2 Canonizations

The Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church officially canonized both H.H. Pope Kyrollos 6th and Archdeacon Habib Girgis as Saints today.

Axeyee Axeyee Axeyee

ReturnOrthodox

Comments

• Just a question:

The rule of "50 years period needed for canonization after the departure of a believer" was often cited to explain the delay in canonization of Pope Kyrillos VI and other saints. They were very rigid about it.

Now, only 42 years have elapsed since the departure of Pope Kyrillos VI, the saintly Pope and the greatest father we had in the past 10 centuries. 

Did the Synod make an exception only for this case? Are they going to observe this rule in the future?
  • LOL. Well, I hope that it was just an exception. God knows the storm that would result if we started canonizing people early. On another note, we have a church in my area named the "Church of St. Mina and Pope Kyrollos the pillar of faith." Of course, this is a ploy to get HHPK6 into the game, and a pretty disrespectful game to play on the pillarof faith. Not a single Icon of The Pillar in there... (Many Pictures of HHPK6.) Now I love HHPK6 greatly, and he is a personal intercessor of mine, but I am going to role over in laughter the day when they change the church name (and believe you me they will do it faster than you can say "canonized.")

The church was named St. Mina and Pope Cyrill the Pillar of faith. Says it all. Not named after Cyril and Athanasius, Cyril and Dioscoros, Cyril and Leo (that was just a joke to get a rise out of you Stavro haha)

In any case, I don't think Pope Kyrellos would have minded if we waited another 8 years for this, but here we are. Lets just hope that is one exception.

RO
  • RO,

Anyone know where this rule of 50 is found in the canonical corpus? Or perhaps it is just one of those rules that became such in the collective consciousness of the Church by being repeated so often? Do other Apostolic Churches observe a similar rule?

Part of the problem is the abysmal state of Canon Law in the Coptic Church...there is no such thing as a Pedalion of Coptic Canon Law, but at least we can easily access the canons of the first three ecumenical synods, as well as the canons of the medieval patriarchs (Ibn Turaik, Cycil bin Laqlaq, Athanasius...etc) and finally Al-Magmou Al-Safawi.
  • a church in my area ...... Of course, this is a ploy to get HHPK6 into the game, and a pretty disrespectful game to play on the pillarof faith. Not a single Icon of The Pillar in there... (Many Pictures of HHPK6.)

[ deleted by Admin ]

Maybe they do not know the difference between both saints. Probably they do not know that the Pillar of Faith is a title of Cyril I and attach to Cyril VI.

Well, please note that the Pillar of Faith does not perform miracles and does not sell books. His asheyah does not attract many people. Even his books talk about the nature of Christ and not about feel good Christianity. What is the use of him?

Cyril and Leo (that was just a joke to get a rise out of you Stavro haha

;D

There is no problem at all with this. After all, Leo is depicted with Archangel Michael in many icons of the great Archangels.   
  • Ramez,

As I understand it (mind you, I am nothing of a "Canonist") the Coptic Church does not really have a set of canons that we can call authoritative. most rules are word of mouth and are obeyed as best as the synod sees it. The authoritatice canons are generally pre-chalcedon before we were left in shambles. As such, I do not have any problem with the Synod canonizing early at all. Im sorry if any of my messages made it seems as such. Truth be told, a saint is a saint far before they die, whether we announce it 50 years after or a week after, or that night at dinner is, in my opinion, secondary.

What I am saying is that it is good to allow much time to pass from the death of a person before canonization so as to allow for hysteria to die down. Both those who violently oppose a person and those who religiously follow a person would die out, and the decision would be clearer. I believe this is the reason of the supposed 50 years.

