Hi from Toronto, Canada :)

edited December 1969 in Introductions
Hello folks,

I found this forum yesterday while searching a story about Coptic Christians in New Jersey.  I am not Coptic, but I am very interested in Coptic history, culture, and current situation.  My family is from Lebanon, I was born in Canada.  My family is of Lebanese Maronite and Orthodox background, though I was raised in a western denomination.  I do not speak Arabic well but I know just a little.  Spent a month in Lebanon last year, never been to Egypt but would love to go one day to see some of the churches and pyramids. 

Anyways, thanks for approving my membership and I hope to participate  from time to time.

Chris+

Comments

• Welcome to the forums Chris+ 
  • My beloved Bro Chris,
    Im soo happy to see you tasbeha.org, if you don't mind telling me where you live, so i can find you a priest to talk to you more about the coptic church.
    Thanks, God bless you
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=14281.msg163424#msg163424 date=1361345233]
    My beloved Bro Chris,
    Im soo happy to see you tasbeha.org, if you don't mind telling me where you live, so i can find you a priest to talk to you more about the coptic church.
    Thanks, God bless you

Hello, thanks for the welcome!

I live in Oakville near Sheridan but next month I will be going to Saskatchewan for my work. 

I would be very interested in learning more about the Coptic Church.

Best regards
  • hi, chris+,
    we recognise your photo, may the holy martyrs remember us before the throne of God.

the important thing on your journey is that you are on a spiritual journey.
    keep searching until you find the depths of the love of God.
    you can find God at work in any Christian church, but if you want the really deep and long lasting peace, then you need to be in an orthodox church.
    i came from a protestant church (tried most denominations!) 4 years ago, and i can honestly say i found what i was looking for.

the coptic orthodox church is extra special for me as we have here centuries of good teaching on how to live and die for Jesus Christ.
    most of the church tradition teaches us how to accept God's will and love those around us, even in hard times.
    before, as a western european protestant, i ran away from suffering, believing that a victorious Christian life meant not suffering.
    now i know it means being victorious over our negative thoughts and negative reactions (hate, pride etc.)

may you be victorious in your spiritual journey!
    :)
    mabsoota
    ('happy')
  • Very warm of you mabsoota :)

I am interested in the situation of the Coptics and Christians of the Mideast in general. 

I see this is a spiritual forum more then a political one, which it doesn't really seem to be at all, but I have enjoyed reading a few threads so far and will read more about Coptic Christianity. 

Before I use to live close to St. Marks in Ottawa, which is a Coptic church but I never went.  Even a Maronite Catholic church I have been to only a few times in Canada.  I stopped attending Pentecostal church, Bible Camps, Youth groups, when I was 15-years old (I am 28 now), but I use to enjoy participating.

Some things I find disappointing is how the western churches neglect the Christians of the Middle East and the Islamic world itself.  Minorities are under fire there, Christians of course, but even other Islamic sects such as Shia. I think it's important that we as Christians, unite for a common goal which is perseverance and to secure our future in our homelands.  Seeing the situation now in both Egypt and Syria is troublesome. 

Christians of Lebanon are still relatively secure but that could change depending what happens in the region, especially in Syria.  I read an article the other day that projected by 2030, Christians will be back to 40% of the population.  If peace ever comes to Lebanon, many say the Christians will return to Lebanon from the diaspora.

With Egypt being home to the oldest Christianity in the world,  it is imperative that Copts survive too.

• [quote author=Chris+ link=topic=14281.msg163429#msg163429 date=1361391746]
    Very warm of you mabsoota :)

I am interested in the situation of the Coptics and Christians of the Mideast in general. 

I see this is a spiritual forum more then a political one, which it doesn't really seem to be at all, but I have enjoyed reading a few threads so far and will read more about Coptic Christianity. 

Before I use to live close to St. Marks in Ottawa, which is a Coptic church but I never went.  Even a Maronite Catholic church I have been to only a few times in Canada.  I stopped attending Pentecostal church, Bible Camps, Youth groups, when I was 15-years old (I am 28 now), but I use to enjoy participating.

