Confession During Holy Week

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

I wanted to prepare for Liturgy tomorrow and especially during the Feast of the Resurrection, so I was hoping to confess before hand. My priest told me that it was forbidden to confess DURING Holy Week.

That's really odd because there's the liturgy tomorrow and being prepared for it, through confession, is quite important.

If I'm not mistaken, the Homily on this day is by Saint John Chrysostom who emphasises the importance of being prepared to take this sacrament, and of "slothfullness" concerning receiving the Holy Communion.

This is remarkable that the Church forbids confession during Holy Week.

May I just ask why - especially if its for preparation for Holy Communion, I'm truly baffled.

Comments

• I've never heard of anything like that. I've certainly confessed during Holy Week before!
  • Probably he is too busy with church and other duties.
    The Great Lent was almost 2 months long, there was enough time to confess.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=14406.msg164397#msg164397 date=1367444866]
    I've never heard of anything like that. I've certainly confessed during Holy Week before!

Very strange.

This is seriously wrong to partake of the Holy Communion when you know you should confess.

On top of this, to focus on Christ's suffering without confessing is making a mockery of His Suffering/Passion.

I cannot believe this. This defeats the entire purpose of Passion Week.

I find the logic behind preventing people confessing during Holy Week, not only odd, but actually contrary to Orthodoxy. This is HABALLA!

-> No Servos - he said to me :"Its forbidden for a priest to give an absolution DURING holy week"
  • OK.. regardless - what is the official view of the COC? is it ok to confess during the Holy week? i haven't confessed in ages, and I feel so bad to have communion on the Eid without having confessed in such a long time.

What am I meant to do?
  • [quote author=dthoxsasiPhilanethrope link=topic=14406.msg164400#msg164400 date=1367446331]
    OK.. regardless - what is the official view of the COC? is it ok to confess during the Holy week? i haven't confessed in ages, and I feel so bad to have communion on the Eid without having confessed in such a long time.

What am I meant to do?

Yes it is ok to confess anytime. You should repent from your sins alone in front of God, and go ask the Priest to confess. If he says that he is busy tell him that you repented and if you can take communion because of the situation. He will more than likely allow you and then confess in a later time.
  • You can confess anytime.
  • Inform the local bishop about the problem. Not necessarily personally the bishop, but some of his deputies or secretaries.
  • [quote author=Servos link=topic=14406.msg164404#msg164404 date=1367499744]
    Inform the local bishop about the problem. Not necessarily personally the bishop, but some of his deputies or secretaries.

Well, i just heard that confessions are not allowed during Holy Week - focus should not be on your sins, but Christ's sufferings/passion.

Its quite ironic as my sins are the cause of His Suffering.. but yalla... let's just focus on His Sufferings instead.
  • [quote author=dthoxsasiPhilanethrope link=topic=14406.msg164400#msg164400 date=1367446331]
    OK.. regardless - what is the official view of the COC? is it ok to confess during the Holy week? i haven't confessed in ages, and I feel so bad to have communion on the Eid without having confessed in such a long time.

What am I meant to do?

Most people who confess during Holy Week do it some time during the Apocalypse Night.
  • [quote author=dthoxsasiPhilanethrope link=topic=14406.msg164405#msg164405 date=1367500481]
    [quote author=Servos link=topic=14406.msg164404#msg164404 date=1367499744]
    Inform the local bishop about the problem. Not necessarily personally the bishop, but some of his deputies or secretaries.

Well, i just heard that confessions are not allowed during Holy Week - focus should not be on your sins, but Christ's sufferings/passion.

Its quite ironic as my sins are the cause of His Suffering.. but yalla... let's just focus on His Sufferings instead.

Don't get annoyed.  If your priest doesn't allow you to confess, then it's on his head, not yours.