11 classes for palm sunday hymns...go all the way to end of thread

if u like it subscribe to the channel and share it with your friends
we just started this service and we need to know if its useful and we should keep doing it or not
thanks

Comments

• If this were facebook, I would definitely like. Great for teaching hymns at church in large numbers. I appreciate it.
  • Good stuff, Peter. Very unique "hazzats" that are surprisingly pretty easy to follow

• Meghalo in 40 minutes
  • [quote author=petertawfik link=topic=14293.msg163591#msg163591 date=1362187558]

Meghalo in 40 minutes

Thank you so much for this. This is great for someone who already knows it, and needs review. But I think it was a little too fast for first time.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14293.msg163593#msg163593 date=1362196390]
    [quote author=petertawfik link=topic=14293.msg163591#msg163591 date=1362187558]

Meghalo in 40 minutes

Thank you so much for this. This is great for someone who already knows it, and needs review. But I think it was a little too fast for first time.

You can rewind the video and play it over and over again.
  • I personally, don't like this teaching style. I'm a big fan of having a person listen to the hym at least 100 times.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=14293.msg163594#msg163594 date=1362199135]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14293.msg163593#msg163593 date=1362196390]
    [quote author=petertawfik link=topic=14293.msg163591#msg163591 date=1362187558]

Meghalo in 40 minutes

You can rewind the video and play it over and over again.

I do not think that would work either. In order for me to learn a hymn as long as Meghalo, I would have to break it down into small parts, and then repeat these parts over and over again, and then add a small part and then repeat the whole thing again... etc. No matter how many times I listen to a video like this, I will not be able to recite the whole hymn solo. With a group maybe, but not alone.
  • Excellent service!  Keep it up  :)
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=14293.msg163595#msg163595 date=1362214794]
    I personally, don't like this teaching style. I'm a big fan of having a person listen to the hym at least 100 times.

Most people don't have that much time to dedicate to learning hymns this way, but it's great if it works for you though.
  • hazzat maps always leave me confused, i suppose because i have not seen how they are used.
    can someone please send a link to 'tai shory' (the only hymn i know reasonably well) so i can see how the little marks and signs correspond to the tune?

then, maybe i will also need 'ti shory' as it is nearly lent, and i never could learn that hymn well.

and another thing (i am very confused!)
    is it right that 'ti shory' is used all the time during lent, but weekdays only during other fasts?

and... if i can ask one more question, i have seen recently some churches saying 'je ak ee' on weekends, and other 'je ak tonk'.
    actually i was somewhere on sunday where they did both, so maybe i am not the only person confused about this!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14293.msg163616#msg163616 date=1362422458]
    hazzat maps always leave me confused, i suppose because i have not seen how they are used.
    can someone please send a link to 'tai shory' (the only hymn i know reasonably well) so i can see how the little marks and signs correspond to the tune?

then, maybe i will also need 'ti shory' as it is nearly lent, and i never could learn that hymn well.

and another thing (i am very confused!)
    is it right that 'ti shory' is used all the time during lent, but weekdays only during other fasts?

and... if i can ask one more question, i have seen recently some churches saying 'je ak ee' on weekends, and other 'je ak tonk'.
    actually i was somewhere on sunday where they did both, so maybe i am not the only person confused about this!

Mabsoota, these videos show you how the hazzats are being used. That's the point of these videos, and hopefully copies of the hazzat papers will be available soon.
  • @mabsoota

It should be je ak ee even on Sunday.
    Je ak tonk is only on sundays after the resurrection but before kiahk (and also all the Holy 50, of course)
  • geomike,
    i took a closer look.
    i only watched the first half before, and because the song is being sung with the hazzat and then at a different speed and very loudly also in the background, it put me off.
    the background noise is not there during the second half so i was able to distinguish which is the background noise and which is the noise that matches the hazzat.

i guess all the squiggles just seem to me to be indicating the same sound.
    then for aaaaaaaron, where there is the biggest variation and the most notes on the 'a',
    there is just a simple straight line, where i would have expected the most squiggles.

