When do we talk?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi

I'm just wondering that as a Christian, if you see something wrong, should you say anything? If you see someone doing something immoral or wrong, even though they may not be a friend or an acquaintance, should you say anything?

I'm thinking about John the Baptist. He spoke the truth, and he was of no relation to Herod.

At work, some guy is having a sex change. Everyone in my department is laughing behind his back. They think its stupid, laughable, crazy, silly etc.. and yet in his face, they are showing an image of tolerance.

Should we not talk to him? and tell him that this wrong?

Or do you think its best to keep quiet?

Comments

• If we are not asked, I think, better is to keep quiet.
  • I would tend to agree with Servos.  If the person is not a Christian in the first place, I doubt they would take kindly to your comments about their lifestyle.  I guess you can try, God works whenever He pleases, but for the most part I think the person would not even take what you had to say very seriously.  If the person claimed to be an Orthodox Christian and was planning on getting a sex change, then the pressure to talk to them is even greater, but should be done with utmost humility, prayer, and probably in the presence of one or two other Christians.

But this is all coming from someone who has a really hard time confronting people about their sins in the first place.
  • "And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh." - Jude 1:23

When I read your post, this verse loudly stood out. Speak to your colleague as if you were talking to your close brother. He is created in God's image, yet it may be a little marred (as we all are to some degree). Speak giving milk and not solid food; to their level. Speak in love and wisdom. Before you talk to him, if you decide to, pray asking God to speak through you because He knows the depths of the person and can get through to him. You might even be surprised that he needed a hand in life. It's worth the try.

Praying for this.
  • [quote author=+iloveJesus link=topic=14396.msg164344#msg164344 date=1366976262]
    "And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh." - Jude 1:23

When I read your post, this verse loudly stood out. Speak to your colleague as if you were talking to your close brother. He is created in God's image, yet it may be a little marred (as we all are to some degree). Speak giving milk and not solid food; to their level. Speak in love and wisdom. Before you talk to him, if you decide to, pray asking God to speak through you because He knows the depths of the person and can get through to him. You might even be surprised that he needed a hand in life. It's worth the try.

Praying for this.

Lovely response. Such a beautiful post, and i love that you quoted scripture too.

thanks
  • There is a guy who was speaking about evangelism and how to start a conversation with someone.

Start as if you are having a very casual conversation. Ask about how they are etc
    Ask them: do you believe in a higher power? And LISTEN to what they are saying
    Ask questions about the things they say
    E.g. So do you have a faith? Was that passed on from your parents?

Then ask them: what do you know about Jesus? (Some people know nothing but the name..they have no idea what Jesus did!)

I wouldn't bring up the sex change topic in the first conversation.

In fact, you should build up a friendship to be able to discuss this.

Also bear in mind that some "sex change" procedures are in fact a process of reconstructive surgery. Some people are unfortunately born with deformed/absent genitalia or internal sexual organs. This is very confusing for those people who often lead confusing lives as they may have been raised up as male when they are female or vice versa.

No point in telling him up front that what he/she is doing is wrong - you have no right because you don't know the reasons behind the actions.

And always pray before setting off to talk to them. Nothing worse than thinking that we have power to change people or open their eyes. Only God can.