0#msg864 date=1082744616]
    Dear Godsinmyheart, are you Coptic?

Hi peter, just curious, im wondering why u asking that Q?
    And to answer your q, No im not. :)
  • Hey GodsInMyHeart,
    Just asking, I have an article by a protestant pastor from Britain. In his sermon, he discusses how Jesus is an entity of God. he also discussess how that notion can be accepted or dismissed. If you would like to see it, E-mail me, and I'll forward it to you.
  • [quote author=Peter Gergis link=board=1;threadid=186;start=0#msg935 date=1083003841]
    Hey GodsInMyHeart,
    Just asking, I have an article by a protestant pastor from Britain. In his sermon, he discusses how Jesus is an entity of God. he also discussess how that notion can be accepted or dismissed. If you would like to see it, E-mail me, and I'll forward it to you.

Hi peter. how r u?
    Im still waiting for ur reply, i sent u an email i wonder if u go it or not?

God bless you
  • i was always told this example when this question was asked.
    think of the sun. u have the actual disk, the heat, and the light. they are all one, yet separate. do u know what i mean. i hope this helps.
  • very valid piont princess,
    a way i like to think of it is that the trinity are three distinct figures, or beings, that share an Essence, we being human share a human essence thats why were all human, u cant say to a human ur not part of our race. we are all one, therefore God, Jesus and the Holy spirit, are one, the only differents is there more closer in tune with each other, we cant share in that DEVINE ESSENCE that they share.
  • i think the word you're looking for is hypostasis... three in one...
  • [pre][/pre]

Christo Anesti!
    God bless you All! Awesome answers and excelllent question! I hope i dont confuse anybody but if I do please forgive this poor ignorant gamuz...;). Our Lord Jesus Christ is Fully God and Fully Human. Since this isa Coptic site we will stay with the Non Chalcedonian definition which states that Jesus Christ has one composite nature where He is fully God and Fully Human without both Natures ever mixing nor confusing each other nor being absorbed by one another . In John 1:1 Jesus is called the Word of God and He is called God but here He is not called God the Father but God in ESSENCE. Essence describes WHAT A thing IS. Thus Jesus is GOD PERSON describes WHO you ARE. The God the Son is Jesus. they are 2 different people. Thus when Our Lord Jesus Christ syas he and the father are ONE...John 10:30... He means ONE in ESSENCE (what they are) not that they are the same person! Every human being is a person (name,culture,family,race,etc...) and every person has an essence (what makes them human: Reason,free will, creativity,natural appetites etc..). Jesus was one person with one (according to the Non- Chalcedonian definition) Nature who was fully God and Fully Human.

IN Him dwelt fully the Godhead bodily (Collossians 2:9). Besides His Holiness Pope Sheouda's books you can also try www.oca.org but is not a Coptic site. God Bless you. Moooooooo!;)
  • ;) u got it mary...
    the only word that can come close to descibind it is hypostasis.
    Hi 5 for u! :D