Some things I find disappointing is how the western churches neglect the Christians of the Middle East and the Islamic world itself.  Minorities are under fire there, Christians of course, but even other Islamic sects such as Shia. I think it's important that we as Christians, unite for a common goal which is perseverance and to secure our future in our homelands.  Seeing the situation now in both Egypt and Syria is troublesome. 

Christians of Lebanon are still relatively secure but that could change depending what happens in the region, especially in Syria.  I read an article the other day that projected by 2030, Christians will be back to 40% of the population.  If peace ever comes to Lebanon, many say the Christians will return to Lebanon from the diaspora.

With Egypt being home to the oldest Christianity in the world,  it is imperative that Copts survive too.

To be honest I don't care if the West neglect us. It is really their loss not ours. God is the protector of the Church and the more we suffer the more we see the Works of the Holy Spirit. Something the Western Christians have lost to materialism straying away from Orthodox and Apostolic tradition.
  • Unfortunately there are no coptic churches in Saskatchmen
  • Well they neglect the Armenian genocide as well, just to appease their Turkish interests.  They neglected the Palestinian Christians, the Lebanese Christians, the Iraqi Christians who were all but cleansed at the helm of Islamist extremists.  The division within our Christian communities is also dangerous. 

Yeah, I didn't expect there to be a Coptic church in Saskatchewan.  I work with a large energy/mining company so I go where they send me :D
  • there are 1 or 2 (!!) eastern orthodox:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/List_of_parishes_in_Saskatchewan_(Canada)

seems like half of ukraine is there.
  • I was working in a town named after immigrants from Hungary, Esterhazy. I remember seeing an Orthodox church. 

The first Lebanese people touched down in Saskatchewan sometimes in the 1940s.

NO doubt there are Egyptians out there, Saskatchewan has grown rapidly over the past few years.

I met on Coptic-Egyptian here who ran a convenient store.  I noticed his Egyptian newspaper with a picture of Pope Tawadros on it, unfortunately I have only known one Coptic person, he was from Sudan.  I find that Coptic Christians very much prefer to speak Arabic, unlike many Lebanese who prefer to speak English, French.

I don't know how many Coptic-Egyptians we have in Canada.  Hopefully not too many, hopefully your people can prserve their existence in your ancestral homeland.  Sadly a few months ago I read that a new Coptic church was firebombed in Brampton.  Love how Jason Kenney has met with Coptic and other minority Christians groups and listened to what they had to say.  Very proud our government has not worked with the Muslim Brotherhood or radical Salafist groups as the Americans have.
  • Welcome to the forums, Chris+!

And just on a quick side note, I wanted to thank mabsoota for this:
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14281.msg163427#msg163427 date=1361375933]
    the coptic orthodox church is extra special for me as we have here centuries of good teaching on how to live and die for Jesus Christ.
    most of the church tradition teaches us how to accept God's will and love those around us, even in hard times.
    before, as a western european protestant, i ran away from suffering, believing that a victorious Christian life meant not suffering.
    now i know it means being victorious over our negative thoughts and negative reactions (hate, pride etc.)

For me, this is what being a Christian is all about.  As Orthodox we have the Sacraments and then what mabsoota mentioned.  So what else is there?  These are all you need. :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14281.msg163427#msg163427 date=1361375933]
    hi, chris+,
    we recognise your photo, may the holy martyrs remember us before the throne of God.

the important thing on your journey is that you are on a spiritual journey.
    keep searching until you find the depths of the love of God.
    you can find God at work in any Christian church, but if you want the really deep and long lasting peace, then you need to be in an orthodox church.
    i came from a protestant church (tried most denominations!) 4 years ago, and i can honestly say i found what i was looking for.

may you be victorious in your spiritual journey!
    mabsoota
    ('happy')

Hero Member Mabsoota is right!
    Orthodox Christianity is the original! The Catholic were the first to break off from us and form their own type of Christianity, the the Protestant broke from them because they didn't believe in baptism and then another group broke off who are now known today as The Baptist Church. I'm not sure whether they call themselves so because they believe in baptism unlike their former Protestant fathers. There is also a very recent group who are called The Mormons and I know absolutely nothing about them.

My name is John from South Australia I'm new here too this is my first post. I hope I did that quoting thing right!