Gospel Responses Book according to Tarteeb el Beya

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi all,

Just wanted to announce that my church has published a book. It is a translation of the Gospel Responses for Vespers, Matins, and the Liturgy of the Sundays of the year. As you know, most churches pray "Oniatoo" year round during annual days. In fact, there are Gospel responses unique to every Gospel.

Our hope is that this book spreads throughout the English speaking church, to give churchgoers the opportunity to meditate on the individual gospel responses.

The books will be $15 +shipping for individuals, but there are bulk discounts available as well.

If anyone would like to order a copy or see a sample as well as the foreword by H.G. Bishop Youssef, we can be reached by email at [email protected]

If you have any questions that I can answer here, fire away!

Thanks

Comments

• Hi aiernovi,

God bless your efforts. Am I correct in assuming it also contains the original Coptic responses in addition to the English translations?
  • Yes, english, arabic, and coptic
  • What did you guys use for the ascension gospel reponse where it says in "tarteeb el baya"      fee-etaferkata axioin.... followed by the next verse of ouoh menenca ehme enehoo.
  • The book covers all the Sunday Gospel Responses for the year including lent and the Holy Fifty days. The feast of the Ascension is celebrated on Thursday and therefore was not including in this volume. God willing, we are beginning to translate and compile the daily responses as well as responses for Feasts (even though the festal Gospel responses can usually be found in various deacon's service books)

I can, however, take a look at that particular verse and have it translated if you need it for something specifically.
  • i want a copy. email sent.
  • Great! I sent you a reply, if you know anyone else interested just have them email us [email protected]

We are really hoping to get this book to every church so that the responses are used.
  • Will the book be sold in a digital format?
  • We currently do not have plans to publish it in electronic format, but will begin to explore those options soon
  • At our parish, we have been translating and using these gospel responses for almost a year now. There is also a similar, 19th cent, English translation of Sunday gospel responses by Mallan which often differs from the MSS used in Bp. Samuel's book. I look at both and select the most appropriate.

I wonder how similar our translations will be. Sometimes the Coptic in Bp. Samuel's book is incomplete and/or unintelligible.
  • Is it available in Egypt?
  • That's really interesting. While we've been using the gospel responses for a few years, we have only had access to Tarteeb el Beya. Where could I find the Sunday gospel responses by Mallan?

You are right, there were areas of the book in the Coptic that were incomplete or unintelligible. We had to lean on a few Coptic experts to basically estimate what the response was supposed to say based on the Coptic and Arabic there.
  • [quote author=Sem Sem link=topic=14644.msg166154#msg166154 date=1380814076]
    Is it available in Egypt?

We could possibly ship to Egypt, although for it to make sense for you, I would see if you could find a number of people who would like the book so that the shipping costs could be spread over a greater amount of books/people
  • I was told that there were communion melodies that are also based on the sunday gospel readings, can anyone verify this? If so, does anyone know a reliable source? I really love the idea of having the gospel response correlate to the actual gospel, maybe one day we can have the same happen for the communion melodies...
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know we received the books. To order, you can go to

http://wiscopts.net/store

Thanks!
  • Hello,

I just noticed that this is apart of SUSCopts,  just wana say you guys rock! anyways... I was wandering whether this would be made available on Coptic reader?

God Bless
  • Actually, our church is not part of the Southern Diocese. We had H.G. review it because a number of the people working on the book studied at his seminary in Titusville. We hope to have the contents of the book make its way to Coptic Reader, but are not sure when that will happen quite yet.

Thanks!
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=14644.msg166311#msg166311 date=1382296312]
    Actually, our church is not part of the Southern Diocese. We had H.G. review it because a number of the people working on the book studied at his seminary in Titusville. We hope to have the contents of the book make it's way to Coptic Reader, but are not sure when that will happen quite yet.

Thanks!

I ordered the book....waiting for it. I may have some comments when is see the text. :-)
  • Great to hear and we look forward to any comments! This was an effort that took quite some time and consisted of many different parts. If there is any way the book can be improved we would love to hear it as we are working on translating other sections of Tarteeb el Beya now. Just email us with any comments, corrections, or suggestions at [email protected]
  • Hi Aiernovi 
    do you have the translation for the Coptic New Year mass gospel response in Coptic and Coptic Arabic if yes pls sent it on [email protected]
    GBU