so i still did not get it.
    also that tune for tai shory is not the one i know, it is the extra long one.
    i will keep trying...
    :)
  • i agree with you mabssota
    i think the recording here was not very professional

but if u dont mind go that channel on youtube of that video and search more videos they have over 45 hymns now and more coming up
    i think the recording quality got away better in the recent videos
    and the maps too are away much better
    if u want we can record these videos again in better sound quality

we are trying to improve ....look at this video too

or this one,

just do me a favour
    go to youtube subscribe to the channel and give us feedback on something like oneshty emmesteryon for example and tell us how u like the sound quality

also notice in the description iot has markers if u want to jump to the next part or stekhon in the hymn
  • i see, that one (jonah's fast) is different.
    i don't have a youtube user name (i don't subscribe to stuff as i don't put any personal opinions or data on the net, except here and orthodoxChristianity.net (under my tag 'mabsoota') for lots of reasons, which i don't have time to explain now.

but it makes me wonder, why don't we just write these things with a musical notation next to them?
    i know someone has written some musical notes to coptic notes and i remember hearing it was difficult to do, but as there are no harmonies and as nearly all the coptic music i know uses a 2/4 or 4/4 rhythm, maybe it would not be more difficult than using lots of different types of hazzats.
    the hazzats on that jonah's fast hymn are very similar to musical notes already.
    i know it is not traditional to use european musical notation for african music, but simon and garfunkel managed it, so maybe we could...
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14293.msg163646#msg163646 date=1362521925]
    i see, that one (jonah's fast) is different.
    i don't have a youtube user name (i don't subscribe to stuff as i don't put any personal opinions or data on the net, except here and orthodoxChristianity.net (under my tag 'mabsoota') for lots of reasons, which i don't have time to explain now.

but it makes me wonder, why don't we just write these things with a musical notation next to them?
    i know someone has written some musical notes to coptic notes and i remember hearing it was difficult to do, but as there are no harmonies and as nearly all the coptic music i know uses a 2/4 or 4/4 rhythm, maybe it would not be more difficult than using lots of different types of hazzats.
    the hazzats on that jonah's fast hymn are very similar to musical notes already.
    i know it is not traditional to use european musical notation for african music, but simon and garfunkel managed it, so maybe we could...
    ;)

That is a really good idea, but I doubt it will spread... Most of the church Chantors (ma'alam) donot know musical notations so they just use their own notation to teach the hymns.

P.S This is probably not going to help you because you donot have a facebook, but I am going to put it out there anyways. There is a group on facebook that posts musical notes for all kind of Coptic hymns. It is called "Coptic Hymns Notations"
  • There is a lot of people who can't read musical notation, but there some on the David Ensemble website if that is what suits your fancy.

• That's one more new video hoping we r getting ready to lent
  • Very nice, thanks, especially for the explanations at the beginning of the videos...But why always 1min15 of apekran in the intro ?
  • Lol :) :) :)
    Ok well  u can skip it
    I know it might be annoying but it's like any program intro with many episodes
    Each episode has the same intro

• We fixed that issue responding to ur feedback
  • Lol nice  :D

• and now omongenees
  • If you could do ni ethnos tiro it would be great :) and thanks again for this channel, helped me a lot
  • GOD willing after we get through all the resurrection feast hymns
    We are almost done with Good Friday so inshallah it's just a very long process for recording in that quality with editing and posting
    Pray for us
  • I'm sorry I can't download the papers on the site, can you explain how to please ?
  • [quote author=toitoi link=topic=14293.msg163980#msg163980 date=1364229073]
    I'm sorry I can't download the papers on the site, can you explain how to please ?

You click on the link and when it displays the picture right click on it and click download.
  • I just saw on the website that some were now available thanks :)
  • [quote author=toitoi link=topic=14293.msg163985#msg163985 date=1364241763]
    I just saw on the website that some were now available thanks :)

Yep, for now all the Great Lent ones are posted on there, eventually more and more papers will be added.

• 11 class for palm sunday