Pope Tawadoros wishes to meet Pope Francis

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,
I was just reading the news articles in the Coptic Corner app - if you go in the news section, you'll see that the main headlines are about the attacks on the Church, then there's a French news article saying that H.H Pope Tawadaros wishes to meet H.H Pope Francis at the Vatican.

Does anyone here have further information about this?

I cannot use my iphone at work, so I cannot check the news, but if you have any more information on this, could you let me know:

* Why does he wish to meet the Catholic Pope for?
* Is it to discuss unity?

This is terribly exciting stuff.

I can't wait for these two to meet. Both seem to have a lot of energy, and i'm sure they wish unity.

In the meantime, if I find the same news article on the web, I'll post it on this thread.

Thanks

Comments

• OK. I found the article:

http://www.la-croix.com/Religion/Urbi-Orbi/Monde/Le-pape-copte-Tawadros-souhaiterait-rencontrer-le-pape-Francois-2013-04-09-930736

Translation:

Pope Tawadros wishes to meet Pope Francis (Francois)

According to the Egyptian Daily: Al Masry Al Youm.

I do not read arabic, but if anyone has Al Masry al Youm paper, can you kindly give us a summary of what the paper is suggesting?

Thanks
  • Sorry to burst your bubble Zoxasi, but unity is very very very unlikely in the medium term.
  • Then what is the meeting about?

This is still exciting.
  • It is good to begin both papacies with a strong relationship with other churches. Our church and the Catholic church haven't met in a while (Pope Shenouda and Pope John Paul II). It looks good on Pope Tawadros' side, personally greeting and congratulating Pope Francis. I can only see good coming out of this--not to the point of unity but for sure it will strengthen ties between the two leaders early on.
  • The EO patriarch went to the enthronement. This is merely expanding relationships and us OO saying "Don't forget about us."

Unity is not really a point of discussion here, and maybe not anymore. It has been discussed forever, and no moving forward. I think that all we can do learn to be real Orthodox on our own. We have a long way to go.

RO
  • How comes our pope didn't go to the enthronement of pope Francis then??

Was he not invited?
  • [quote author=dthoxsasiPhilanethrope link=topic=14366.msg164152#msg164152 date=1365624743]
    How comes our pope didn't go to the enthronement of pope Francis then??

Was he not invited?

H.G. Bishop Youssef of Bolivia told us that he wanted to go, but he couldn't because he didn't go to the Ethiopian papal enthronement, so it wouldn't be right. Therefore, he sent 3 Coptic bishops as delegates, one being H.G. Bishop Youssef.
  • [quote author=Monasticsx link=topic=14366.msg164156#msg164156 date=1365639552]
    [quote author=dthoxsasiPhilanethrope link=topic=14366.msg164152#msg164152 date=1365624743]
    How comes our pope didn't go to the enthronement of pope Francis then??

Was he not invited?

H.G. Bishop Youssef of Bolivia told us that he wanted to go, but he couldn't because he didn't go to the Ethiopian papal enthronement, so it wouldn't be right. Therefore, he sent 3 Coptic bishops as delegates, one being H.G. Bishop Youssef.

Very interesting, MonasticsX. Actually, I think the choice of three Bishops was wise. One from Bolivia (near where the New Pope originates) and another from Italy (where the new Pope is.)
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=14366.msg164157#msg164157 date=1365640714]
    Very interesting, MonasticsX. Actually, I think the choice of three Bishops was wise. One from Bolivia (near where the New Pope originates) and another from Italy (where the new Pope is.)

Wow, that's true, amazing observation! Your right, the other to were H.G. Bishop Kyrollos of Milano, and H.G. Bishop Barnaba of Rome. I would have never thought of that...
  • It didnt look good that he didnt attend the ceremony with Pope Francis.

You know in that occasion, they gave H.H Patriarch Bartholemew a special seat. If H.H Pope Tawadaros was there, would he have had the same treatment?

Is the relationship between Rome and Constantinople stronger than Rome and Alexandria?
  • Zoxasi (Your new name is to long lol)

Indeed, it may have not looked that good, but we also have to consider the effect that missing the Ethiopian Patriarch's enthronement and attending the Roman pontiff's enthronement would have on the unity within the Oriental churches. I agree that it would have been nice for the Pope to go, but I can't speak too well for the mind of the Pope. I guess that the synod know about the inter-relationships of the churches.

Your next two question go hand in hand. I guess that the answer is that he wouldn't have gotten the same seat, and the reason is because they are closer than Rome and Alexandria. Rome interacts with Constantinople through many venues such as Greece, Poland, Russia, Georgia, Serbia, Ukrain, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Antioch, etc. Where as Rome only interacts with the Alexandria on the Alexandrian venue of the Coptic Catholic Church. There are more uniates with Rome in the Byzantine world than in the Alexandrian one.

Makes sense?

RO