SSN information on marriage contract

Why do we provide our Social Security Number, and why does a witness need to provide their SSN to be engaged or married in the coptic church?

Comments

• [quote author=davidschanter link=topic=14434.msg164726#msg164726 date=1369186958]
    Why do we provide our Social Security Number, and why does a witness need to provide their SSN to be engaged or married in the coptic church?

because the marriage certificate that the church provides is consider a legal document with which you use to become a legal couple.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14434.msg164727#msg164727 date=1369188035]
    because the marriage certificate that the church provides is consider a legal document with which you use to become a legal couple.

And get tax breaks, health insurance, inheritance and all the innumerable perks of being married  ;)

In Christ
    Theophilus
  • And it mystically represents the sanctification of your 9 digits in the holy sacrament for the first time in the Church, that these numbers may be written in heav....

I'm only making stuff up really  :P...very simply just for legalities in the US.  If marriage wasn't a legal contract, there would be no need to use your SSN.  The Church accommodates this for you to make life easier.
  • Do other religious institutions or christian denominations collect the SSN at marriages? Only reason I ask is bc I witnessed a bride-to-be refuse to give her SSN (after the priest explained numerous reasons) and the engagement was cancelled.
  • [quote author=davidschanter link=topic=14434.msg164730#msg164730 date=1369191835]
    Do other religious institutions or christian denominations collect the SSN at marriages? Only reason I ask is bc I witnessed a bride-to-be refuse to give her SSN (after the priest explained numerous reasons) and the engagement was cancelled.

Marriage is all about declaration. in fact, in Islam, and back then, atleast as i remember in old Egyptian movies, it was all about spreadubg the word that this person got married to this.
    To become legally married, atleast in the US (or in the tri-state here), you need a document from someone who is certified to "marry" people. Our priest i believe has this ability and they basically write contracts for you to take and register with the state to be declared married int he government eyes. A social security number is unique and identifies each person. this is to avoid any issues with identity thefts.

Now that i think about it, house or apartment contracts collect social securities number to....and pics of ID and other private information.
  • Yea for some reason she wasn't convinced of the need for it. I personally just gave my SSN to the cable company so I can get cable. Yea I was hesitant, but I need my cable. Guess she doesn't need her marriage....
    The law here states that you need your SSN (and other things like the occupations of your parents) at a marriage ceremony and that a member of clergy can perform that ceremony. I guess for us marriage ceremony is defined as engagement or marriage. Oh well, pray for her.