The Fall

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have heard some explanations regarding The Fall and would like to verify if these are Orthodox teachings.

God took three measures to prevent man from being eternal in his sin.
1. God drove man out of Eden
2. God placed Cherubim to protect the tree 
3. God allowed death

“And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.” Genesis 3:22-24

I am not sure about the third point whether God allowed man to die for our protection or punishment. It is less Augustinian to say for our protection but I didn’t wan’t to jump to the wrong conclusion.

So my question is are the above three points and specially the third one meant for our protection or punishment?

In Christ
Theophilus 

Comments

• "The wages of sin is death." (Rom 6:23)

Paraphrased:
    The consequence or reward of sin is death

sounds like punishment to me.

God's punishment doesn't mean He doesn't love us.

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten." (Rev. 3:19).

Chastening according to dictionary.com means to: " inflict suffering upon for purposes of moral improvement."
    Synonyms according to dictionary.com:  discipline, punish.

I just don't see how death can be a type of protection when before Christ it was a direct path to Hades.

Through Christ's death and resurrection, the gates of Paradise have been opened and so death has been defeated.
    "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom 6:23)

Also, we now do partake of the tree of life who is Christ Himself in communion.

Sorry if I didn't add to anything, I was just writing my thoughts down.
  • Sifaing, thanks for your feed back. What do you think about the first two points?

I would love to hear more from the forum regarding these points.

In Christ
    Theophilus
  • Didn't God simply tell them, "If you eat from the tree you will surely die"?!