Hi from Seattle :)

edited December 1969 in Introductions
I found this site from OC.net, how cool is this :)

I'm a graduate student living in Seattle, as the post says. I'm also a preschool teacher. I grew up Catholic, became Muslim at 15 and finally left Islam when I was 26. Towards the very end of my Muslim days I met this awesome Egyptian guy and assumed he was also Muslim, only to find out he was Coptic Christian. I really just wanted to learn Arabic from a native speaker so we became friends. Fast forward and now we're engaged.

I've been attending the GOC here, but recently started to visit the COC and I like it very much, but the main one is about an hour if not farther away from me so I don't go often. Orthodoxy feels like the spiritual home I had been searching for since my teenage years.

Comments

• Whoa, that's such a cool story. Just out of curiosity, what caused you to convert to Orthodoxy other than your spouse being Orthodox?
  • I have not officially been re-baptized yet :)

Anyway, as weird as is sounds, probably my Muslim years. Islam took so much from the early/Orthodox Church, and I was ignorant of that for a long time. I assumed well, this is all strictly in Islam only (certain things like daily prayer, etc), not borrowed from or based on any other faith but as soon as I found those things out it was like a light went on. LOL granted I was in denial for little bit but obviously I came around.
  • [quote author=rebecca.ann link=topic=14559.msg165512#msg165512 date=1375423916]
    I have not officially been re-baptized yet :)

Anyway, as weird as is sounds, probably my Muslim years. Islam took so much from the early/Orthodox Church, and I was ignorant of that for a long time. I assumed well, this is all strictly in Islam only (certain things like daily prayer, etc), not borrowed from or based on any other faith but as soon as I found those things out it was like a light went on. LOL granted I was in denial for little bit but obviously I came around.

Ya I know what you mean, the Orthodox Church is definitely the church to be a part of if you are Christian. You made a great choice, God bless you on your way and protect you because I know it must be hard to convert from Islam and just giving something that you firmly believed in up. You won't regret it though, nice to meet you.
  • Thanks geomike and nice meeting you too :)

It has been hard because I lost most all of my friends and social circle, but my actual family is pretty pleased since they are all Christian as well. Looking back I had slowly been giving up Islam little by little for the past year or year and a half but yea, still wasn't the easiest thing.
  • [quote author=rebecca.ann link=topic=14559.msg165519#msg165519 date=1375494922]
    Thanks geomike and nice meeting you too :)

It has been hard because I lost most all of my friends and social circle, but my actual family is pretty pleased since they are all Christian as well. Looking back I had slowly been giving up Islam little by little for the past year or year and a half but yea, still wasn't the easiest thing.

Well you now have a family here and people at church tend to be really friendly. It's like moving to another city, you leave people behind but you make friends in your new area. If you ever need to vent or just write things out to make you feel better I am here for you. You can send me a private message anytime.

God with you
  • God is the Center of attention in our church.

It is a good idea to communicate with him, even when you are in the elevator or in the mall or waiting at the traffic light.  Short prayers:  "Lord guide me", "Lord what You want me to do?"  or "Lord what is Your will for my life?"

Always fix your eyes on Him.

God bless you

Ramses
  • hi, welcome! i am also on the other forum.
    we get more bots here (spammers) so don't be surprised if you see some weird comment in bad english with advertising signature about buying trainers (sports shoes)!
    which part of america is seattle?
    (am ignorant european)
    :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14559.msg165522#msg165522 date=1375602928]
    hi, welcome! i am also on the other forum.
    we get more bots here (spammers) so don't be surprised if you see some weird comment in bad english with advertising signature about buying trainers (sports shoes)!
    (am ignorant european)

It's in the state of Washington which is two states above California on the west coast. And dont worry about not knowing that, as an American i couldnt tell u where anything in Europe is :)
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=14559.msg165523#msg165523 date=1375634207]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14559.msg165522#msg165522 date=1375602928]
    hi, welcome! i am also on the other forum.
    (am ignorant european)

It's in the state of Washington which is two states above California on the west coast. And dont worry about not knowing that, as an American i couldnt tell u where anything in Europe is :)

Beat me to it :P

Yes, Washington state...home of Seattle. We are the state that borders British Columbia, Canada as well.