I am not sure, Ramez, about other churches, or their canons. I will take a look and get back to you. I know that the Catholic church, as per its nature, probably has 22 and a half encyclicals written on this.  ;D ;D ;D

RO
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14497.msg165172#msg165172 date=1371744404]
    Axeyee Axeyee Axeyee

It should be Axioi Axioi Axioi :)
  • Pronounced axeyee
  • No problem. Recall that word "Leepon" is actually spelled "loipon" although not pronounced thus. I suppose it is the same rule. Rem may confirm

Love you Qawe :)

Ray
  • Ekhrestos anesty
    yes it's the same rule but there is no "p" in proper Coptic pronunciation..
    oujai
  • alithos anesti!

i am happy with the news, i feel better about kissing my pope kyrillos picture now
    ;)

this habeeb girgis, is he the one whose daughter wrote the coptic history book?
    coz i could probably find a picture of his to kiss next time i'm in central england
  • No...the author of the book you refer to is Iris Habib Almasri.

Habib Girgis was celibate.
  • tell us his life story please!
    i know less than 100 saints; need to catch up!
    ;)
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=14497.msg165188#msg165188 date=1371770735]
    [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14497.msg165187#msg165187 date=1371770489]
    Pronounced axeyee

My bad
    On OC.net they write Axioi, I guess they don't have OB pronunciation there

Hmmm OB doesn't apply to greek I thought
  • I wasn't making an appeal to the OB. I don't know how that came about. Forgive me if I misrepresented my point,

RO
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=14497.msg165180#msg165180 date=1371754923]
    There is no problem at all with this. After all, Leo is depicted with Archangel Michael in many icons of the great Archangels. 
    WHAT???!!! What so-called "icons" depict Leo this way?

He means these lol. Man, only Stavro could make a staunch ecumenist like myself laugh at a joke like that. What can I say? 'Twas an excellent comeback!

RO
  • back on topic-
    :P

i think saint mina was smiling more than usual on his feast day today because saint baba kyrillos (do we still call him pope if we call him saint?) is canonised too!

thanks for the article on saint habib girgis, but i often wondered, surely people in the coptic church taught their children before the 'modern' sunday school movement with deacons classes and choirs for girls and boys etc.
    what was it like in the really old days?
    did kids' education get less in the time of the ottoman empire?

am missing bits of egyptian history!
    please help!
    :)
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14497.msg165225#msg165225 date=1371874085]

He means these lol. Man, only Stavro could make a staunch ecumenist like myself laugh at a joke like that. What can I say? 'Twas an excellent comeback!

RO
    Lol, OK. I need to learn how to take a joke, because I almost had a heart attack! Hahahaha.
  • I felt for you bro! I almost felt a schism coming along hehe. God help us all. I personally don't mind Leo of Rome. But that is for another time and another thread!

Yalla, imbesetee ya mabsoota :D

(Lets see if that made sense)

RO
  • ha, i'm a bit 'baseeta' when it comes to understanding arabic!

i guess the word 'mabsoota' originally refers to someone naive or innocent and it came to mean 'happy' in colloquial egyptian arabic at a later stage.
    so i'm sorry i can't guess whether 'imbaseetee' is from the 'happy' shade of meaning of 'baseet' or from the 'simple' one.

can you help me?
    (the simple, happy copt)
  • Lol. You taught me Arabic today. I had no idea that Mabsoot comes from Baseet. :)

It means get happy, happy.

Ray
  • i don't know for sure, but the spelling is the same (same sort of 'ta') and the 'ya' often turns into 'waw' in derived words.
    so i am assuming it's from the same root, but maybe someone else can help us.
  • Mabsoota is the feminine of mabsoot, colloquial for happy, not a formal Arabic word, as it refers to relaxing the muscles of the face "Yembeset" not formal, only slang.. baseet on the other hand is both formal and slang meaning simple.. yes the root is the same but different meanings, pretty much like speak and bespoke.. hope that makes sense
    oujai
  • thank you!
    ;D
    so if it's only colloquial, then will non egyptians arabic speakers not understand it?
  • Egyptian Arabic is the most understandable amongst the Arabic speaking countries.. that's one of the easier words, and there are other slang words that could be much more difficult to understand.. makes sense?
    oujai